If my source is single ended and output is balance, will that make any differences or do I got to have both balance in and out to hear real improvement over the single ended. I am contemplating on getting balance cable for in and out.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for "best" portable amp for Audeze LCD-2 Last post on 8/30/12 at 10:36pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable amp for LCD2 Last post on 10/9/14 at 2:58pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Anyone using RE262 with a balanced portable amp ? Last post on 10/16/11 at 3:09pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- iBasso DB-2, the Boomslang 2 with dual dacs and 24/196 input. 1st 10 sales to Japanese Tsunami... Last post on 9/1/14 at 12:01pm in Portable Source Gear
- Portable Amp DT880's Last post on 4/28/11 at 2:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)
Last edited: 12/22/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I spent a week with the OPPO PM-3 through the head-fi loaner program, and got the chance to try them out on a variety of pieces. 99% of my headphone listening is classical music of one type or...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION Following the successful launch of the initial Trinity range on Kickstarter, Bob (Trinity's CEO and...
REVIEW: ifi Pro iCan Equipment used: Headphones: Sennheiser HD800S, Hifiman Edition X, Hifiman HE-560, AKG K7XX, Audeze LCD-2f, Sennheiser Momentum, HD-650, Oppo PM-2, PM-3, Aurisonics ASG...
Thank-you to Pandora of Brainwavz for supplying the Omega for review. Brainwavz has been around for a while now and this isn't my first encounter with one of their products. In 2011 I...
I picked this up second hand on ebay, more out of curiosity than anything. I'm just getting into listening with headphones and one of my amps doesn't have a headphone socket, so this seemed like as...
ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions - Page 21post #301 of 10526/20/12 at 4:15pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #302 of 10526/20/12 at 4:23pmQuote:
My experience using the HD25, DT1350 and Westone 4r single ended in and balanced out compared with simply single ended out is an improvement. With my ES5 I really can't tell if it really is an improvement between single ended and balanced out. The ES5 to me makes almost everything sound good; therefore, it is harder for me to evaluate any difference. I do not use my iBasso DB2 balanced input into the Mk3 because my DX100 single ended output from its dac is better in my opinion than the balanced output of the DB2, not that the DB2 isn't good.post #303 of 10526/20/12 at 4:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by slwiser
My experience using the HD25, DT1350 and Westone 4r single ended in and balanced out compared with simply single ended out is an improvement. With my ES5 I really can't tell if it really is an improvement between single ended and balanced out. The ES5 to me makes almost everything sound good; therefore, it is harder for me to evaluate any difference. I do not use my iBasso DB2 balanced input into the Mk3 because my DX100 single ended output from its dac is better in my opinion than the balanced output of the DB2, not that the DB2 isn't good.
Ok good, in that case I will order a balance just for the LCD-3 and use single ended in. I am going for Q -audio again and was wondering which termination should I select.
I am also curious about the es5 when you said it makes almost everything sound good. I just order the sony ex1000 2 days ago and now thinking of getting es5 as well. Did you use the free self impression kit that comes with it?
Thanks slwiserpost #304 of 10526/20/12 at 4:41pmQuote:
How is it valid to compare a balanced portable amp to a high end portable source, albeit one with an internal amp ?
RS71B - sure
DX100 - lets compare apples with apples .....post #305 of 10526/20/12 at 4:41pm
Remember, earphones/headphones that use multiple crossovers will have their optimal frequency responses affected by use in balanced mode. Some, in fact, sound worse because they were tweaked for very specific frequency responses. Some, may sound as good or better. It's a crap shoot.
With phones like LCD, however, I would expect in every instance for the balanced mode to sound better as there is simply more signal quality for each channel: better stereo separation, less distortion. Audible improvement for sure.post #306 of 10526/20/12 at 4:47pmQuote:
Ken, pardon my naivety, but isn't it fair to say that you designed the Mk3 to drive demanding fullsize cans rather than ultra-sensitive IEMs ? To my way of thinking, we already have an abundance of portable headphone amps for the IEM crowd.post #307 of 10526/20/12 at 4:48pmQuote:
I think it's fair to compare their overall sound quality, considering the money they cost -- particularly with single ended output from the DX100 with single ended from the Rx3 (from a similar source, if possible).
And even with the Portaphile 627, I'd like to see how its single ended output compares overall to both balanced and single ended from the Rx3. For me, and maybe for others, either one of these will be the next major upgrade path.
Edited by sunninho - 6/20/12 at 4:50pmpost #308 of 10526/20/12 at 4:49pmQuote:
I got my ES5 via a local audiologist who made the order for me.post #309 of 10526/20/12 at 4:58pmQuote:
The comparison I was making was the single ended source part of the DX100 (line out) to the balanced out of the iBasso DB2 which are both source signals into the Mk3.
Now my question to anyone able to answer this is anyone in agreement with my take on the quality of the DX100 line out compared with say the balanced output of the DB2 into the Mk3. I am open to having this opinion challenged since I am not so sure that I am able to shave such distinctions clearly. I am comfortable with using it in the manner that I do though. It certainly is easier to handle than adding a third box to the mix with the iBasso DB2; i.e., only the DX100 + Mk3-b. If I had to bypass the DX100 dac it would be better for me to use my iTouch since it would be much smaller than the DX100 being used only as a transport.
Edited by slwiser - 6/20/12 at 5:01pmpost #310 of 10526/20/12 at 5:02pmQuote:
Actually i would agree with this assessment even though I use my Mk3 primarily with my ES5 now.post #311 of 10526/20/12 at 5:19pm
It seems to work just as well for multi-crossover, lowΩ balanced armature IEMs, which for most amps, are actually harder to drive resolution to. If you are talking about volume to ear-destroying levels with headphones, that is one thing - a thing that for some reason isn't discussed enough here. I've heard some people here say with pride that they listen to volumes of 115dB with headphones/earphones.
Most amps can pump that, and voltage isn't something hard to pump out, either. Giving balance, control, and full resolution to specific Ω levels, is harder. The Rx gives all of that to the lowest of Ω earphones and to the highest Ω of headphones, all within bleeding levels of volume (over 100dB). No phase errors, very good balance (to within 0,01 dB) in low gain, and off by up to 0,03 dB in high gain which is far better than most of the competition (read in the price category). ALO aren't selling an advertising claim, they seem to be selling still the optimal amp for all headphones. IEMs are the hardest to drive full resolution into. Then you have headphones like K701 which are at a low enough Ω level with low/high enough impedance swings (like balanced armature IEMs) and they, too, are tackled perfectly by the Rx III.
Maybe it's the be-all-end-all amp. I'm not sure. It's certainly impressive.post #312 of 10526/20/12 at 9:28pmpost #313 of 10526/21/12 at 4:26am
As I posted on another thread, I got a chance to try firstly the RX II with CLAS running my Miracle Custom IEM, and thought wow..... as this was my first session with this combo, even though it was SE - a match that sonicaly was a Awesome. Then it was bought to my attention that they had a RXIII in the Store......Again SE do not own a balanced cable. I thought I had found an Awesome match well let me tell you even at SE it was really something else another level again. I have not tried Ray's amps or the other amp that I would like to hear would be Jans Stepdance....But Honestly How good is this MKIII ? Ken youre on a winner mate. Congratulations, aghhh I can only Imagine what this thing is capable of in balanced mode???? kinda wets the appetite...post #314 of 10526/21/12 at 4:42am
I'm meeting another RXIII owner this weekend and will compare our devices. Mine's black. So is my MKI. I think the new finish is nicer, surely doesn't attract as many finger prints. Maguire, how is balance on your unit? Mine is within 1 decibel on lowest volume settings, and within 1/10% at near 100% in low, and mid, and on high, within 1dB at 70-80% volumes.
- ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › LG-V10 Hi-Fi audio quality review on serious audio performance 2 minutes ago
- › V-MODA Shield Design Discussion 2 minutes ago
- › Balanced 2.5 mm 4 pole mmcx cable 3 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-E70, ATH-E50, ATH-E40 IEMs announced at NAMM 2016 5 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue D 5 minutes ago
- › Uptone Regen, Curious USB cable 1.5m, Intona USB Isolator standard 6 minutes ago
- › Soundmagic HP150 impressions thread. 6 minutes ago
- › JBL lsr305 custom color? 6 minutes ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 7 minutes ago
- › Popular Classical Music 8 minutes ago
- › OPPO PM-3 by gardibolt
- › Trinity Audio Engineering Atlas water resistant sports in-ear monitor by Brooko
- › iFi Pro iCAN by Koolpep
- › Brainwavz Omega In Ear Earbuds Noise Isolating Earphones Remote... by Deviltooth
- › Bravo Audio Ocean by Varley58
- › Darkvoice 336SE by Shasari
- › HiFime SPDIF Optical 9018 DAC by HiFiChris
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by harry501501
- › TFZ Series 1 by TwinACStacks
- › NuForce HEM4 Reference Class Hi-Res In-Ear Headphones with Dual... by Jackpot77
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...