Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** - Page 827

post #12391 of 20394
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulmaster View Post

Ok I just stuck the foam rings back in because the sound became congested. I think it has to do with the spacing of the ears and yeah it may impact treble somewhat, I didn't notice much. But removing the foam and thus placing the ears closer to the drivers DEFINITELY impacted the overall sound negatively. 

 

I would recommend not doing the foam mod ALONE. 


I'd tend to agree with you, but it makes the bass bloom more (dunno if that is the correct term), and you have to get used to that. I had to... Personally, I think it is better w/o the foam rings, but I did like the drier and less intimate/congested bass with the foam rings better.. As I remember, but that was months ago... And with the HE-500 btw.

post #12392 of 20394

You need to do the damping mods and remove the rings... With just the rings removed it does not have the same effect, as you say it is possibly worse if you just remove the foam spacers and do not do any mods.

post #12393 of 20394

Good idea Thujone, thank you

post #12394 of 20394
Alright sorry guys for posting a lot.

Even when I eq (in iTunes -10db for 8k range) I still get that tizz in the treble that makes me wince with pain. Although it is significantly reduced.

My he400 has about 40 hrs on her. Should I wait out til the 150? Will that tizz go away some? My ears just ring a lot more (I have tinnitus) when I listen to these.

I was thinking about switching to the 500 or return and wait out til I can afford LCD2.

My ears I guess just cannot handle distortion in the treble.

See, I can't jergmod bc I may need to return the headphones if the tizz doesn't go away.

Thoughts?
post #12395 of 20394
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulmaster View Post

Alright sorry guys for posting a lot.

Even when I eq (in iTunes -10db for 8k range) I still get that tizz in the treble that makes me wince with pain. Although it is significantly reduced.

My he400 has about 40 hrs on her. Should I wait out til the 150? Will that tizz go away some? My ears just ring a lot more (I have tinnitus) when I listen to these.

I was thinking about switching to the 500 or return and wait out til I can afford LCD2.

My ears I guess just cannot handle distortion in the treble.

See, I can't jergmod bc I may need to return the headphones if the tizz doesn't go away.

Thoughts?

 

Jergmod + EQ makes it a lot better. Although I am sure that the LCD2 will be better.

post #12396 of 20394
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogulmaster View Post

Alright sorry guys for posting a lot.

Even when I eq (in iTunes -10db for 8k range) I still get that tizz in the treble that makes me wince with pain. Although it is significantly reduced.

My he400 has about 40 hrs on her. Should I wait out til the 150? Will that tizz go away some? My ears just ring a lot more (I have tinnitus) when I listen to these.

I was thinking about switching to the 500 or return and wait out til I can afford LCD2.

My ears I guess just cannot handle distortion in the treble.

See, I can't jergmod bc I may need to return the headphones if the tizz doesn't go away.

Thoughts?

If your eqing the treble spikes down 10db and the tizz still bothers you, maybe try speakers lol. I don't really notice the treble spikes after dropping 4db.
post #12397 of 20394

Don't EQ the 8db region in iTunes down so much, you only get a limited number of bars, and EQ'ing 10db down at 8khz will most likely affect all your midrange up to 8khz.  Try EQ'ing 16khz down 8db and 8khz down by maybe 4-6db.

 

That's still too drastic for my taste but it should be better.

post #12398 of 20394

Sorry about your wallet beerchug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by akong View Post

You guys have convinced me - I just ordered my pair :D 

post #12399 of 20394

What type of EQ are people using with the HE-400?

I've seen a few posts in here, most seem to tone the treble down somewhat, I'm included in that group:
 


I obviously have a preference towards a warmer sound cool.gif

post #12400 of 20394


Here's mine :D
Seems to work perfectly, but I'm open to suggestions.

post #12401 of 20394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani ATH 87 View Post

What type of EQ are people using with the HE-400?

I've seen a few posts in here, most seem to tone the treble down somewhat, I'm included in that group:
 


I obviously have a preference towards a warmer sound cool.gif

 

 

I have the same thing with same equalizer going on as you do, minus the 1khz dip I think the mids in HE-400 are golden and are best left untouched.

Created with GIMP

 

I even use the same EQ setting with Q701 as I find those too bright as well.


Edited by Bogatyr - 8/24/13 at 8:22pm
post #12402 of 20394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thujone View Post

Or the HD580 biggrin.gif

 

 

Yes, but for only a few bucks more, one could opt for the newer HD-600 with the better grills and better drivers.  IMO, people tend to overprice the HD-580.  I've owned the model twice, but just can't put my finger on it as to what I didn't like.  There is one HD-580 that I would consider though if the price was good - that would be the HD-580 "Jubilee" edition.  Though, they are about as rare to find as the Sennheiser Orpheus.

post #12403 of 20394
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

Yes, but for only a few bucks more, one could opt for the newer HD-600 with the better grills and better drivers.  IMO, people tend to overprice the HD-580.  I've owned the model twice, but just can't put my finger on it as to what I didn't like.  There is one HD-580 that I would consider though if the price was good - that would be the HD-580 "Jubilee" edition.  Though, they are about as rare to find as the Sennheiser Orpheus.

I got the 580's over the 600's since my buddy owns the 600's and the 580's prove to be a much better painting project wink.gif. They are overpriced though. I managed to get my used pair for $170, but I had to replace the pads which put them at about $240. Oh well, I like the look better than the 600's, very goofy.

post #12404 of 20394

Head-fi'ers that helped me with the tizz issue: I've been using the EQ -6db at 8k, and the pain has subsided completely. Thank you very much. 

 

I'd also like to announce my dear love for the he400. The sound is remarkable. Do you think it would be worth the extra 300 for the 500 since I love this hifiman sound so much? I'm still in the return period for a local store here. I have e09k which seems to have a lot of power. 

post #12405 of 20394

I listen to Electronic/Rock(classic mostly) /folk in that order

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**