Err how come the pitch gets higher as I turn up the volume? Things are so squeaky at 60 (using dt770).
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- FiiO E17 + L7 LOD + E11 = Brief Impression Last post on 9/13/13 at 10:07am in Portable Headphone Amps
- Fiio E17 to drive Sennheiser HD650? Last post on 7/12/13 at 4:46am in Headphones (full-size)
- New to amps...Help! Fiio E7 vs. Fiio E11 Last post on 1/27/14 at 10:17pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- Sennheiser HD598 amp/dac Last post on 7/30/13 at 11:41am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Some advice for a portable amp/dac and home amp? Last post on 7/23/12 at 10:06pm in Portable Headphone Amps
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/5/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/19/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)Last edited: 5/13/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
The AH-D7100's immediately became my go-to headphones for daily use since the day I purchased them three weeks ago. They sound much fuller compared to my Beyerdynamic T5P's and produce high sound...
You get what you see. Nothing extra. CNT or "Carbon nano tube" diaphrams/drivers were developed by the Chinese (I studied this) and J.V.C was the first to mass produce it in their...
FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought - Page 411
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #6152 of 63659/8/13 at 8:13amQuote:Originally Posted by ClieOS
Two parts answer:
1) Yes, it is a firmware bug and you are not supposed to be able to use 12dB in USB-in (I assume your "16dB" is a typo). It should have automatically switch to 6dB gain with USB-in. However, because FiiO didn't implement the firmware tight enough, you are able to fool the system and select the 12dB gain.
2) The reason FiiO doesn't want the user to use 12dB gain is because that is too high a gain for USB mode. It will just clip the amp section and result in distortion.
A very late Thank You for your detailed answer! Though I don't hear the E17 clip when set to +12db (it wasn't typo earlier it's really me thinking wrong since I don't have my E17 with me when I asked the question) using USB mode. I guess I'll have to listen again very carefully for any possible clippings..post #6153 of 63659/9/13 at 9:17pm
Ok... so I've tried using it without the Driver/ ASIO Program and it works relatively well. I still get the occasional hiccup where the sound disappears while the audio levels change in my Sound/Speaker/Volume thing in my notification bar but it is much better than a BSOD.
Right now, my workaround is to turn off the amp and DAC and turn it back to get audio again. If anyone has any tips about getting around this little hiccup, it'd be much appreciated. If not, thanks for everyone's help!post #6154 of 63659/12/13 at 2:05pm
Recently my e17 / e9 combo has been giving me trouble. I have to prop the e17 forward in the dock to get USB lock and re-dock it a few times to get both channels working. Has anyone heard of similar problems? I searched but didn't come across anything.post #6155 of 63659/13/13 at 4:08amQuote:
The FiiO dock connector is not up to Apple Dock quality in my opinion, one has to be really careful with it for sure. It really sounds to me like a connector problem, try my sloppy connector fit fix and see if it helps.
Other than that contact James from FiiO here on Head-Fi and let him know about it.
Good Luck!post #6156 of 63659/19/13 at 3:42pmpost #6157 of 63659/19/13 at 4:23pmQuote:
Yes.post #6158 of 63659/19/13 at 5:14pmpost #6159 of 63659/19/13 at 10:07pmpost #6160 of 63659/19/13 at 10:21pmpost #6161 of 63659/19/13 at 10:25pmpost #6162 of 63659/19/13 at 11:48pmpost #6163 of 63659/22/13 at 6:55pm
Just noticed this.
When you have the bypass switch on the E17 in the down position (so volume is controlled by the E9K) why is it louder than when you have the bypass switch in the up position? Volume is maxed out at 60 but the down position is still louder.
Is it because the gain is turned up when you have it in the down position? When the switch is in the up position, I have the gain setting set to 0 on the E17. Does it automatically raise the gain when you put the switch in the down position? (I'm assuming it's raising the gain to 6 by itself, even though the screen says 0).post #6164 of 63659/22/13 at 7:06pmIt bypasses all the onboard volume & EQ controls so you get line out levels to the E09K.
Try setting your gain to 6 and see if the output is the same with the switch up and volume 60.post #6165 of 63659/22/13 at 8:06pm
i notice today that when i use the E17 with headphones, i can hear a noise that is similar to 8/16 bit video game (something from like Asteroids from example). Happens a few times in a song; never notice this with speakers w/line out. I tried different headphones and it still occurs.
Going to try different usb cable/port, different music player, and OS.
BTW I also get BSOD related to asio on windows 7 too. Guess asio doesn't like my computer.
- FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs...
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 2 seconds ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 6 seconds ago
- › LSK Dual ESS 9018 DAC - Any English speaking Chinese Head-Fiers... 37 seconds ago
- › The "IEMs That Significantly Perform BELOW Their Price Point" Thread 49 seconds ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 1 minute ago
- › Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King 2 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 2 minutes ago
- › Cowon Plenue P1 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › Superlux HD669 by mang0
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude