Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Looking for a shiny new DAP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a shiny new DAP

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 

I love my music and want to carry it around with me, but unfortunately, the only belonging I have that's somewhat portable and can store music is my laptop, but I'm not carrying it everywhere around with me so I'm looking for a great dap. I really don't have any preferences right now but the following would be really nice to have.

 

  • Screen (watching things will be impractical so a laptop will be more sufficient)
  • Long battery life or compatible with external battery pack
  • Line-out jack or dock
  • Expandable storage
  • Good internal storage (if no expandable storage available)
  • Does not need extra software to access files (ex. iTunes)

 

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Additional information...

 

Location United States of America.

Maximum cost Undetermined. $250?

Audio Format support Lossless (preferably .flac or .wav. Will accept .alac if Apple) and .mp3.

Video Format support don't know.

Condition refurbished or new, preferably new.

Manufacturer preferences I don't really have any but I do have a grudge against Apple but ignore that because it can block out a couple of great daps with a line-out.

 

Again, that's all I can think of right now. I will probably pair these the a pair of Ultimate Ears UE350s. I like something a little fun to use but my main focus is audio quality. I may not use an amplifier or dac immediately so I might use integrated for a bit but that's probably unlikely. This is head-fi right? tongue.gif I will update this post along the way with new information.


Edited by HybridCore - 2/24/12 at 4:16am
post #2 of 35

The only thing that fits are iPod's. minus the LOD option (i think some sandisks have an LOD, but..really an ipod's dac is better) are things like what everyone recommends. Cowons. many say the amp in it is high quality enough to be able to dual amp with..i don't really care. i want no dual amping from a $200 PMP so i stick with my ipod's. plus ipod's have more apps so you can multitask, and video. not to metnion retina displays..well ipod's retina displays are a bit less qulaity than iphones but still retina...only problem is $199 for 16GB. you cuold get an ipod classic though. that's a favorite on head fi.

 

anybody want to add a device that has LOD option and expandable storage? has a DAC up to par and or exceeds the Cirrus Logic in Apple's? im just wondering? the only thing apple doesn't have is space..that is supposed to change soon though as 16GB has been there as a standard for too long and NAND FLASH is getting cheaper and apple just bought out a whole company.

post #3 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

The only thing that fits are iPod's. minus the LOD option (i think some sandisks have an LOD, but..really an ipod's dac is better) are things like what everyone recommends. Cowons. many say the amp in it is high quality enough to be able to dual amp with..i don't really care. i want no dual amping from a $200 PMP so i stick with my ipod's. plus ipod's have more apps so you can multitask, and video. not to metnion retina displays..well ipod's retina displays are a bit less qulaity than iphones but still retina...only problem is $199 for 16GB. you cuold get an ipod classic though. that's a favorite on head fi.

 

anybody want to add a device that has LOD option and expandable storage? has a DAC up to par and or exceeds the Cirrus Logic in Apple's? im just wondering? the only thing apple doesn't have is space..that is supposed to change soon though as 16GB has been there as a standard for too long and NAND FLASH is getting cheaper and apple just bought out a whole company.



I'm probably going to go with an external solution but if the dac's good enough then I'll just add an external amp.

 

Edit: The Samsung Galaxy Player (4.0 and 5.0) caught my eye. It has support for MP3, WAV, and FLAC, has expandable storage, and has a good amount of video formats (it has .mkv which is what I use since all of my anime is in that format). I don't know if it has a line-out and a bit concerned about the battery life.

 

Edit: Interested in the C2 and/or Z2 if I don't need a line-out.


Edited by HybridCore - 2/20/12 at 5:20am
post #4 of 35

ww the Samsung caught my eye too.. but compared to ipod's ...it's still nothing. it's a bit pricey and really. a 32GB ipod costs the same as whatever that is ...heck even less expensive after you buy than and a 32GB SDHC card

 

despite what people say about Cowon's being high quality enough to able to dual amp or not even amp..i don't care. i still like to know im getting a direct analog signal from DAC sent stragith to my external amplifier.

 

Galaxy phone uses a low power stereo Wolfson DAC that is..obsolete to the ipod and iphones. this probably uses the same. i've heard of voodoo kernel..bu really. in terms of DAC abailties by itself with no DSP help. the Wolfson in teh galaxy lags behind. 

 

 

btw in case your wondering why nobody else replied. you have a really bad thread name..just pointing that out. i've noticed this on my notifications list for a while but didn't know ti was your thread. i clicked on a whim..and behold ohh i remember this thread haha :D

post #5 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

ww the Samsung caught my eye too.. but compared to ipod's ...it's still nothing. it's a bit pricey and really. a 32GB ipod costs the same as whatever that is ...heck even less expensive after you buy than and a 32GB SDHC card

 

despite what people say about Cowon's being high quality enough to able to dual amp or not even amp..i don't care. i still like to know im getting a direct analog signal from DAC sent stragith to my external amplifier.

 

Galaxy phone uses a low power stereo Wolfson DAC that is..obsolete to the ipod and iphones. this probably uses the same. i've heard of voodoo kernel..bu really. in terms of DAC abailties by itself with no DSP help. the Wolfson in teh galaxy lags behind. 

 

 

btw in case your wondering why nobody else replied. you have a really bad thread name..just pointing that out. i've noticed this on my notifications list for a while but didn't know ti was your thread. i clicked on a whim..and behold ohh i remember this thread haha :D


 

I thought so. Okay, I'll change it after lunch.

