Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Need help with tube amps? (Sort of given up on tubes, still looking for guidance)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help with tube amps? (Sort of given up on tubes, still looking for guidance)

post #1 of 40
Thread Starter 

I am looking for a nice looking tube amp, that will run my K240's well, and can be used as a pre-amp. 

I don't really want to be spending more than $150, although I can go higher, $200 at most. 

If it has a DAC in it, that is a plus. 

 

I was looking at the little dot mkii, although it's power output isn't that high at 55 ohms. 

 

If there are some good solid state amps at the price point, that perform well, I would not limit myself to tubes. 

 

There is a Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 for sale, on the Australian ebay, that will probably go for $150 - $175. 

It doesn't have the amazing tube looks though. Would it be worth it at that price? 

 

I was also thinking of the Xiangsheng tube hybrid H-80BIII, although I can't seem to find anywhere to buy them. 

 

I am willing to DIY. 


Edited by PixelVandalism - 5/6/12 at 6:55pm
post #2 of 40
Thread Starter 

I didn't want to bump this, but I am really looking for an answer. 

post #3 of 40

Tubes are great for voltage, which is great for high Ohm headphones, like 150-Ohm to 600-Ohm.

I believe AKGs are more into current, which is solid state.

I do not think you have to spend a lot to get good sound out of the AKG K240.

 

The DAC Destroyer (USB/DAC) can go for as cheap as $50, off eBay,

They sell low cost ($50-$120) single tube headphone amplifier on eBay, ships from China.

A hybrid (tube & solid state) would be better then a pure tube.

post #4 of 40
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

Tubes are great for voltage, which is great for high Ohm headphones, like 150-Ohm to 600-Ohm.

I believe AKGs are more into current, which is solid state.

I do not think you have to spend a lot to get good sound out of the AKG K240.

 

The DAC Destroyer (USB/DAC) can go for as cheap as $50, off eBay,

They sell low cost ($50-$120) single tube headphone amplifier on eBay, ships from China.

A hybrid (tube & solid state) would be better then a pure tube.

 

It's not just for the AKG's I am looking for a pre-amp as well. 

 

Would you mind giving me some suggestions, and links to some amps? 

 

Also, would the Little Dot MK2 provide enough power, if I used a resistor? 

post #5 of 40

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelVandalism View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post
Tubes are great for voltage, which is great for high Ohm headphones, like 150-Ohm to 600-Ohm.

I believe AKGs are more into current, which is solid state.

I do not think you have to spend a lot to get good sound out of the AKG K240.

The DAC Destroyer (USB/DAC) can go for as cheap as $50, off eBay,

They sell low cost ($50-$120) single tube headphone amplifier on eBay, ships from China.

A hybrid (tube & solid state) would be better then a pure tube.

It's not just for the AKG's I am looking for a pre-amp as well. 

Would you mind giving me some suggestions, and links to some amps? 

Also, would the Little Dot MK2 provide enough power, if I used a resistor? 

Some of the single tube headphone amplifiers sold on eBay are also pre-amps.

Do a search on eBay for "Indeed G3" and they do refer to them as hybrids.

The website Rockgrotto, in their headphone amplifier subsection, has some knowledgeable people on these amps.

I know very little about the Little Dot brand.

 

 

post #6 of 40

I'm after a cheap(ish) tube headphone amp too. I have a Graham Slee Solo MkII but I can't help wondering how a tube amp would sound as an option. I don't want to spend too much, after all I might hate it!, but my curiosity has got the better of me.

 

I have been looking at the various Chinese brands (and I am visiting Hong Kong next month so could pick something up there) but I am not sure on what will give me the best introduction to tube amplification. The Earmax looks good but is out of my price range as a first amp.

 

All suggestions welcome.

post #7 of 40
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevC View Post

I'm after a cheap(ish) tube headphone amp too. I have a Graham Slee Solo MkII but I can't help wondering how a tube amp would sound as an option. I don't want to spend too much, after all I might hate it!, but my curiosity has got the better of me.

 

I have been looking at the various Chinese brands (and I am visiting Hong Kong next month so could pick something up there) but I am not sure on what will give me the best introduction to tube amplification. The Earmax looks good but is out of my price range as a first amp.

 

All suggestions welcome.

 

I'm really hoping someone is going to post something about some super duper DIY amp that cost $199 delivered. :D 

I can only hope. 

It's a shame that the bottlehead crack is $279. 

post #8 of 40

La Figaro 336SE then

 

post #9 of 40
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecaster View Post

La Figaro 336SE then

 

 

Is there anywhere that I would be able to get one of these for less than $200? 

It looks amazing. 

post #10 of 40

You guys want good Tube amps under $200? A good tube can cost more then that ;)
 

post #11 of 40
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post

You guys want good Tube amps under $200? A good tube can cost more then that ;)
 

 

.... I don't have more than $200. 

post #12 of 40

I understand but it's a bit surreal. The cheapest I can think of for the HD650 is the Bottlehead crack for 279 or so, but that's a kit.
 

post #13 of 40
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post

I understand but it's a bit surreal. The cheapest I can think of for the HD650 is the Bottlehead crack for 279 or so, but that's a kit.
 

 

I need it to drive AKG K240's.

Nothing wrong with a kit. 

post #14 of 40

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelVandalism View Post

 

 

I need it to drive AKG K240's.

Nothing wrong with a kit. 

 


Wow, I must have been dreaming. For the AKG's the Crack isn't a recommendations, it's only 55ohm or so, no?

post #15 of 40
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrainferno View Post

 

 


Wow, I must have been dreaming. For the AKG's the Crack isn't a recommendations, it's only 55ohm or so, no?

 

Yeah they're only 55ohm. 

I don't know where you got the HD650 idea from :s 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Need help with tube amps? (Sort of given up on tubes, still looking for guidance)