Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Can someone help me speed up my computer. It's way to slow.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can someone help me speed up my computer. It's way to slow.

post #1 of 90
Thread Starter 

It's brand new (less then 15 days old). fully updated running windows 7 sp1. already did ccleaner registry cleaning.

Specs
intel core i3 370m
ati radeon hd 5470
4gm ram
640gb hard drive.
windows 7 home premium.

seriously i noticed lag or delay when using the gui

i have a toshiba with the following specs
amd athlon 2 p320
4gb ram
ati radeon hd 4200
640gb hard drive

the toshiba runs circles around the acer

please help me.

why is the gui so slow.

 

i also already removed all of the pre packaged software.

 

i asked this on yahoo answers but no one was helpful

 

please help me.

post #2 of 90
if you have all aero enabled it is going to slow the gui way down on that card. otherwise check for viri. i like norton 360. it has a free trial. you may also need a fresh os install. sometimes a win7 install gets messed up. if it is a namebrand machine they load the os with bloatware. try a standard oem win7 install if that's the case. other than that i cannot help more without being there. there is so much that can go wrong it is impossible to troubleshoot here. that is the most basic stuff to look for though. hope that helps.
post #3 of 90
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_man View Post

if you have all aero enabled it is going to slow the gui way down on that card. otherwise check for viri. i like norton 360. it has a free trial. you may also need a fresh os install. sometimes a win7 install gets messed up. if it is a namebrand machine they load the os with bloatware. try a standard oem win7 install if that's the case. other than that i cannot help more without being there. there is so much that can go wrong it is impossible to troubleshoot here. that is the most basic stuff to look for though. hope that helps.


I don't think it's the gpu causing it to slow down. My netbook has aero enabled and it still is faster and more responsive.

post #4 of 90
Thread Starter 

OK I feel like trashing this thing. I have tried everything. And yet it still lags on the simplest tasks. it lags when mouse scrolling through webpages. Even through my programs in the start menu. There is even a delayed response when i switch tasks. My freaking NETBOOK runs better.

post #5 of 90
Thread Starter 

I have tried virus scans, Registry cleaners, Disc defraggers, system restores, uninstalls, you name it. I am running 0 processes and my cpu is it 1% and it can't even run the task bar without lagging.

post #6 of 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post

I have tried virus scans, Registry cleaners, Disc defraggers, system restores, uninstalls, you name it. I am running 0 processes and my cpu is it 1% and it can't even run the task bar without lagging.


I think reinstalling the OS is the best way.

 

post #7 of 90
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikp View Post




I think reinstalling the OS is the best way.

May not be what i wanted to hear but i guess i have no other options.

post #8 of 90

Try running an ubuntu live disk to see how it performs in another os, even though your system spec well qualify you to run windows 7, windows xp might be a better option especially if you don't plan on doing much gaming.

post #9 of 90

Run a malware/spyware scan. But reinstalling the OS usually solves everything. Also since its only 15day old try returning it.

post #10 of 90
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxhaxx View Post

Run a malware/spyware scan. But reinstalling the OS usually solves everything. Also since its only 15day old try returning it.


It was a gift i cannot return it.

 

post #11 of 90
I'd also try something like the Ubuntu live disk. See if it runs.

One slight possibility might be Firefox, if you're running it. I've seen it gobble RAM and slow machines down.
post #12 of 90
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by arteom View Post

Try running an ubuntu live disk to see how it performs in another os, even though your system spec well qualify you to run windows 7, windows xp might be a better option especially if you don't plan on doing much gaming.



Why would windows 7 not be a good option if windows 7 runs on my much lower end toshiba and my incredibly low end acer aspire one netbook which is 2 years old. Keep in mind it out performs the new acer on both machines.

post #13 of 90
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post

I'd also try something like the Ubuntu live disk. See if it runs.

One slight possibility might be Firefox, if you're running it. I've seen it gobble RAM and slow machines down.


The system is slow and laggy without anything running.

post #14 of 90

Strange how CPU is at 1% and still slow... Windows 7 should be pretty fast on an i3

 

Open up a list of all your active tasks/processes and see what's running. Kill anything that looks suspicious.

 

If you decide you need to reinstall Windows it should take less than half-an-hour to restore the laptop to factory settings.

post #15 of 90
Thread Starter 

Would the fact i only have 250gb left of my 640gb hard drivehave anything to do with it? I wouldn't think it would considering i have 4gb left on my toshiba and its speedy.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Gear-Fi: Non-Audio Gear and Gadgets › Can someone help me speed up my computer. It's way to slow.