Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR MA 900 (new release from Sony)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR MA 900 (new release from Sony) - Page 41

post #601 of 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D View Post

Can't comment on MA900. But sounds to me like you want Yulong D18 + Yulong A18+ LA7000/TH900. Thats about as forgiving and musical whilst remaining clean that I have ever read about on here, haven't heard them though. My D7000 is definitely not analytical, and from what I read, neither is the D18 or the A18. 

 

One expensive setup, one brave man @@

post #602 of 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrAdrian View Post

 

One expensive setup, one brave man @@

He wanted something to hold up to his HD800 :P I just stated it for giggles, I don't expect him to buy it, although I will bet my left nut it will do exactly what he wants. 

 

My dream setup is Yulong A18 + AudioGD Master 8 + TH900. 

post #603 of 767

Hifi News this month reviewed the ma900 and they loved it, they said the only other headphone they had tested that could match or surpass it is the HD800!

post #604 of 767

So where's the review? What other 'phones were being compared? 

 

MA900 is defintley far below the level of HD800 in just about every technical apect i can think of and is a level below the SA5000 on most levels but it's a pretty good mid-fi offering at the 200$-300$ price range for it's sound only,  and if you factor the unparalleled comfort level in current models, i think it's an outstanding value for an all-around option.

post #605 of 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroid View Post

Hifi News this month reviewed the ma900 and they loved it, they said the only other headphone they had tested that could match or surpass it is the HD800!

 

ROFLMFAO!

 

 

Wait...

 

Maybe they're right. One other poster also noted a similarity, I think. But I'm wondering about the treble. Does Sony send individual FR graphs to customers?

post #606 of 767

Hmm, wish it was still $200 on Amazon.

post #607 of 767

The only reason I want one is for office use.

 

  • ultra comfortable
  • light weight
  • lightish bass
  • no distracting issues (boomy bass, midbass in general, sibilance)
  • easy to drive.

 

thats where i think their strength lies

post #608 of 767

^ Well put, I agree with your assesment of their main forte, which is you first two points and although IMO the sound quality is overall just below that of the ergonomics it's still very nice as part of the overall package, and very comparable to say an ATH-AD900. If i may recall from memory, Both have a similiar detail level  but the AT may be a little quicker with a touch more sparkle and air, midrange is again similiar in that it's a slightly forward and smooth on both yet retaining a nicely transparent quality with acoustic instruments such as piano and strings. MA900 defintley has a more full and robust bass but still rolls off too early in the last two or three octaves unfortunately. Soundstage is litlle more open on the AT mainly due to the more present treble but the Sony is very convincing in it's out-of-head imaging, Though not as good as other Sonys i won in this regard, notably the F1. But all things considered i condsider the MA900 as a very competent headphone if comfort level is your top priorty but without much compromise on sound quality. I'm quite sure i'll keep them in the forseable future, at least until the MA1000 shows up... biggrin.gif

post #609 of 767

Guess these just kinda died out. Well, my pair came in today. Quick impressions.

 

Besides the laughable build quality, the sound quality is pretty impressive IMO.

 

In fact, this is the first headphone in the past year that has handily beat my trusty PX100-II.

post #610 of 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post

Guess these just kinda died out. Well, my pair came in today. Quick impressions.

 

Besides the laughable build quality, the sound quality is pretty impressive IMO.

 

In fact, this is the first headphone in the past year that has handily beat my trusty PX100-II.

 

eek.gif  WHAT YOU SAY?!?

post #611 of 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

eek.gif  WHAT YOU SAY?!?

 

Haha, you'd be one to know the significance of that too! biggrin.gif

 

I couldn't believe it myself. But alas, the PX100-II has indeed finally failed me.

post #612 of 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katun View Post

Haha, you'd be one to know the significance of that too! biggrin.gif

 

I couldn't believe it myself. But alas, the PX100-II has indeed finally failed me.

 

"Fail" is a very strong word...

 

What's the single biggest difference in the MA 900's favor vs the PX 100-II?

post #613 of 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenpchi View Post

 

"Fail" is a very strong word...

 

What's the single biggest difference in the MA 900's favor vs the PX 100-II?

 

True, but in the case regarding the PX100-II, it's more of a compliment. wink.gif

 

Well first, I'd like to comment on the soundstage differences. I never thought the PX100-II was bad, and in fact, it's really quite good especially for it's size. But up against the MA900, it's like bringing a knife to a gunfight. I usually don't have that high of praise regarding soundstage, as some of the known headphones that have a very large soundstage (AD700 and Q701) don't impress me too much in that regard. With the MA900, it's different. Compared them to my AD700 and they just seem so much more spacious and enveloping. It's unique, and I really enjoy it. Comparing that presentation to my PX100-II makes it seem like an IEM in regards to presentation. Direct injection, as opposed to more of a soundscape. That's one mark against it.

 

But for some reason, going from the MA900 back to the PX100-II is really fatiguing. Sounds like there is some odd spike in the PX100-II's treble, and it suddenly starts to stand out like a sore thumb. Perhaps because the MA900's treble is more relaxed, but whatever the reason, the PX100-II is suddenly more of a chore to listen to. Never thought I'd say that after all the headphones I've compared it to. And it's weird because I'm not getting any odd vibes off the MA900 either. Doesn't seem like anything is too recessed or too out of place. Sorta reminds me of the HD598 or HD600, but perhaps an even more rounded treble. Very inoffensive, and extremely easy to listen to, yet enjoyable. It's got me satisfied in the midrange (for now) and that alone says something.

 

EDIT: The MA900 has a stranger tonality than the PX100-II, so it sounds a little "off" at times, even though the frequency sounds relatively balanced within itself. Perhaps it's the soundstage, or the angled 70mm drivers? Not quite sure.

X2 EDIT: Nevermind. The weird tonality, for the most part, can be corrected by wearing them further back on your head, as opposed to more forward (more comfortable). Still very comfortable even when worn further back.


Edited by Katun - 9/6/12 at 10:26pm
post #614 of 767

I find your lack of faith [in the PX 100-II] disturbing...

 

I all honesty, I am absolutely thrilled to hear this!  For a while now, I've been worried that the PX 100-II was an irreparable record skip on the path to Headphonobtanium.  Not that this is a knock against the PX 100-II (it's definitely not).

 

Of course, you know what the problem is now right?  ::Katun scratches head and wonders to himself... "hmm, I wonder if there are a pair of portables that sound as good as the MA 900..."::  And so the search continues!

post #615 of 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroid View Post

Hifi News this month reviewed the ma900 and they loved it, they said the only other headphone they had tested that could match or surpass it is the HD800!

 

Lol at this. I guess they've only heard the HD800 and lower models. 

 

In other news, I didn't know there was a thread on these. I love these cans. They're like the SA5000/K701 mixed with the HD650. They're very colored and musical and open. Comfort is amazing. I haven't had cans this light since I had a pair of Sennheiser HD590s. Great little can to leave on my desk! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR MA 900 (new release from Sony)