or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 188

post #2806 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post




so much more bass on my senn IE7 ...
you can compare with the senn IE8, they don't have the FR  for the IE7:

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=603&graphID[]=3101

 



 

 

MY deity do you even hear the Mids? Those look muddy. 

post #2807 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post



 

 

MY deity do you even hear the Mids? Those look muddy. 



How does a graph make a headphone look muddy? I mean, isn't that impossible without actually listening to it?

Isn't that like saying..."Wow, that headphone looks too thin and analytical" after reading a graph.

I guess I see what you mean, but still..

 

I don't know why, but it seems like too many people lately are being too trust worthy of graphs to decide what they might sound like.

 

Just look at the DT-880 and HD-600 graphs. I believe they have similar graphs but sound like complete opposites.

 

 

post #2808 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post



How does a graph make a headphone look muddy? I mean, isn't that impossible without actually listening to it?

Isn't that like saying..."Wow, that headphone looks too thin and analytical" after reading a graph.

I guess I see what you mean, but still..

 

I don't know why, but it seems like too many people lately are being too trust worthy of graphs to decide what they might sound like.

 

Just look at the DT-880 and HD-600 graphs. I believe they have similar graphs but sound like complete opposites.

 

 



The bass on that graph is similar to the bass on my shure se215 and i will tell you i feel i am missing most of the music.

post #2809 of 3844

just read this review http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-srh-940/reviews/5994

if i should wear the headphones like that to eliminate the harshness, sounds like a failed product to me..

post #2810 of 3844

redwarrior191

 

Just go to a store and try them, they are one of the best headphones I've heard.

post #2811 of 3844


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcasey25raptor View Post



 

 

MY deity do you even hear the Mids? Those look muddy. 

Well, I'm doing lot of eq-ing on my cowon s9, and one one the the things I do is decrease a lot the bass (though I increase the BBE Mach3Bass setting, for better slam).
When I see all the praise that the senn IE7/IE8 have, I'm wondering sometimes if they are not over-hyped.
I prefer the sound of my cheaper akg k317 (for mids & treble) , which tells a lot to me.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwarrior191 View Post

just read this review http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-srh-940/reviews/5994

if i should wear the headphones like that to eliminate the harshness, sounds like a failed product to me..

Just let's say that your YMMV. Some people just like bcasey, seem to find them fine just as it is.
Some people like Tyll just hate them. Anyway,  if ever you find the srh940 fatiguing or unnatural, you have an easy  solution to try before dismissing them.

 

 

 

 

post #2812 of 3844

I  noticed that the seller headphonic is recommending now the srh940.

 

Quote:
The Shure SRH940 is an excellent studio headphone offering a well balanced and not overly analytical, but still detailed sound. Bass response is solid, goes deep and has excellent texture and control, midrange is smooth and detailed and treble is crisp but not sharp sounding. In other words - if you want a well balanced closed headphone the SRH940 are worth checking out.

http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=551

 

 

post #2813 of 3844

Once again I'm realizing the SRH940 is an amazing headphone. I can't tell until I have more time to compare, but I'm finding the DT880/600 to be inferior in treble to the HD650, which I find inferior in treble to the SRH940.

 

I think the SRH940 beats the DT880 across the entire frequency spectrum.

 

I think there are two sides to the SRH940 hype currently. There is the (single) person claiming they compare to an HD800, and a ton of people saying the SRH940 sound amazing above their price point. The SRH940 by no means compares to an HD800, not even close (although I haven't listened extensively). But to be fair, IMO, they are way better than DT880s and HD650s in upper mids, treble, and overall detail.

 

My problem now is that my SRH940s being too small for my head... well... there's nothing I can do about that :(

post #2814 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac500 View Post

Once again I'm realizing the SRH940 is an amazing headphone. I can't tell until I have more time to compare, but I'm finding the DT880/600 to be inferior in treble to the HD650, which I find inferior in treble to the SRH940.

 

I think the SRH940 beats the DT880 across the entire frequency spectrum.


The DT880/600ohm has to be the most overrated headphone there is. The treble is nothing short of nasty and abusive.

 

As I iterated earlier, I find the SRH940 treble to be warm, clear and detailed at the same time. Hard to pull off.

 

My only problem is that this great sound is only temporary, I only want it for a limited period, for some reason. Then I want to try something else. But I know that the 940 is correct.

 


Edited by Beagle - 12/19/11 at 4:42pm
post #2815 of 3844

I wonder then, to ask the trebleheads here, what is better or equal to the SRH940 treble in an open headphone? I've asked this before and people only suggested the DT880.

 

Honestly it seems the only thing better than the SRH940 is the HD800, which is presently out of my pricerange. Fortunately the HD800 IS most certainly comfortable, whereas I find both the SRH940 and DT880 too small for my head.

 

Honestly I'm a bit astonished how "meh" I'm finding the DT880 across the spectrum. I thought the HD650 had congested highs compared to the SRH940 (which they do slightly), but the DT880 makes the HD650 look brilliant all-around in comparison.

post #2816 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

As I iterated earlier, I find the SRH940 treble to be warm, clear and detailed at the same time. Hard to pull off.

What is a warm treble , I'm not sure I  understand ? biggrin.gif
 

Quote:
My only problem is that this great sound is only temporary, I only want it for a limited period, for some reason.

Fatigue ? Unnatural ? Or you just get used to a sound that  fail to impress after some times ?

post #2817 of 3844

@ac500 I have a feeling you like coloured cans. smile.gif

 

post #2818 of 3844

EQing the DT880 with a bass boost / treble reduction to make it sound like HD650s changes nothing of my observations.

 

It only might be burn-in, so I'll play music all night and see how it sounds later.

post #2819 of 3844

i also wanted it for a short period though it sounds terrific...

maybe its the FORM factor, still too plasticky for me...

i just wished it looked MORE SEXY.

 

post #2820 of 3844

You should probably return the DT880 soon before it's too late.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread