Err how come the pitch gets higher as I turn up the volume? Things are so squeaky at 60 (using dt770).
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E17 + L7 LOD + E11 = Brief Impression Last post on 9/13/13 at 10:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/12/13 at 4:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/26/13 at 7:09pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Some advice for a portable amp/dac and home amp? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: Yesterday
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
OVERVIEW The Effect Studio Thor Silver IEM Upgrade cable is the new flagship made from quad-braided pure UPOCC silver that has been cryo treated and put together with Cardas silver solder. The...
So, I've owned the 4.A and 4.ai as well as the ER4S and wanted to try something different. In retrospect, I almost pulled the trigger on the Noble 4, but I recall that the infamous dip with the...
These hurt my head almost right away. The good sound quality is not noticeable when my ears and head hurts. Having said that, the price is low and if you don't like them then just return them.
This will be a short review based on maybe on 12-15 hours of use. If you think that's not long enough you can skip it. I was a bit worried that this would be some cheap gimmicky toy amp because...
The short and simple of it is this is the best DAP for the price I have owned. I have used all the main stream players, (IPods, Zune, Creative Zen Player, etc) and I will never go back. Besides the...
FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 411
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6152 of 62779/8/13 at 8:13amQuote:Originally Posted by ClieOS
Two parts answer:
1) Yes, it is a firmware bug and you are not supposed to be able to use 12dB in USB-in (I assume your "16dB" is a typo). It should have automatically switch to 6dB gain with USB-in. However, because FiiO didn't implement the firmware tight enough, you are able to fool the system and select the 12dB gain.
2) The reason FiiO doesn't want the user to use 12dB gain is because that is too high a gain for USB mode. It will just clip the amp section and result in distortion.
A very late Thank You for your detailed answer! Though I don't hear the E17 clip when set to +12db (it wasn't typo earlier it's really me thinking wrong since I don't have my E17 with me when I asked the question) using USB mode. I guess I'll have to listen again very carefully for any possible clippings..post #6153 of 62779/9/13 at 9:17pm
Ok... so I've tried using it without the Driver/ ASIO Program and it works relatively well. I still get the occasional hiccup where the sound disappears while the audio levels change in my Sound/Speaker/Volume thing in my notification bar but it is much better than a BSOD.
Right now, my workaround is to turn off the amp and DAC and turn it back to get audio again. If anyone has any tips about getting around this little hiccup, it'd be much appreciated. If not, thanks for everyone's help!post #6154 of 62779/12/13 at 2:05pm
Recently my e17 / e9 combo has been giving me trouble. I have to prop the e17 forward in the dock to get USB lock and re-dock it a few times to get both channels working. Has anyone heard of similar problems? I searched but didn't come across anything.post #6155 of 62779/13/13 at 4:08amQuote:
The FiiO dock connector is not up to Apple Dock quality in my opinion, one has to be really careful with it for sure. It really sounds to me like a connector problem, try my sloppy connector fit fix and see if it helps.
Other than that contact James from FiiO here on Head-Fi and let him know about it.
Good Luck!post #6156 of 62779/19/13 at 3:42pmpost #6157 of 62779/19/13 at 4:23pmQuote:
Yes.post #6158 of 62779/19/13 at 5:14pmpost #6159 of 62779/19/13 at 10:07pmpost #6160 of 62779/19/13 at 10:21pmpost #6161 of 62779/19/13 at 10:25pmpost #6162 of 62779/19/13 at 11:48pmpost #6163 of 62779/22/13 at 6:55pm
Just noticed this.
When you have the bypass switch on the E17 in the down position (so volume is controlled by the E9K) why is it louder than when you have the bypass switch in the up position? Volume is maxed out at 60 but the down position is still louder.
Is it because the gain is turned up when you have it in the down position? When the switch is in the up position, I have the gain setting set to 0 on the E17. Does it automatically raise the gain when you put the switch in the down position? (I'm assuming it's raising the gain to 6 by itself, even though the screen says 0).post #6164 of 62779/22/13 at 7:06pmIt bypasses all the onboard volume & EQ controls so you get line out levels to the E09K.
Try setting your gain to 6 and see if the output is the same with the switch up and volume 60.post #6165 of 62779/22/13 at 8:06pm
i notice today that when i use the E17 with headphones, i can hear a noise that is similar to 8/16 bit video game (something from like Asteroids from example). Happens a few times in a song; never notice this with speakers w/line out. I tried different headphones and it still occurs.
Going to try different usb cable/port, different music player, and OS.
BTW I also get BSOD related to asio on windows 7 too. Guess asio doesn't like my computer.
- FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › FiiO newsflash: James’ latest firmware update cures cancer (we hope) 50 seconds ago
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!)... 3 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 4 minutes ago
- › = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 = (Modulor orders updated... 5 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 5 minutes ago
- › RSA SR71b, quad mono balanced. img. 1 & 17 Review pg 32, 34, 68,... 5 minutes ago
- › The NEW ATH-ES700.. 5 minutes ago
- › HIFIMAN HM-901 Hi-end music player , price drops 6 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 7 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 10 minutes ago
- › Effect Audio Thor cable by average_joe
- › Heir Audio Tzar 350 by alpha421
- › Panasonic RP-HC720-K Over Ear Headphones Noise Canceling 95% by oostrov
- › iFi iCAN headphone amplifier by tdockweiler
- › COWON J3 32 GB Portable Media Player (Black) by lexangl
- › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic... by TThorsen
- › EB92 In-Ear MicroFit Monitors by MadMusicJunkie
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by xoriac
- › Roland RH-200 Monitor Headphones by IEMagnet01
- › Perfect Sound d901b by gelocks
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe