or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added) - Page 789

post #11821 of 37467
Are you getting both the E9K & E17? You can run the E9K off integrated motherboard audio (yuck) or a PC sound card if you already have one, some sound cards are actually pretty decent DACs so that's an alternative to the E17...

If you want a portable DAC/amp for laptop use or whatever then the E17 is a nice choice and it pairs nicely with the E9K, but if the E17's portable amp or extra inputs aren't a factor then I think you can get a comparable DAC for much less, or a better desktop one for about the same (either paired with the E9K amp).

Or you could just opt for the E17 by itself, no clue how capable it is with AKGs tho.
Edited by Impulse - 2/19/13 at 4:29am
post #11822 of 37467
Thread Starter 
The good thing about the E17 is that it has optical/coaxial input. Most DACs in the price range are only USB. If you don't mind USB only, I'd suggest skipping the E17 and getting the ODAC. That is one hell of a DAC. The E17 is versatile as for the same price as the ODAC, you get a good dac, as well as a good portable amp. If you don't see yourself needing a portable amp on top of a desktop amp, I suggest the ODAC over the E17, easily.
post #11823 of 37467
Fiio prices have been creeping up, unless Amazon prices are just inflated.

For the combined price of the E17/E9K you can almost get something like a Leckerton UHA-6S... Just as portable as the E17, also has optical in (IIRC), much better DAC, nice volume knob, possibly not quite as potent an amp as the E9 but more capable than the E17, dunno... Really depends on what you need.

If portability isn't a big factor there's definitely better DACs for the money, tho as MLE said, the E17 doubles as a decent amp in it's own right. There's definitely better DACs for similar or less $ tho (ODAC, Modi, Xonar cards, etc.).

Edit: Fixed, thanks MLE.
Edited by Impulse - 2/19/13 at 4:49am
post #11824 of 37467
Thread Starter 
Modi, not Magni. wink.gif

Time to pack up the LCD-2 to ship out to the next person. Our time was short, but the memory of the sweet, sweet music you sang gently into my ears will never be forgotten! frown.gif
post #11825 of 37467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post

Fiio prices have been creeping up, unless Amazon prices are just inflated.

For the combined price of the E17/E9K you can almost get something like a Leckerton UHA-6S... Just as portable as the E17, also has optical in (IIRC), much better DAC, nice volume knob, possibly not quite as potent an amp as the E9 but more capable than the E17, dunno... Really depends on what you need.

If portability isn't a big factor there's definitely better DACs for the money, tho as MLE said, the E17 doubles as a decent amp in it's own right. There's definitely better DACs for similar or less $ tho (ODAC, Magni, Xonar cards, etc.).

 

Also keep in mind that the E18 will come out eventually. Not that it means very much because there isn't a lot of information on it, or even an approximate release date that I can find, but its something to think about if you aren't looking to buy at this exact moment.

post #11826 of 37467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

Modi, not Magni. wink.gif

Time to pack up the LCD-2 to ship out to the next person. Our time was short, but the memory of the sweet, sweet music you sang gently into my ears will never be forgotten! frown.gif

 

frown.gif Never enough time when its borrowed. 

 

Looking forward to trying a pair for myself soon to compare against the Mad Dogs. I know the LCD-2 will best the MDs, but I'd like to see how much value I really got from my purchase.

post #11827 of 37467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

I actually had the MD in the shopping cart. VERY close to submitting that payment. But I know that money is better saved up for a Denon D7000 or X1. I already have a very linear headphone in the Annie. Don't need another one.

Hmm, I wonder if i I'd end up feeling similarly about them and my DT 880... I don't think the MD are bright at all tho, and should have a little bass emphasis, so it should be kind of the opposite even if they're both relatively neutral compared to a DT 990 or what have you...

Philips/Funai seriously don't wanna sell any X1's huh, where the heck are they? How long have they been available in Europe now? Sigh... I keep checking Inner Fidelity's measurements page every few days hoping Tyll's added them in stealth. tongue.gif
post #11828 of 37467
Thread Starter 
Keep us updated. I heard the MDs sound very much like the LCD2, and if that's true... I might have to spring for some.

It's funny though, I let my one of my best friends listen to both the Annie and LCD2 for a few hours. Without telling him how much the LCD2 cost, or anything about them, I asked them which he preferred. He told me he'd take the Annie every single time. He felt the LCD2 sounded too closed in and too thick. He told me he liked the clarity and openness of the Annie, and it sounded more realistic and nautral to him.

This is coming from someone who knows next to nothing about headphones (he owns the KSC35 and Audio Technica ES7 based on my recommendations). He was able to identify the most well known LCD2 weaknesses like a damn pro. I was like 'LOLWUT?'. I told him they cost near $1000, and he was like, it's extremely overpriced considering how amazing the Annie sounded next to them. I won't argue with him, as there is clearly many things the Annie does better. Bass and mid intimacy belong to the LCD2, but the Annie does both of these things well to begin with.

So the LCD2 is definitely not for everyone. He was mostly surpised by how much the LCD2 leaks compared to the Annie, while still sounding closed in. He truly surprised me with these impressions, as I would have never thought a rookie would understand such things.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - 2/19/13 at 4:57am
post #11829 of 37467
Hah, your friend knows what he likes, and he got to try out two very different specimens... So he's pretty much better off already than half the posters on Head Fi. tongue.gif
post #11830 of 37467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post

Fiio prices have been creeping up, unless Amazon prices are just inflated.

