I've been secretly using them for a quite bit since you sent the box to me. Small, convenient, and with good sound.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado Head-Fi Series HF-2 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productGrado HP-1000tagged by System, 9/13/11
- productGrado SR80i Headphonestagged by System, 8/29/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productKoss ESP-950 Electrostatic Stereophonetagged by System, 9/13/11
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 8/16/11
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 8/16/11
- productStax SR-009 Electrostatic Headphonestagged by System, 9/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Comfortable headband for Grado PS1000 Last post on 9/5/11 at 12:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on 4/16/16 at 3:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Summit-Fi headphones? Last post on 8/14/13 at 11:13am in High-end Audio Forum
- ++RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD For High-end Audio (headphone) ++ i.e. Don't start a new thread:... Last post on 9/16/12 at 5:01am in High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
I still have yet to give anything 5 stars. The SR-202, for me, is a solid option for alternatives to the HD700, if you can find them without breaking the bank. I will start with the things I...
Fidue A65 Thanks to tony from hifiheadphones for letting me be part of the UK tour. TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS Drivers: Custom 8mm dynamic driver with Titanium...
Background When was the last time you used a pair of earbuds? Perhaps you use your Apple Earpods at work to remain inconspicuous, or maybe you are one of the many who have purchased the VE...
About Me: I'm just your average guy making his way through college with a passing interest in audio fidelity. I'm NOT an audiophile, but I've got a little experience ranging from lower-end...
Preamble:Pai Audio (http://www.paiaudio.com/indexEn.asp) is a relatively new audio company and based in Shenzhen, China. Established in 2014, they have specialised in manufacturing in-ears....
Headphone CSD waterfall plots - Page 31post #451 of 93711/2/11 at 8:37pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #452 of 93711/4/11 at 8:45amThread Starter
Audio Technica ATH-AD2000
I've heard these a couple of times before and I actually like them for certain special qualities they exhibit. I know people who like them and I know people who hate them. The people who hate them say they have a messed up frequency response and they are right.
These are very open and very fast sounding dynamic headphones. Possibly the fastest dynamics I've heard. Very clean sounding. The AD2000 reminds me of Grado RS1s in that it has a similar midrange. However it does not have that mid-bass bump (nor much bass at all). The treble of the AD2000 is MUCH smoother than the RS1.
If you like the Grado RS1 sound, you are better off buying these and EQ'ing up 100Hz.
There are not FR plots. The waterfall plots below only go down to 200Hz.
A peak at 4kHz that looks very similar to the 5kHz peak of the RS1. Did I say they were very fast and open sounding?
Edited by purrin - 11/4/11 at 8:47ampost #453 of 93711/4/11 at 9:15amThread Starterpost #454 of 93711/4/11 at 9:34amQuote:Originally Posted by purrin
With my measurements - it's mostly the driver or more precisely, the diaphragm and surround material and construction that causes ringing. Voice coil and enclosure design also contribute to this effect. Speaker / headphone drivers are not too different from drums if you think about it - except that ideally they shouldn't continue to vibrate after the electrical signal stops.
I've alway thought that having the voice-coil on the driver as in a orthodynamic could allow for some self-damping of vibrations.
Also, your waterfall plots are great, thanks.post #455 of 93711/4/11 at 3:24pmpost #456 of 93711/4/11 at 4:03pmpost #457 of 93711/4/11 at 4:31pmThread Starter
Just focused on 3k to 20k, instead of the usual 200Hz to 20kHz.
The AD2000 is damn fast and clean with the exception of the resonance near 4kHz.post #458 of 93711/4/11 at 4:41pmQuote:
Actually from looking at it, it seems the floor has been raised in the newer post.
Here's the older one. Easy to see looking at 5-10khz by comparisoon.post #459 of 93711/4/11 at 4:43pmThread Starterpost #460 of 93711/9/11 at 3:19pm
awesome :D but just had a question so due to the anatomy of the ear higher the frequency the more damage it will typically cause, well it will be the first to get damaged seeing that high frequencies are heard at the start of the cochlea, so would that mean that sibilance is louder? Do producers equalize the sound out at that peak? So that being said would a perfectly balanced headphone still be very sibilant? Cause that always confuses me, like what is the deal with that, I always spikes around there, do they put it there on purpose, and why don't the producers fix it?post #461 of 93711/9/11 at 3:25pmThread Starter
Quote:Originally Posted by WakiDabeast
awesome :D but just had a question so due to the anatomy of the ear higher the frequency the more damage it will typically cause, well it will be the first to get damaged seeing that high frequencies are heard at the start of the cochlea, so would that mean that sibilance is louder? Do producers equalize the sound out at that peak? So that being said would a perfectly balanced headphone still be very sibilant? Cause that always confuses me, like what is the deal with that, I always spikes around there, do they put it there on purpose, and why don't the producers fix it?
Sibilance in recordings is wholly separate from resonances (ringing) in headphones. This is why driver ringing between 6-10kHz is really bad - such behavior tends to exacerbate any sibilance already in the recording.
As to why producers (sound engineers) don't fix it? It's because they are lazy or don't care.post #462 of 93711/9/11 at 3:34pm
The overhead graphs make it look like the AD2000 driver is faster than the SR009 despite the much faster decay of the 009. Is that your reading as well? Kind of hard to believe.post #463 of 93711/9/11 at 5:35pmThread StarterQuote:
Bravo! I was wondering if anyone was going to pick that up. Other than the big ridge, it does seem that way don't it?post #464 of 93711/9/11 at 5:48pm
Also, (gasp) the LCD-2 is faster than the SR009. What a strange bunch of graphs. I and it seems most everyone else in the world, always thought that driver speed went in the opposite order- the conventional wisdom is that electrodynamics (thanks Arnaud for the fancy new word) are the slowest, orthos are faster and electrosatics are the fastest.
This adds another layer to the misconceptions we have when trying to perceive driver speed. It seems that not only do most people confuse an FR with elevated treble for speed, but also we confuse fast decay with a fast driver.
Edited by rhythmdevils - 11/9/11 at 7:15pmpost #465 of 93711/9/11 at 6:14pmThread Starter
The decay is only one aspect of "fast". There is also the attack which isn't seen here but rather in the impulse response and square wave
There are also secondary considerations of "fast" that involve how clean the entire spectrum is after the decay. The 009 is the only one of the above that doesn't have a lot of crap. Also subject to interpretation would be what level would be considered audible? The dark blue? The light blue?
I'll pull up the impulse responses of all three.
Edited by purrin - 11/9/11 at 6:15pm
- Headphone CSD waterfall plots
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › The decline of JNCOs 6 seconds ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...New thread. 52 seconds ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's new flagship 2014 - MDR-Z7 2 minutes ago
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player 4 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 5 minutes ago
- › Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread 5 minutes ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 6 minutes ago
- › Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review 7 minutes ago
- › Stax SR-202 by snapacap
- › Fidue A65 - Titanium micro dynamic driver IEM by Deftone
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Zen V2 by Aornic
- › Sennheiser HD 558 by Midgetguy
- › Pai Audio MR4 by HiFiChris
- › Echobox Audio Finder X1 by Hisoundfi
- › Alpha & Delta D2 by Hisoundfi
- › RHA MA750i by Cinder
- › RM-S1 Wired Sport Headset Stereo Headphone Earphone For iPhone 6... by Redcarmoose
- › Westone Um Pro 50 Clear Earbuds by ryanjsoo
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...