Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream - Page 18

post #256 of 594

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Personally I think the SR-007mk1 with the LL is fantastic, though synergistically the SR-009 and SR-Omega sound more correct because they're balanced out more by the LL's relatively "lush" sound (though I hesitate using that descriptor here; "stately" was a good one a friend of mine used). I can understand some finding the SR-007 too polite with the LL, but I encourage people to give it a try.

 

Incidentally, from the limited time I spent with the BHSE, I did personally prefer the SR-007 with it over the SR-009.

 

I laughed at "stately".  It made me think of the LL with a mustache, top hat, monocle, walking stick and smoking pipe. 

post #257 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post

Try both on a good stat amp without any preconceived notions.  The 007 is still my favorite headphone of all time, closely followed by the HE60 and HE6.  I think the 009 and HD800 are technically impressive headphones, but not really to my tastes.

 

The HE60 is indeed one of the unsung hero's and unfairly overlooked due to the HE90's pricetag.  One of the most comfortable headphones ever made as well due to the almost 100% plastic construction and none of the HE90 build issues. 

 

I've been really enjoying the HD800 lately but I've never encountered a transducer that's as sensitive to the amp pushing it.  Granted the ring radiator does some very funky things and the phase angles are odd to say the least but even something like the 007 retains it's character on pretty much everything you use it with, just getting better with better amps.  The HD800 can go from a horrid bright mush to almost as good as the HE60 just by changing the amp. 

post #258 of 594

I spent last night AB'ing the HD800/BA with the 007MK1/KGSSHV.  Stax sounded more natural with everything I threw at it.  The HD800 did tremendously with classical music though.

post #259 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post

 

The HE60 is indeed one of the unsung hero's and unfairly overlooked due to the HE90's pricetag.  One of the most comfortable headphones ever made as well due to the almost 100% plastic construction and none of the HE90 build issues. 

 

I've been really enjoying the HD800 lately but I've never encountered a transducer that's as sensitive to the amp pushing it.  Granted the ring radiator does some very funky things and the phase angles are odd to say the least but even something like the 007 retains it's character on pretty much everything you use it with, just getting better with better amps.  The HD800 can go from a horrid bright mush to almost as good as the HE60 just by changing the amp. 

What amp would this be ?

post #260 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post

Try both on a good stat amp without any preconceived notions.  The 007 is still my favorite headphone of all time, closely followed by the HE60 and HE6.  I think the 009 and HD800 are technically impressive headphones, but not really to my tastes.

 

One of these days... It looks like my first "electro-experience" will be with some Lambda Pros soonpopcorn.gif

 

I feel similar about the HD800, it sounds perfect and nothing about it bothers me (I can listen to it for hours), but it doesn't engage me like my planers do.

post #261 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritzer View Post

 

I've been really enjoying the HD800 lately but I've never encountered a transducer that's as sensitive to the amp pushing it.  Granted the ring radiator does some very funky things and the phase angles are odd to say the least but even something like the 007 retains it's character on pretty much everything you use it with, just getting better with better amps.  The HD800 can go from a horrid bright mush to almost as good as the HE60 just by changing the amp. 

 

I second that. My HD800 sounds way different on every amp I have.

 

So far, the better results I'm having are with the Phonitor.

post #262 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie View Post

What amp would this be ?

 

Souped up Dynalo built with the regular Mafia levels of insanity. 

post #263 of 594

As an update, my BHSE and 009 loaners will arrive around the middle of next week. I am hoping that Alex will be able to get a LL out to me by that time, so that I can compare all of them together. To avoid any hints of even subconscious favoritism, I am personally paying round trip shipping on all this gear. Am I crazy shelling out several hundred dollars of my own money for a grueling few days of intensive listening and comparison? Well, I'm primarily doing myself a favor as I need to figure these out in my own home, on my own time, and not subject to meet conditions, so I guess I can argue that by doing this I will actually avoid going crazy biggrin.gif

 

In the end, I will purchase the 009 (again) and either the BHSE or the LL, whichever will provide the best listening experience. Though I've been a fond owner of Cavalli amps in the past, it means nothing with regard to what the outcome will be.

post #264 of 594

Really looking forward to your impressions. I would love to compare a BHSE to my LL in my own home. Just to settle the discussion for me.

 

Also, I wouldn't hold your breath for an LL unless Alex has more than 1 that he's taking to RMAF. He's leaving fairly soon with all his gear IIRC.

 

Have you talked to him about it yet? Gonna be weird if you go off and rebuy the exact rig you just sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson View Post

As an update, my BHSE and 009 loaners will arrive around the middle of next week. I am hoping that Alex will be able to get a LL out to me by that time, so that I can compare all of them together. To avoid any hints of even subconscious favoritism, I am personally paying round trip shipping on all this gear. Am I crazy shelling out several hundred dollars of my own money for a grueling few days of intensive listening and comparison? Well, I'm primarily doing myself a favor as I need to figure these out in my own home, on my own time, and not subject to meet conditions, so I guess I can argue that by doing this I will actually avoid going crazy biggrin.gif

 

In the end, I will purchase the 009 (again) and either the BHSE or the LL, whichever will provide the best listening experience. Though I've been a fond owner of Cavalli amps in the past, it means nothing with regard to what the outcome will be.

post #265 of 594

According to Alex, there's another unit, at the moment on loan with another head-fi'er, which might be shipped to me later in the week.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidToaster View Post

Also, I wouldn't hold your breath for an LL unless Alex has more than 1 that he's taking to RMAF. He's leaving fairly soon with all his gear IIRC.

 

post #266 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilson View Post

According to Alex, there's another unit, at the moment on loan with another head-fi'er, which might be shipped to me later in the week.

Good to hear then. Looking forward to the write up.
post #267 of 594
Awesome mwilson!
post #268 of 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace View Post

Personally I think the SR-007mk1 with the LL is fantastic, though synergistically the SR-009 and SR-Omega sound more correct because they're balanced out more by the LL's relatively "lush" sound (though I hesitate using that descriptor here; "stately" was a good one a friend of mine used). I can understand some finding the SR-007 too polite with the LL, but I encourage people to give it a try.

 

Incidentally, from the limited time I spent with the BHSE, I did personally prefer the SR-007 with it over the SR-009.

 

I agree - I've posted very similar impressions of these combos.

post #269 of 594

Does anyone have impressions from such tests on whether the LL or the BHSE is better with the 009s?  I guess a comparison that also interests mwilson.

post #270 of 594

The general impressions seems to be 007 + BHSE and 009 + LL are the ideal pairings, but I'm waiting to draw conclusions for myself. 

 

mwilson actually owned the 009 + LL before and sold it because his 009s were...invaded.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfi View Post

Does anyone have impressions from such tests on whether the LL or the BHSE is better with the 009s?  I guess a comparison that also interests mwilson.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream