In it, I am pondering aloud my next headphone purchase. I've treated myself to a lot of reading about a number of headphones mentioned therein. At this point, the venerable AKG open phones are very much the probable winner. If so, I will likely start a journey into the nuanced assortment of amps that the 70x will be hand-picking for me. But of the 70x series, which phones to get? (Let's assume, because it seems to be true so far, that price difference is considered to be negligible).
I saw in a thread last night that the capsule seems to be the same, for the K702 and the Q701 at least. Cool. FR graphs show up here that suggest the Q701 to have more bass and some change to high treble, which may address the wish list of some K701 owners who report light bass and harsh treble, which, if true, is also cool if it means I won't encounter the characteristics of the K701 that past and present owners have complained about.
The purpose of this thread is to get people in here whose experience can provide some factors in deciding which of the AKG cans I should get. Whether or not you think they're gonna sound like the same headphone, I am hoping for some perspective.
Some things I'd like to read some opinions about:
• Has anyone with a Q701 removed the Q badge on the grill? (I want to.) Does it serve an acoustic/tuning function?
• If I'm gonna go balanced, does the K701 make more sense? I mean, if I have to go 4-pin mini XLR on the K702 or Q701, I've seen it here and I'm not afraid, but the K701 has a four-wire cable to start with, right? Should it matter to me? Modularity for different terminations is nice, right?
• If balanced termination is not a factor, why NOT the Q701?
• Anyone out there think "It doesn't matter, just grab one and stick with it because they're all the same"? If that's you, hopefully it's because you own one of these things?
• Here's one I tried searching for: does the included mini-XLR cable on K702 or Q701 come apart? i.e. can I do an upgrade recable using the existing plug?
• Someone had rather casually mentioned that perhaps any sonic difference in the Q701 may be due to factory burn-in. Confirmed? Refuted? Does the Q701 settle in at 300 hours like its predecessors have been reported to do?
• Any other great wisdom to make this decision easier?
• edit: Do they all come with the cool little display cradle?
Edited by Lurkumaural - 7/26/11 at 2:19pm