 

Edit: changed


Edited by HybridCore - 2/20/12 at 12:12pm
post #6 of 35
Thread Starter 

Sorry for the double post but I really want to find something to enjoy music on without my laptop. I stumbled across the S:flo2 in the following thread.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/461156/s-flo2-impressions-thread

 

It has a line-out, expandable storage, screen, .mp3 and .flac support (I'm pretty sure .wav is coming soon), and a lot of very nice features. It can also use a USB battery pack. :wheee:

post #7 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post

Sorry for the double post but I really want to find something to enjoy music on without my laptop. I stumbled across the S:flo2 in the following thread.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/461156/s-flo2-impressions-thread

 

It has a line-out, expandable storage, screen, .mp3 and .flac support (I'm pretty sure .wav is coming soon), and a lot of very nice features. It can also use a USB battery pack. :wheee:



wow looks great...two problems. 

http://nationiteplayers.com/wheretobuy.htm

 

it's very hard to buy, you will probably not get any support if anything happens.

 

and please. not all line out's are made equal. Apple has a near perfect line out.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596962/wanted-dap-player-with-easy-line-out-is-there-such-a-thing/15#post_8163065

 

he is from Japan, and top head fi'er. read his stuff. everyone it's time to make it clear....non conformism...does not treat teh DAP market well. 

post #8 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post



wow looks great...two problems. 

http://nationiteplayers.com/wheretobuy.htm

 

it's very hard to buy, you will probably not get any support if anything happens.

 

and please. not all line out's are made equal. Apple has a near perfect line out.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596962/wanted-dap-player-with-easy-line-out-is-there-such-a-thing/15#post_8163065

 

he is from Japan, and top head fi'er. read his stuff. everyone it's time to make it clear....non conformism...does not treat teh DAP market well. 



I looked at that right after I posted that. Now I'm worried.

 

Apple fanboi.

 

I was reading that, didn't sense much. I'll read it over again.

post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post



I looked at that right after I posted that. Now I'm worried.

 

Apple fanboi.

 

I was reading that, didn't sense much. I'll read it over again.


http://www.houseofdap.com/teclast-t51-hi-fi-quality-3-5-inch-mp4-player-8gb.html

 

read the second page of the sflo thread. it's a rebadged telecast t51. i know a bit about the t51..not too much but a bit..it's construction...let's just say.......terrible. sound quality is superb however. support is very little. you buy? it breaks? tough luck i actually want one now

 

post #10 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post


http://www.houseofdap.com/teclast-t51-hi-fi-quality-3-5-inch-mp4-player-8gb.html

 

read the second page of the sflo thread. it's a rebadged telecast t51. i know a bit about the t51..not too much but a bit..it's construction...let's just say.......terrible. sound quality is superb however. support is very little. you buy? it breaks? tough luck i actually want one now

 



Taken into consideration. Now I'm worried.

 

So only Apple so far?

post #11 of 35
post #12 of 35
Thread Starter 


Now I don't like it so much anymore. So it's Apple with the only good daps with a line-out.

post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post



Now I don't like it so much anymore. So it's Apple with the only good daps with a line-out.



well the T51 after reading had good sound but has a multitude of who know whats that accompanies it. the lackluster support and build quality is also a big con and the battery life

 

well there's also sony and hifiman. Sony is out of the picture as their american walkman's suck and the Z series are japan land locked..and don't have expandable storage and their LODs are less quality than Apples...making them..useless. Galaxy player is useless as it's just overpriced with no ability to line out. however i have heard good things about voodoo..$300 though...is very overpriced. then how about hifiman or the colofrly C4 's?

 

the hifiman 601 has line out capability and a good DAC

post #14 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post



well the T51 after reading had good sound but has a multitude of who know whats that accompanies it. the lackluster support and build quality is also a big con and the battery life

 

well there's also sony and hifiman. Sony is out of the picture as their american walkman's suck and the Z series are japan land locked..and don't have expandable storage and their LODs are less quality than Apples...making them..useless. Galaxy player is useless as it's just overpriced with no ability to line out. however i have heard good things about voodoo..$300 though...is very overpriced. then how about hifiman or the colofrly C4 's?

 

the hifiman 601 has line out capability and a good DAC



So kind of put, Apple only. How much is the Hifiman?

post #15 of 35

http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMAN-HiFiMan-HM-601-Portable-Player/dp/B004DHOHYQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

 

$259 plus removable card so $300 in total..or $288 if you follow their deal. add in a good 3.5mm cable for use as an LOD and it should be $300. it's not bad. but i don't have any info on the LOD capabilities of teh HM 601.. COMPARED to the iphone's or Apples FROM NON BIASED people like shigzeo

 

waht do you have against this?

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-classic-Black-Generation-NEWEST/dp/B001F7AHOG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329782071&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L9-L-Shaped-Cable-iPhone/dp/B004QVNNI0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329782099&sr=8-1

 

+ amp of your choice

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QVPGXK/ref=s9_simh_gw_p422_d0_g23_i7?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0KG2ZF03GKBPPMP9CAB6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

 

 

considering it has industry level build quality and support. 120GB's.... Known to be good Cirrus Logic DAC. and support for AAC,MP3,ALAC,AIFF,WAV for $220?

 

i really do want to try the HM601's DAC..but the idea of paying so much more and getting only 32GB's plus internal storage as opposed to 120GB...

 

Jude and other top head fi'ers also use ipod classic..albeit with a fostex hp 1 or cypher labs solo


Edited by bowei006 - 2/20/12 at 3:58pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Looking for a shiny new DAP