For the combined price of the E17/E9K you can almost get something like a Leckerton UHA-6S... Just as portable as the E17, also has optical in (IIRC), much better DAC, nice volume knob, possibly not quite as potent an amp as the E9 but more capable than the E17, dunno... Really depends on what you need.

If portability isn't a big factor there's definitely better DACs for the money, tho as MLE said, the E17 doubles as a decent amp in it's own right. There's definitely better DACs for similar or less $ tho (ODAC, Modi, Xonar cards, etc.).

Edit: Fixed, thanks MLE.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy View Post

The good thing about the E17 is that it has optical/coaxial input. Most DACs in the price range are only USB. If you don't mind USB only, I'd suggest skipping the E17 and getting the ODAC. That is one hell of a DAC. The E17 is versatile as for the same price as the ODAC, you get a good dac, as well as a good portable amp. If you don't see yourself needing a portable amp on top of a desktop amp, I suggest the ODAC over the E17, easily.

 

Portability actually isn't a big factor. I thought it would be a nice option to have... but now that I think about it, 99% of the time I will be using the headphones with my Xbox (with the Mixamp Pro) or PC.

 

So if portability isn't needed, what amp/DAC would you guys suggest for my purposes and would drive the Annies nicely?  Both my Xbox and PC are pretty much beside each other and I have a desktop setup..


Edited by pervysage - 2/19/13 at 6:19am
post #11831 of 37467

I would still like to hear the LCD2 or 3, but the MDs have pretty much put that need from a I NEED LCD2s to eh if I hear them I hear them. 

 

Next on my list is a T1. That is one headphone that the NEED to hear is still very high. 

 

If I was to find a AD900x for a good price I would consider that as well, just to hear the AT house sound. It seems to be the sweet spot in this new generation. The 700x isn't as detailed/revealing and the price isn't that much cheaper, and the 1000x/2000x are a totally different breed of headphone.

 

With my comfort issues with so many headphones I have lost interest in the X1 as well. I just don't know if it would fit my head without bothering me in some way.

 

Impluse I am hoping to get a break at work today so I can pm you. 

post #11832 of 37467
Quote:
Originally Posted by pervysage View Post


Portability actually isn't a big factor. I thought it would be a nice option to have... but now that I think about it, 99% of the time I will be using the headphones with my Xbox (with the Mixamp Pro) or PC.

So if portability isn't needed, what amp/DAC would you guys suggest for my purposes and would drive the Annies nicely?  Both my Xbox and PC are pretty much beside each other and I have a desktop setup..

The Modi/Magni stack is cheaper than the E17+E9K and the Magni's a bit more capable or versatile as an amp (lower output impedance etc.). They're more focused/streamlined and less feature laden, you're paying strictly for the core DAC/amp functionality without bass boost options, portability, extra inputs, etc.

What's your budget? There's the ODAC/O2 too, slightly more expensive, not sure how the ODAC compares to the Modi... If you're trying to keep costs down I think you could easily opt for a $50 Xonar DG/DGX card and pair it with a Magni or O2 without missing much. (which would also get you Dolby Headphone for PC games)

In a pinch I believe you could even run the Mixamp as a DAC off the PC, tho it's far from the best solution. I believe the O2 has all the connections in the front so it might be friendlier if you're often gonna be switching the amp around from the Mixamp to the PC (whether to a DAC or internal card) and vice versa, the Fiio units would also give you more inputs.
Edited by Impulse - 2/19/13 at 7:35am
post #11833 of 37467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailin View Post

With my comfort issues with so many headphones I have lost interest in the X1 as well. I just don't know if it would fit my head without bothering me in some way.

Impluse I am hoping to get a break at work today so I can pm you. 

Cool man, no hurry, I appreciate it.

All the talk of QC issues and variance kinda scared me off Beyer's new lineup... I think a lot of people are curious about the X1 tho, it just looks so freaking nice and well built (non removable pads aside), what's the hold up Philips?!

Mad Dogs look like some sorta tank commander / Mad Max headset... But at least it sounds like they're very comfortable!
post #11834 of 37467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse View Post


The Modi/Magni stack is cheaper than the E17+E9K and the Magni's a bit more capable or versatile as an amp (lower output impedance etc.). They're more focused/streamlined and less feature laden, you're paying strictly for the core DAC/amp functionality without bass boost options, portability, extra inputs, etc.

What's your budget? There's the ODAC/O2 too, slightly more expensive, not sure how the ODAC compares to the Modi... If you're trying to keep costs down I think you could easily opt for a $50 Xonar DG/DGX card and pair it with a Magni or O2 without missing much. (which would also get you Dolby Headphone for PC games)

In a pinch I believe you could even run the Mixamp as a DAC off the PC, tho it's far from the best solution. I believe the O2 has all the connections in the front so it might be friendlier if you're often gonna be switching the amp around from the Mixamp to the PC (whether to a DAC or internal card) and vice versa, the Fiio units would also give you more inputs.

 

So I see that there is the mini-USB connector on the back of the ODAC/02 combo and then a Line In on the front of it. So that means I'll be able to have the PC connected via the USB, and the Mixamp connected to the Line In?

 

Or would I be unplugging things every time I wanted to switch between PC use and console gaming with the Mixamp?

post #11835 of 37467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckc4043 View Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000CMS0XU/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

 

 

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Audiophile Headphones

 

Good condition to like new condition $60.55-$64

 

 

In case anyone didn't see this in the deals thread. There are still quite a few left.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games Discussion
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Video Games Discussion › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers Ether C 1.1 Added)