Err how come the pitch gets higher as I turn up the volume? Things are so squeaky at 60 (using dt770).
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E17 + L7 LOD + E11 = Brief Impression Last post on 9/13/13 at 10:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/21/14 at 11:27pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/27/14 at 10:17pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Some advice for a portable amp/dac and home amp? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
First, a big thanks to Todd The Vinyl Junkie for making the 'e' series loaner program possible. To the next guy in line: sorry I kept them for so long. The very first pair of 'high-end'...
A big thanks to TekFusion for sending the TwinWoofer in for review and Ibrahim for taking the photo shots! TekFusion is a brand new fresh company based in India. Targeted for consumer...
I enjoy these headphones very much. A beautiful sound, clear and natural with a tight bass. I am a bit surprised such small cans can sounds so good. The wood finish might not suit everyone, but...
INTRODUCTION Build quality is excellent. This is my second headphone review.M40x is a recent release from Audio Technica,it is a...
PACKAGING : Earphones cames with a nice little box and 2 pair of white foamies (1 pair of donut and 1 pair of classic covered). I’m always using donuts one since it provides some slightly more...
FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 411
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6152 of 65449/8/13 at 8:13amQuote:Originally Posted by ClieOS
Two parts answer:
1) Yes, it is a firmware bug and you are not supposed to be able to use 12dB in USB-in (I assume your "16dB" is a typo). It should have automatically switch to 6dB gain with USB-in. However, because FiiO didn't implement the firmware tight enough, you are able to fool the system and select the 12dB gain.
2) The reason FiiO doesn't want the user to use 12dB gain is because that is too high a gain for USB mode. It will just clip the amp section and result in distortion.
A very late Thank You for your detailed answer! Though I don't hear the E17 clip when set to +12db (it wasn't typo earlier it's really me thinking wrong since I don't have my E17 with me when I asked the question) using USB mode. I guess I'll have to listen again very carefully for any possible clippings..post #6153 of 65449/9/13 at 9:17pm
Ok... so I've tried using it without the Driver/ ASIO Program and it works relatively well. I still get the occasional hiccup where the sound disappears while the audio levels change in my Sound/Speaker/Volume thing in my notification bar but it is much better than a BSOD.
Right now, my workaround is to turn off the amp and DAC and turn it back to get audio again. If anyone has any tips about getting around this little hiccup, it'd be much appreciated. If not, thanks for everyone's help!post #6154 of 65449/12/13 at 2:05pm
Recently my e17 / e9 combo has been giving me trouble. I have to prop the e17 forward in the dock to get USB lock and re-dock it a few times to get both channels working. Has anyone heard of similar problems? I searched but didn't come across anything.post #6155 of 65449/13/13 at 4:08amQuote:
The FiiO dock connector is not up to Apple Dock quality in my opinion, one has to be really careful with it for sure. It really sounds to me like a connector problem, try my sloppy connector fit fix and see if it helps.
Other than that contact James from FiiO here on Head-Fi and let him know about it.
Good Luck!post #6156 of 65449/19/13 at 3:42pmpost #6157 of 65449/19/13 at 4:23pmQuote:
Yes.post #6158 of 65449/19/13 at 5:14pmpost #6159 of 65449/19/13 at 10:07pmpost #6160 of 65449/19/13 at 10:21pmpost #6161 of 65449/19/13 at 10:25pmpost #6162 of 65449/19/13 at 11:48pmpost #6163 of 65449/22/13 at 6:55pm
Just noticed this.
When you have the bypass switch on the E17 in the down position (so volume is controlled by the E9K) why is it louder than when you have the bypass switch in the up position? Volume is maxed out at 60 but the down position is still louder.
Is it because the gain is turned up when you have it in the down position? When the switch is in the up position, I have the gain setting set to 0 on the E17. Does it automatically raise the gain when you put the switch in the down position? (I'm assuming it's raising the gain to 6 by itself, even though the screen says 0).post #6164 of 65449/22/13 at 7:06pmIt bypasses all the onboard volume & EQ controls so you get line out levels to the E09K.
Try setting your gain to 6 and see if the output is the same with the switch up and volume 60.post #6165 of 65449/22/13 at 8:06pm
i notice today that when i use the E17 with headphones, i can hear a noise that is similar to 8/16 bit video game (something from like Asteroids from example). Happens a few times in a song; never notice this with speakers w/line out. I tried different headphones and it still occurs.
Going to try different usb cable/port, different music player, and OS.
BTW I also get BSOD related to asio on windows 7 too. Guess asio doesn't like my computer.
- FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › After you buy a headphone what is most important to you? 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page latest FW download & general... 3 minutes ago
- › Portable Headphone Amplifier "WAGNUS Bialbero Epsilon S" impression... 3 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Appreciation Thread 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 5 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 6 minutes ago
- › X5 - New Firmware: Suggestions (other than Playlist features) 7 minutes ago
- › DragonFly 1.2 small issue,, please help.. 8 minutes ago
- › Grado Labs SR225e by yage
- › Tekfusion Twinwoofers by BillsonChang007
- › ATH-ESW10JPN by bluelines
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M40x Professional Headphones by krishtrinity1
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by subwoof3r
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by lin0003
- › FiiO Kilimanjaro 2 (E11K) Portable Headphone Amplifier by twister6
- › Audio Technica Sonic Fuel ATH-CKX9iS In-ear Headphones with In-line... by TheAfterEffect
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by eke2k6
- › ASUS Essence III by 00lunar
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)