If my source is single ended and output is balance, will that make any differences or do I got to have both balance in and out to hear real improvement over the single ended. I am contemplating on getting balance cable for in and out.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for "best" portable amp for Audeze LCD-2 Last post on 8/30/12 at 10:36pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Portable amp for LCD2 Last post on 8/14/14 at 8:35am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Anyone using RE262 with a balanced portable amp ? Last post on 10/16/11 at 3:09pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- iBasso DB-2, the Boomslang 2 with dual dacs and 24/196 input. 1st 10 sales to Japanese Tsunami... Last post on 9/1/14 at 12:01pm in Portable Source Gear
- Portable Amp DT880's Last post on 4/28/11 at 2:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs)
Last edited: 7/30/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Some people may remember my Mrice E100 review which tells about being the best 2014 earbud king ? … with Blox BE3 .. you can forget that ! welcome to the new earbud that comes from another world...
Hi people. I have owned a pair of these earphones for over a year now, and this is what I think about them. I am a beginner reviewer so please, have some understanding. Also, English is not my...
Hello out there, this is a recorder, yes, a digital recorder - not one of those midget-screen playback gimmicks. In the hands of the ambitious recording enthusiast, it turns to an universal tool,...
The new S5 from Brainwavz will certainly please most casual listeners. It's sleek design, tangle-proof flat capable, and pop-ready sound signature certainly justify it's price - not to mention...
Fist of all, this is my first ever review,and English is not my native language, so please, have some understanding . I bought these headphones 9 months ago, they were my first "quality"...
ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions - Page 21post #301 of 9076/20/12 at 4:15pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #302 of 9076/20/12 at 4:23pmQuote:
My experience using the HD25, DT1350 and Westone 4r single ended in and balanced out compared with simply single ended out is an improvement. With my ES5 I really can't tell if it really is an improvement between single ended and balanced out. The ES5 to me makes almost everything sound good; therefore, it is harder for me to evaluate any difference. I do not use my iBasso DB2 balanced input into the Mk3 because my DX100 single ended output from its dac is better in my opinion than the balanced output of the DB2, not that the DB2 isn't good.post #303 of 9076/20/12 at 4:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by slwiser
My experience using the HD25, DT1350 and Westone 4r single ended in and balanced out compared with simply single ended out is an improvement. With my ES5 I really can't tell if it really is an improvement between single ended and balanced out. The ES5 to me makes almost everything sound good; therefore, it is harder for me to evaluate any difference. I do not use my iBasso DB2 balanced input into the Mk3 because my DX100 single ended output from its dac is better in my opinion than the balanced output of the DB2, not that the DB2 isn't good.
Ok good, in that case I will order a balance just for the LCD-3 and use single ended in. I am going for Q -audio again and was wondering which termination should I select.
I am also curious about the es5 when you said it makes almost everything sound good. I just order the sony ex1000 2 days ago and now thinking of getting es5 as well. Did you use the free self impression kit that comes with it?
Thanks slwiserpost #304 of 9076/20/12 at 4:41pmQuote:
How is it valid to compare a balanced portable amp to a high end portable source, albeit one with an internal amp ?
RS71B - sure
DX100 - lets compare apples with apples .....post #305 of 9076/20/12 at 4:41pm
Remember, earphones/headphones that use multiple crossovers will have their optimal frequency responses affected by use in balanced mode. Some, in fact, sound worse because they were tweaked for very specific frequency responses. Some, may sound as good or better. It's a crap shoot.
With phones like LCD, however, I would expect in every instance for the balanced mode to sound better as there is simply more signal quality for each channel: better stereo separation, less distortion. Audible improvement for sure.post #306 of 9076/20/12 at 4:47pmQuote:
Ken, pardon my naivety, but isn't it fair to say that you designed the Mk3 to drive demanding fullsize cans rather than ultra-sensitive IEMs ? To my way of thinking, we already have an abundance of portable headphone amps for the IEM crowd.post #307 of 9076/20/12 at 4:48pmQuote:
I think it's fair to compare their overall sound quality, considering the money they cost -- particularly with single ended output from the DX100 with single ended from the Rx3 (from a similar source, if possible).
And even with the Portaphile 627, I'd like to see how its single ended output compares overall to both balanced and single ended from the Rx3. For me, and maybe for others, either one of these will be the next major upgrade path.
Edited by sunninho - 6/20/12 at 4:50pmpost #308 of 9076/20/12 at 4:49pmQuote:
I got my ES5 via a local audiologist who made the order for me.post #309 of 9076/20/12 at 4:58pmQuote:
The comparison I was making was the single ended source part of the DX100 (line out) to the balanced out of the iBasso DB2 which are both source signals into the Mk3.
Now my question to anyone able to answer this is anyone in agreement with my take on the quality of the DX100 line out compared with say the balanced output of the DB2 into the Mk3. I am open to having this opinion challenged since I am not so sure that I am able to shave such distinctions clearly. I am comfortable with using it in the manner that I do though. It certainly is easier to handle than adding a third box to the mix with the iBasso DB2; i.e., only the DX100 + Mk3-b. If I had to bypass the DX100 dac it would be better for me to use my iTouch since it would be much smaller than the DX100 being used only as a transport.
Edited by slwiser - 6/20/12 at 5:01pmpost #310 of 9076/20/12 at 5:02pmQuote:
Actually i would agree with this assessment even though I use my Mk3 primarily with my ES5 now.post #311 of 9076/20/12 at 5:19pm
It seems to work just as well for multi-crossover, lowΩ balanced armature IEMs, which for most amps, are actually harder to drive resolution to. If you are talking about volume to ear-destroying levels with headphones, that is one thing - a thing that for some reason isn't discussed enough here. I've heard some people here say with pride that they listen to volumes of 115dB with headphones/earphones.
Most amps can pump that, and voltage isn't something hard to pump out, either. Giving balance, control, and full resolution to specific Ω levels, is harder. The Rx gives all of that to the lowest of Ω earphones and to the highest Ω of headphones, all within bleeding levels of volume (over 100dB). No phase errors, very good balance (to within 0,01 dB) in low gain, and off by up to 0,03 dB in high gain which is far better than most of the competition (read in the price category). ALO aren't selling an advertising claim, they seem to be selling still the optimal amp for all headphones. IEMs are the hardest to drive full resolution into. Then you have headphones like K701 which are at a low enough Ω level with low/high enough impedance swings (like balanced armature IEMs) and they, too, are tackled perfectly by the Rx III.
Maybe it's the be-all-end-all amp. I'm not sure. It's certainly impressive.post #312 of 9076/20/12 at 9:28pmpost #313 of 9076/21/12 at 4:26am
As I posted on another thread, I got a chance to try firstly the RX II with CLAS running my Miracle Custom IEM, and thought wow..... as this was my first session with this combo, even though it was SE - a match that sonicaly was a Awesome. Then it was bought to my attention that they had a RXIII in the Store......Again SE do not own a balanced cable. I thought I had found an Awesome match well let me tell you even at SE it was really something else another level again. I have not tried Ray's amps or the other amp that I would like to hear would be Jans Stepdance....But Honestly How good is this MKIII ? Ken youre on a winner mate. Congratulations, aghhh I can only Imagine what this thing is capable of in balanced mode???? kinda wets the appetite...post #314 of 9076/21/12 at 4:42am
I'm meeting another RXIII owner this weekend and will compare our devices. Mine's black. So is my MKI. I think the new finish is nicer, surely doesn't attract as many finger prints. Maguire, how is balance on your unit? Mine is within 1 decibel on lowest volume settings, and within 1/10% at near 100% in low, and mid, and on high, within 1dB at 70-80% volumes.post #315 of 9076/21/12 at 5:02am
- ALO Audio RXMKIII Balanced Portable Amplifier Impressions
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › The Stax Thread III 38 seconds ago
- › ALO Pan Am desktop/portable headphone amp/DAC: Impressions and Reviews 1 minute ago
- › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions 3 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 3 minutes ago
- › Yamaha EPH-100 3 minutes ago
- › Why do many headphones have a treble peak? 3 minutes ago
- › Grado PS1000 with new transducers and jack 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 4 minutes ago
- › Tiny DAC, Big Sound, Evolved – Stoner Acoustics UD100 / UD110 / UD120 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Monster Turbine Pro Copper In-Ear Headphones by TurbinePro
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by SMLeaves
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by wolfjeanne
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)