Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Question about amps for the Stax SR-009
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question about amps for the Stax SR-009 - Page 40

post #586 of 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by purk View Post
 

 

I agree with you on this.  Thanks to you, I now own the fabulous sounding Stax DIY T2.  

Why do some people have all the luck? :D  Anybody else find T2 inadequate and wants to sell?  

post #587 of 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

Abyss + Vali ($199). Cheaper than any 009 rig (the SRM323 doesn't cut it for the 009). :biggrin:

 

My kgsshv and 009 (once they arrive from PJ) have cost me about $300 less than the price of an abyss alone. :cool: 

post #588 of 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens View Post
 

 

Yep. I do think the unit I got was not as good as the one I heard in LA. I did remove the outer grill, and the diaphragm was significantly wrinkled around the edges.  I think it was an early unit and had been around to a number of reviewers before me. Joe said he'd send me another to measure if I'd like, I'll take him up on it someday soon.

 

If this ortho headphone (Abyss) is so revolutionary, with the only single row of magnets on one side of the membrane, and if it turns viable (ie reliable over time), well, it is enough to be a little patient and wait a year or two the manufacture of a Chinese clone of this revolutionary Abyss headphone for the fifth the current price.
That is my prediction.

Eric

post #589 of 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric65 View Post

 

If this ortho headphone (Abyss) is so revolutionary, with the only single row of magnets on one side of the membrane, and if it turns viable (ie reliable over time), well, it is enough to be a little patient and wait a year or two the manufacture of a Chinese clone of this revolutionary Abyss headphone for the fifth the current price.
That is my prediction.

Eric

 



Yeah, like all those made in China knock-off R10s, Qualias, Omegas, 009s, etc., that you can buy for cheap these days. Besides, was not under the impression there was anything revolutionary at play here - the ortho design has been around for a long time, revived by Audeze and HiFiMan. Abyss is just another player.
Edited by georgep - 12/3/13 at 6:16am
post #590 of 722

Must be their price that's revolutionary!!!

 

Or how much will the market stand price-wise for each new incarnation.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgep View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric65 View Post
 

 

If this ortho headphone (Abyss) is so revolutionary, with the only single row of magnets on one side of the membrane, and if it turns viable (ie reliable over time), well, it is enough to be a little patient and wait a year or two the manufacture of a Chinese clone of this revolutionary Abyss headphone for the fifth the current price.
That is my prediction.

Eric

 



Yeah, like all those made in China knock-off R10s, Qualias, Omegas, 009s, etc., that you can buy for cheap these days. Besides, was not under the impression there was anything revolutionary at play here - the ortho design has been around for a long time, revived by Audeze and HiFiMan. Abyss is just another player.
post #591 of 722

Hello, have anyone tried to pair the SR-009 with the Resonessence Invicta Mirus? I got a pretty good deal on it but I just want to know if it's a huge improvement over my Benchmark DAC2 in term of details and neutrality or not. I'm currently funding for the KGSSHV but I must admit this deal is quite hard to overlook.

post #592 of 722
Finally I've received my new amp for the 009s, just before Christmas

LL

It's massive, heavy and gorgeous (or at least I like it!)
post #593 of 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmassy View Post

Finally I've received my new amp for the 009s, just before Christmas
  Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
LL


It's massive, heavy and gorgeous (or at least I like it!)

 

What a lovely X'mas present! Care to share more info on this please?

post #594 of 722
Thanks!
It's made in Italy (I'm Italian, living in UK for 5 years) by a company called Megahertz Audio. The amp is hand made, on request, so you can customise a few things like the type of wood or the colour of the top plate. Mine is in Pau Rosa, which is a very very hard, not easy to work, but is a real beauty.
It's a full tube design, with RCA and XLR input, 2 6SL7 in the preamp section (plus a 6SN7 to balance the unbalanced input) and 4 EL34 in the power section.

As for the sound, can't say much as it's brand new but seems very neutral and dynamic (more than my STAX 600ltd) with good solid bass.
post #595 of 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmassy View Post

Thanks!
It's made in Italy (I'm Italian, living in UK for 5 years) by a company called Megahertz Audio. The amp is hand made, on request, so you can customise a few things like the type of wood or the colour of the top plate. Mine is in Pau Rosa, which is a very very hard, not easy to work, but is a real beauty.
It's a full tube design, with RCA and XLR input, 2 6SL7 in the preamp section (plus a 6SN7 to balance the unbalanced input) and 4 EL34 in the power section.

As for the sound, can't say much as it's brand new but seems very neutral and dynamic (more than my STAX 600ltd) with good solid bass.

 

Thank you for the info. If you don't mind me asking, how much did something like this set you back? I couldn't even find your model on their website (but then again, looks like I need a lesson in Italian). I like your "good solid bass" comment esp for the SR-009 ;-).

post #596 of 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmassy View Post

Finally I've received my new amp for the 009s, just before Christmas

LL

It's massive, heavy and gorgeous (or at least I like it!)

Nice looking amp Massi, congratulations.
post #597 of 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

Thank you for the info. If you don't mind me asking, how much did something like this set you back? I couldn't even find your model on their website (but then again, looks like I need a lesson in Italian). I like your "good solid bass" comment esp for the SR-009 ;-).
http://www.megahertzaudio.it/guerra.htm
Its name is Guerra.
And there's a SE version (called Pace) with 845 tubes, which I've only heard in a meeting with basically unknown music and equipment.

As you can see from those pictures (the first two are from friends of mine) the gloss finish can give the amp a more modern look, or you could stick with a classic combination of cherry and Bordeaux.
Price is less thank 3k euros, depending on the finish. Mine took about 4 months to build, as there were other customers in the queue.

Back to the sound, the solid bass is what I immediately noticed: the cello literally vibrates in your ears, not just the strings but the whole body of the instrument as well.

It's neutral, timbrically similar to the 600Ltd with no particular focus on a range of frequencies, but it is has better dynamic, with good instrument separation in the louder passages. Attacks are cleaner and this is something I didn't notice in the 600Ltd as I use to listen to low level.

I'm still using the stock tubes (tungsol el34 and golden Dragon 6sl7) so there's a potential margin of improvement, as well as completing at least 100 hours of burn-in.
post #598 of 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post

Nice looking amp Massi, congratulations.
Thanks Dave!
post #599 of 722
It's now about a month since I received the Megahertz Guerra amp, and I think it's still getting better day after day. I'm using the stock tubes (some chinese 6sl7 and JJ el34) but the sound signature has changed quite a bit: the mids are a little more forward and liquid and I tend to listen to a higher volume than I used to with the 600ltd. Actually I've never listened this loud, with any headphones! No brightness or harshness, no listening fatigue. Dynamics are astonishing and so the timbre of violin and female vocals.
post #600 of 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmassy View Post

It's now about a month since I received the Megahertz Guerra amp, and I think it's still getting better day after day. I'm using the stock tubes (some chinese 6sl7 and JJ el34) but the sound signature has changed quite a bit: the mids are a little more forward and liquid and I tend to listen to a higher volume than I used to with the 600ltd. Actually I've never listened this loud, with any headphones! No brightness or harshness, no listening fatigue. Dynamics are astonishing and so the timbre of violin and female vocals.

I've been listening to my BHSE again today with the EL34PH's and also the SED's, and to what I heard, ( again ) the PH's take the BHSE to another level.
I did write on the BHSE thread that I was going to compare both the PH's and SED's a few times, but I won't be using the SED's anymore, unless something happens to the PH's.
With your very nice looking amp part using EL34's Massi, I don't think I need to say what IMO you should get.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › Question about amps for the Stax SR-009