Thanks to Joe from Meelec for the review pair. This is the first pair of BlueTooth Headphones I have used or reviewed, although I have heard the K430’s, HT-21, KSC-75, and Yuin G2A. They can be purchased through their website for $79.99 as well as Amazon and Newegg
Right now through 3/25 Newegg has them for $10 off with coupon code MEE319
Specs and Features
- A2DP stereo Bluetooth for music playback and use as a headset with the built-in mic
- Conveniently located phone and music controls
- Ultra-soft ear pads and adjustable headband for extended wearing comfort
- Folds for convenient storage and comes with a travel bag
- Rich and dynamic sound with enhanced deep bass and great clarity from the acoustically advanced, high efficiency 40mm driver
- Convenient all-in-one design for simplicity and functionality
- 3.5mm audio jack for wired use
- Digital volume control
- Talk handsfree on your phone
- Voice dialing (if supported by your phone)
- Compatible with: iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, Android phones, Android tablets, Windows phones, Macs, Bluetooth dongles, and other Bluetooth enabled devices
- 1 year manufacturer warranty*
- Bluetooth Version: Bluetooth Specification V2.1 + EDR
- Profile: Hands-free Profile (HFP) 1.5, Headset Profile (HSP) 1.1, Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) 1.2, and Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) 1.0
- Operating Range: 10 M
- Standby time:at least 100 hours
- Talk time: 10+ hours
- Music playing time: 12+ hours
- Charging time: 4 hours
- Charging cable: 3.5mm to USB
- Driver: 40 mm high performance drivers with neodymium magnets
- Frequency Response: 18Hz – 20KHz
- Sensitivity: 106 dB (1mW @ 1KHz)
- Impedance: 32 ohms
- Length of cable for wired use: 48 inches
- Weight: 115g
- Warranty: 1 year
- Ship Weight: 0.5 lb
Packaging, Build, and Fit
The build quality is solid, the buttons on the side, are raised and rock back and forth, easy to use once they are memorized. The battery life of the headphones was shockingly good. We were able to listen to music for the 12 hours that they are rated for between charges. When they died on me during my trip to DC and I didn’t have the 3.5mm charging cable I simply plugged them in via the 3.5mm included cable. There are markings on the inside of the headband to indicate left and right. This is my only gripe is that they weren’t easily found, could just be me. If you remember that the controls sit on your right ear it shouldn’t be an issue. Screws hold the whole thing together and after 200 hours of use the screws were still as tight as when I first received the phones. The earpads and headband pad is a faux leather material and is holding up very well. No wear can be seen on the pads. The foam of the ear pads is very cushy at first and settles into a flatter shape after some break in. They extend well to fit my melon head and my wife with a much smaller head than mine found the fit comfortable for extended listening. The clamping force is adequate and hasn’t been too tight.. They stay put while doing chores around the house and I didn’t worry about them falling off of my head when stooping down to pick up the mop bucket.
- Charging cable
- Audio cable with 3.5mm jack
- Carrying pouch
- User manual
I ran them plugged in via the 3.5 mm cord and burned them in for 50 hours no discernible changes were noted.
I listened mainly to pandora from my BlackBerry 8520 device. Some of my listening was done through my fuze as well as a sansa clip+. When the phones are plugged directly into a source via 3.5mm cable they are in passive mode and don’t use the battery as they don’t need to be on.
My listening habits this time around varied greatly, including classical, easy listening, american dubstep, drum and bass, and rock.
The quality is on par with any on ear or over ear that I have at my disposal, including the K430 and Sony MDR-7505, I think they are far better than the highly regarded HT-21 that is also made by Meelec. I really look forward to see more reviews on these as they are a great sounding set of Bluetooth headphones.
The highs are excellent and please me, I am a treble head. No sibilance was detected, the details are well separated and defined.
Mids - vocals are upfront and not as V shaped as I first thought them to be. Pleasant, accurate with a bit of added warmth.
Bass is controlled, tight and doesn’t bleed into the mids at all. It’s fast enough to keep up on most of rock and hard rock, by no means even close to a bass heavy headphone.
The soundstage is average as they are a closed phone, instrument placement is spot on and they stay very clean on most busier tracks.
The calling functionality for making, and receiving calls works well. The sound quality on both ends is impressive. The mic quality is on par with my Jawbone 1st gen headset that I use regularly. My wife used them with her android phone, listening to Pandora and 8tracks, she made and received calls and said that the built in controls worked flawlessly for her.
The isolation is surprisingly very good. I have never used a pair of on-ear phones that lay flat against my ears don’t use a cup like the HT-21 AKG K430. At moderate volume levels while doing house work things must be thrown at me to gain my attention.
A great quality bluetooth headphone from a company that knows how to make amazing products. The controls work great, the call quality is outstanding, they isolate well, are comfortable and light enough to be worn for long periods of time. Overall the sound is balanced, a welcome surprise in a bass heavy headphone world. I would love to get my hands on a different manufacturer's bluetooth set of earphones so that I could do a side by side comparison of the two. Wired they are a little bit harder to drive, however still sound good coming from my clip+ and adding an E6, E5, or E3 amp brings them right to how they sound via the active BT functionality. For the price these are a great set of BT headphones that stand up well to daily wear and tear.
*Please note that due to the complexity of Bluetooth products all defective units must be returned to MEElectronics for warranty service.
Edited by dziendobry - 4/17/12 at 6:43am