Err how come the pitch gets higher as I turn up the volume? Things are so squeaky at 60 (using dt770).
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E17 + L7 LOD + E11 = Brief Impression Last post on 9/13/13 at 10:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/12/13 at 4:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/27/14 at 10:17pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Some advice for a portable amp/dac and home amp? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Remember: "Stay away from Razer". Razer headphones are just meant to be "fun" for a certain amount of time. After a few weeks they either break or become really uncomfortable. The sound is overall...
First I’d like to thank HiFiMAN for sending me their new HM-700 DAP and RE-400B (balanced version of the RE-400) bundle for me to review. I have always wondered about the balanced players that...
Foreword Chinese/HK headphone manufacturer Astrotec is known for its value-priced products (beginning with their lauded AM90), and they've stuck to their guns by pricing the AX35 (and its near...
When I bought these headphones about 2 months ago, I didn't expect much and I bought them without trying them out. It was an impulse buy to be honest, they were on a considerable discount and I...
I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they...
FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 411
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6152 of 64199/8/13 at 8:13amQuote:Originally Posted by ClieOS
Two parts answer:
1) Yes, it is a firmware bug and you are not supposed to be able to use 12dB in USB-in (I assume your "16dB" is a typo). It should have automatically switch to 6dB gain with USB-in. However, because FiiO didn't implement the firmware tight enough, you are able to fool the system and select the 12dB gain.
2) The reason FiiO doesn't want the user to use 12dB gain is because that is too high a gain for USB mode. It will just clip the amp section and result in distortion.
A very late Thank You for your detailed answer! Though I don't hear the E17 clip when set to +12db (it wasn't typo earlier it's really me thinking wrong since I don't have my E17 with me when I asked the question) using USB mode. I guess I'll have to listen again very carefully for any possible clippings..post #6153 of 64199/9/13 at 9:17pm
Ok... so I've tried using it without the Driver/ ASIO Program and it works relatively well. I still get the occasional hiccup where the sound disappears while the audio levels change in my Sound/Speaker/Volume thing in my notification bar but it is much better than a BSOD.
Right now, my workaround is to turn off the amp and DAC and turn it back to get audio again. If anyone has any tips about getting around this little hiccup, it'd be much appreciated. If not, thanks for everyone's help!post #6154 of 64199/12/13 at 2:05pm
Recently my e17 / e9 combo has been giving me trouble. I have to prop the e17 forward in the dock to get USB lock and re-dock it a few times to get both channels working. Has anyone heard of similar problems? I searched but didn't come across anything.post #6155 of 64199/13/13 at 4:08amQuote:
The FiiO dock connector is not up to Apple Dock quality in my opinion, one has to be really careful with it for sure. It really sounds to me like a connector problem, try my sloppy connector fit fix and see if it helps.
Other than that contact James from FiiO here on Head-Fi and let him know about it.
Good Luck!post #6156 of 64199/19/13 at 3:42pmpost #6157 of 64199/19/13 at 4:23pmQuote:
Yes.post #6158 of 64199/19/13 at 5:14pmpost #6159 of 64199/19/13 at 10:07pmpost #6160 of 64199/19/13 at 10:21pmpost #6161 of 64199/19/13 at 10:25pmpost #6162 of 64199/19/13 at 11:48pmpost #6163 of 64199/22/13 at 6:55pm
Just noticed this.
When you have the bypass switch on the E17 in the down position (so volume is controlled by the E9K) why is it louder than when you have the bypass switch in the up position? Volume is maxed out at 60 but the down position is still louder.
Is it because the gain is turned up when you have it in the down position? When the switch is in the up position, I have the gain setting set to 0 on the E17. Does it automatically raise the gain when you put the switch in the down position? (I'm assuming it's raising the gain to 6 by itself, even though the screen says 0).post #6164 of 64199/22/13 at 7:06pmIt bypasses all the onboard volume & EQ controls so you get line out levels to the E09K.
Try setting your gain to 6 and see if the output is the same with the switch up and volume 60.post #6165 of 64199/22/13 at 8:06pm
i notice today that when i use the E17 with headphones, i can hear a noise that is similar to 8/16 bit video game (something from like Asteroids from example). Happens a few times in a song; never notice this with speakers w/line out. I tried different headphones and it still occurs.
Going to try different usb cable/port, different music player, and OS.
BTW I also get BSOD related to asio on windows 7 too. Guess asio doesn't like my computer.
- FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII 52 seconds ago
- › Light Harmonic GEEK 1 minute ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 1 minute ago
- › DAP-off: Astell&Kern AK240, HiFiMAN HM-901, Sony ZX-1, FiiO X5 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2.2 Six weeks old ! **pristine condition** 3 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 3 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 4 minutes ago
- › JayBird SB2 - possible to use without bluetooth? 5 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › RAZER Kraken Pro Circumaural Analog Gaming Headset - Black by Bonny
- › HifiMan Electronics HM-700 DAC with RE-400b Balanced In-Ear... by lin0003
- › Astrotec AX35 by tomscy2000
- › Denon AH-D600 by derbigpr
- › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2 by Morph91
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by JamesSitter
- › Burson Audio - The Conductor - Reference Class DAC / Headphone Amp... by ag8908
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob