or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153 - Page 100

post #1486 of 32875
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiddu View Post


big surprise, I only ended up in this thread because I was reading another one where people were recommending +$100 earphones to the OP even though 100 was his limit, they were even arguing amongst eachother what is better.  Among all the pages was a single post linking to this thread, the poster talked about the effectiveness of an EQ and the sub $10 Philips he was using and it rung a bell for me since I've gone down this same path before when assembling my HT, which BTW sounds awesome for the price I paid for it, no $1000 pure silver speaker cable on "risers" included LOL.  Anyway how many responses do you think this poster got in that thread?  The answer is 0, completely ignored which is pretty funny.  Audiophiles are suckers and businesses are more than happy to give them something to suck on for a certain price.  I could go on and on, touching topics such as "burn in" etc.. but I don't care, people are free to do what they want if it makes them happy, Head-Fi has been quite usefull to me especially with members such as Dsnuts who can swallow the harsh pill and recognize quality even if it doesn't cost $500.  Not that super expensive gear isn't good or better in many cases but my point is in general, consumers (audiophiles included), are not engineers and logic doesn't really play a huge part in their choices, usually it's the opposite as expensive correlates with better in most our minds when we can't back anything up with real science.

 

I'm going to pick up some JVC today, granted they're in stock at the store, and I'll see how they stack up to the 2x more expensive Nuforce (which were supposed to be a bargain according to Head-Fi to begin with).

 

Cheers Dsnuts!  You should change the thread title to something reflecting the nature of what you are doing here, ie. "The awesome IEMs at bargain prices thread" :) .. and maybe update the first post with a list of the ones you've found.  Many countries will not have the same gear available but they will have at least some of them, so everyone could find a budget IEM for themselves that way.

 

 

Agreed, This thread is an evolving one and I am in the process of changing it as we go along. A work in progress for sure..I think headfier's for the most part know that whatever I post for a thread on headfi means they have a certain value criteria for me. If it don't have a great value at the price, it is simple with me. It just don't get a thread. There are plenty of expensive stuff people can read about all day long here at headfi and I remember being ridiculed from some headfiers for doing a thread based on a $7.11 Mp 8320. Lol..These threads shouldn't be about this cheap stuff was the point.

 

If you guys think about it, who uses their $800 customs while doing your yard work, play or working out..? I certainly wouldn't.. For the most part we all want to believe that we will get a certain sound quality level with the amount of money we all pay but for me I don't look at it that way.. I get just as much enjoyment listening to my cheapos as I do my much more expensive stuff. I base these finds on sound first but hey if it cost $16 what can you say about that. Who says you can't do your yard work, play or work out and not have great sound.?

 

I don't know exactly how I find these gems. I have my scouts..Jant71..Lol.  but I am lucky that way I suppose. Even though I go through a lot of turds. It is all worth it to find something like these new JVCs. All I am doing is sharing what I find with friends that would probably appreciate a break from not getting much for your money to getting the opposite. I think I was hated as much as liked when I first joined this community and people I think can see me for what I do now. These cheapos are for everyone and not just for the guys that can afford a 8 driver custom iem..That to me makes more sense than anything. I have heard and own many of the more expensive stuff on these threads and many times I wonder why I bought them. They cost so much more than these cheapos yet don't necessarily throw out that much better sound quality. To me if it sounds good and cost $7.11 to $300. It better have some solid value and quality  at that price.

 

Another role of these cheaper fantastic sounding earphones for the serious music lover..If you guys want to look good among your friends and loved ones and want to start them on the path to good sound..Just throw them one of these JVCs. Not only will you smile as you can actually surprise them with a new box in a favorite color no doubt but I can certainly guarantee they have never heard sound this good from the other cheapo stuff they was using before.. That to me is a sign of a true audiophile..It should be about the sound first, but also happens to be a huge smile inducing bonus that you only spent $16 on them. Lol!


Edited by Dsnuts - 5/20/12 at 2:51pm
post #1487 of 32875
Thread Starter 

So here it is. The first comparo. The MG7 vs the HAFX101. Lol.

 

So. I am A/Bing against my very burned in MG7s. These have more of a monitor type sound with big sub bass and I was thinking this would make for an interesting comparo.

 

Clarity/ Detail:

 

HAFX101> MG7s. Everything is more separated vocals instruments and the cleaner sound bodes well for the FX101. In fact I didn't realize just how gimpy the MG7s were until I started to do this comparo but the bass on these do overtake vocals and the highs are almost recessed. After hearing the FX101 cleaner more detailed layered sound these are down right sad actually. The bass rhythm notes on Sade over takes the vocals on these. Overall tone is darker and the sound shot through a small tube, literally.

 

Highs;

 

HAFX101>MG7s. The highs are actually much more clearly defined over the MG7s..There is no competition here.  On some tunes the high are again down right gimpy on the MG7s. On timbalands 808. The highs are so limp on the MG7s. I would call them recessed. People that would actually like to hear some clearly defined highs. Stay away from the MG7s.

 

Mids:

 

HAFX101>MG7s. The JVCs have much cleaner and more layered mid section. very smooth richer more realized and not so flat sounding as the MG7s. The mids are also gimpy on the MG7s. The mids sound flat and less imaging as a result .I hate to say it but imo these 2 earphones should have been reversed. It is the MG7s that should be sold for $16. Lol For $16 they would sound good. For what they are selling these for.Lol.

 

Lows:

 

HAFX101=MG7s. Lol! What you know. I knew the sub bass was strong on the HAFX101 but I had no idea it was at the MG7 level. I think the MG7 is a tad bit stronger but wait it ain't because the sub bass is stronger it is because the sub bass on the FX101 is tighter and cleaner sounding.

 

Conclusion. I would take a $16 HAFX101 over a MG7 every time. Here is why. These are so much cleaner and tighter just better sounding to my ears vs the MG7. The HAF101 sound like the MG7 done right. The only genre the MG7 sound ok for is EDM but even then the highs are so rolled off on the MG7s they just don't sound right to me. Imagery is the biggest problem for the MG7 or the lack there of.  To my ears the HAF101 sound superior to them in every single way. Better imaging ,better layered sound, cleaner deeper and just sound better overall. . The roles have completely reversed here. The HAFX101 sound like the higher end earphone here.

 

31jpJCaMTYL._AA160_.jpg > 31W7qDCv-9L._AA160_.jpg


Edited by Dsnuts - 5/20/12 at 5:34pm
post #1488 of 32875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Kid View Post

I guess I've been spoiled by higher-end gear because the FX40 sounds like a $20 or $30 IEM to me.  My buddy that got the CKS77 took a chance with these after everyone saying they sound as good as $100 sets.  I listened to the FX40 and compared them to my MG7, Aurvana IE3 and R-50 which are all $120 and under, they all sounded better then the JVC's.  Tomorrow my R-20's (the R-50 has my wondering how good their cheaper stuff is) will be here they were $39.99 and I'll compare them to the JVC's.

How much better is the question. If a $120 IEM is only a very slight improvent over an excellent $20 one, then why buy the $120 one(unless you are so rich that $100 means absolutely nothing to you). The HA-FX40 is very good, however I can't honestly say that I like it better than the Panasonic RP-HJE355. Both were around $20 and both have great detail. The HJE355 fits me better, and I prefer the right angle plug it has. The HJE355 is more efficient at 105 db/mw vs 101 db/mw for the HA-FX40. The build quality on the HJE355 does seem a bit better, although both seem sturdy. I can't make up my mind which of these I like better. Both are surely worth buying.

 

The HA-FX40 has 8.5 mm drivers, while the drivers on the HJE355 are 10.7mm. The enclosures on the HA-FX40 seem much larger than those on the HJE355.

 

When will JVC make IEMs that use drivers at least 12.5 mm and use carbon nanotube technology?


Edited by JK1 - 5/20/12 at 10:38pm
post #1489 of 32875
Thread Starter 

Well. Unless your an absolute fan boy and hate to admit it. I challenge anyone to A/B the FX101 against their MG7s. It is pretty shocking..

 

HJE355 are ok but I didn't fine them too special. I suppose all of our taste are different.. I did like the older HJE350 but again it is just my opinion but both these JVCs sound superior to anything around the price range to my ears. And even a much more expensive MG7. Lol..

post #1490 of 32875
wow this is great I've gotten 3 great IEMs all for less than $100. goes to show you no longer have to spend big$ to get big sound. thanks everyone and Dsnuts for sharing your finds.
post #1491 of 32875
Thread Starter 

Ya but see now. This hobby is so subjective and opinionated..What I consider sounding good might not sound so good to others. It is difficult like that so before you say you got a good deal. I might have gotten you to bite on some earphones that might suck for you..

 

The one thing I am certain is I have never in the life of me had 100% satisfied rating on any of my threads.. Well I take that back. the CKM500 so far everyone loves em. But minus that. .Even the $7.11 Mp 8320 which sound fantastic for the price but people be bitchen about this and that. It always happens. Lol.. I try is all I can say. So for the guys that eventually get something I suggest on these threads and end up not liking them for whatever your reasons are. I apologize.


Edited by Dsnuts - 5/20/12 at 6:51pm
post #1492 of 32875

Well i've got 50 hours on the FX50s with pink noise...

 

Problem is i'm too nervous to give them a shot. Last time the highs were so sharp/harsh that i'm still feeling it.

 

Which sucks, because i actually really enjoy the clarity and detail they have - granted my TF10s and JH5s are far more "open" sounding,  but they sound brilliant for the price. Might have to hand these gems over to my brother...

 

Do you think the fx101 would be easier on my ears? I like bass, but not at the expense of an open soundstage, detail, or clarity. Turns out my ears cant handle anything even remotely close to overly crisp/sharp/sparkly even though i like detail in the highs...

 

I should really never listen to foo fighters bridges burning with anything not flat... too many cymbal hits.

post #1493 of 32875
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnullify View Post

Well i've got 50 hours on the FX50s with pink noise...

 

Problem is i'm too nervous to give them a shot. Last time the highs were so sharp/harsh that i'm still feeling it.

 

Which sucks, because i actually really enjoy the clarity and detail they have - granted my TF10s and JH5s are far more "open" sounding,  but they sound brilliant for the price. Might have to hand these gems over to my brother...

 

Do you think the fx101 would be easier on my ears? I like bass, but not at the expense of an open soundstage, detail, or clarity. Turns out my ears cant handle anything even remotely close to overly crisp/sharp/sparkly even though i like detail in the highs...

 

I should really never listen to foo fighters bridges burning with anything not flat... too many cymbal hits.


Actually I was gonna PM you and tell you to try out a FX101..The FX40s as you know is more about the clarity and detailed sound.  The FX101 is much more easier to listen to. You can think of these as a bigger bassier musical version of the FX40s. The highs are not as extended on these FX40s so they will be much easier for you to listen to. 


Edited by Dsnuts - 5/20/12 at 6:58pm
post #1494 of 32875

Are they along the same lines as the SHE3850, or much better in every regard? I really like the SHE when i first got them, but for whatever reason i'm now finding the bass overbearing of detail. Dunno if this is just because of burn-in, recent listening habits, or whatnot.

 

Then again $16 shipped is probably worth a shot.

 

 

We should start a tally of how many units of specific models have been bought during the course of this 100+ page thread.

post #1495 of 32875
Thread Starter 

Well you see me comparing a she3580 to a mg7?  The fx101s are an upgrade to the she3580 and the mg7 for that matter.

post #1496 of 32875

Haha, i guess i should have drawn that conclusion.

 

 

definitely gonna grab a pair of the 101s.

 

i actually really like these 40s. I'm going to have to put together a list of mellow music to listen to with them. I actually really enjoy the sound, but the second the snare is hit, or the crash symbol is smashed,even at low volumes there is pain. I can't say i've experienced this before, and I play the drums! It's almost jarring, like bass impact but in the highs like a pin to the eardrum.

 

I really like these though, call me optimistic but i'm going to put these in for another 50 hours of pink noise and see if anything changes.

 

edit: and the words ending in "s" comes off really sharp in male/female vocals.


Edited by dnullify - 5/20/12 at 8:07pm
post #1497 of 32875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsnuts View Post


Actually I was gonna PM you and tell you to try out a FX101..The FX40s as you know is more about the clarity and detailed sound.  The FX101 is much more easier to listen to. You can think of these as a bigger bassier musical version of the FX40s. The highs are not as extended on these FX40s so they will be much easier for you to listen to. 

Good to know. I might actually prefer the HA-FX101 to the HA-FX40. I am not very treble sensitive, yet I do find the treble on the HA-FX40 to be a bit of a problem for me, especially at higher volumes. The bass on the HA-FX40 sounds a bit strange. I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't sound natural. The bass on the HA-FX1X doesn't sound natural to me either, while the bass on the Panasonic RP-HJE450 does sound natural to me. I am hoping the bass on the HA-FX101 will sound natural to me.

 

The HA-FX40 is good for the price, however it does have its issues.

post #1498 of 32875
That's a huge claim Nuts. The MG7 have been acknowledged as the sub bass kings for awhile and you stating that these are better at Everything for just 16 bucks!? This is a claim I have to check out myself soon. Im prepared to be shocked.
post #1499 of 32875
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacrazydude View Post

That's a huge claim Nuts. The MG7 have been acknowledged as the sub bass kings for awhile and you stating that these are better at Everything for just 16 bucks!? This is a claim I have to check out myself soon. Im prepared to be shocked.

sub bass kings with terribad sound quality.  I just did an A /B. I can undestand why people are facinated with them.  But I am just telling it like I hear it. I didn't realize  how unspectacular those are inover all sound quality untill I started paying close attention to their sound.  I am so much more impressed with the fx101s .   Here is the real test. take a fx101 let someone hear them in a blind test and then let them hear the mg7.  It won't take too much for that person to figure out which one has the better sound. It is easy to hear the differences in the two actually.

 

Truth be told you can have the biggest brawniest sub bass on the planet . That don't mean nothing to me if the rest of the sound isn't right. I demand more out of my $100 earphones. 


Edited by Dsnuts - 5/20/12 at 8:56pm
post #1500 of 32875
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnullify View Post

Haha, i guess i should have drawn that conclusion.


definitely gonna grab a pair of the 101s.

i actually really like these 40s. I'm going to have to put together a list of mellow music to listen to with them. I actually really enjoy the sound, but the second the snare is hit, or the crash symbol is smashed,even at low volumes there is pain. I can't say i've experienced this before, and I play the drums! It's almost jarring, like bass impact but in the highs like a pin to the eardrum.

I really like these though, call me optimistic but i'm going to put these in for another 50 hours of pink noise and see if anything changes.

edit: and the words ending in "s" comes off really sharp in male/female vocals.
I'm having the same problem. They've smoothed out a bit since opening package 20-30 hours on mine so far. But it's still there. It's almost like it overdrives your ear in the treble side. But everything sounds soo good. I've done side by side with the CKS77s and there is no treble pain with the ATs.

Edit: mine have about 25 hrs on them now and I've noticed more pain with my 1st gen iPad with the HP out. Less with my iPhone 4. When I add my CMoy to the mix it slightly rolls off the treble and the pain goes away with either source and sounds even better. I suspect a spike in the 16-20k is the culprit. I wonder how long these drivers take to settle in?
Edited by musubi1000 - 5/20/12 at 10:08pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by ericp10. Page 2153