or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread - Page 108

post #1606 of 3844
Here's what I heard on the Franz Ferdinand track -

In the beginning of the song, with the particularly heavy drum and cymbals.. I felt like his voice was being over-powered by the cymbals.. as they sounded front-and-center of the presentation.

When plugged into amp, the his voice seemed more on equal footing with the cymbals..

I'm not intimately familiar with that song.. and my ears are still learning.. (or rather I'm still learning to interpret what I hear.).. but it sounded more balanced when plugged into an amp... if that makes sense.

I listened in FLAC using the Vox application with no EQ applied, fyi..
Edited by Robobandit - 9/17/11 at 3:36am
post #1607 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobandit View Post

I did feel that the SRH840s were warmer and more lively without amplification..

However, since I connected my 940s to my E7/E9 DAC/amp combo, they sound better than they did without.
 


Does the E9 makes a difference or is the E7 enough ? I'm considering to get a E7 only because of it's portability,  but I hope it's not too much a downgrade compared to a Xonar STX.

 

Also to everyone enjoying a lot their SRH940, I  think they should provide precision about their source, since I  think it's the fundamental problem.

 

I  personally don't think they would be worth their price, when running directly from an ipod.  These are headphone that show lot of refinement, and you miss that if you are running them from the wrong source.

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #1608 of 3844

Try getting the d3. What a great cheap DAC! It will warm up the 940s better than the e7 into the e9. So far as the e7 alone for the 940s, don't bother. I didn't like the e7/shure srh 940 pairing. If you use the e7 as an amp only unit though, it may work since the e7s amp is on the dark side. I didn't get to try that though.

post #1609 of 3844

I'm running my 940s through a JDSLabs Cmoy and sound reproduction changed for the better. This Cmoy is just a bit warm, the 940s really shine with this cheap amp!

 

Recommended!!

post #1610 of 3844

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnjupiter View Post




 

Thanks for helping me discover some new music. That's what is important: the music.

 

I agree with your comments. After listening to the 940s for some weeks I have realised that I had been listening to bad reproduction of bass all my life. The definition I get from the Shures is exceptional. These are source sensitive phones, and the sound will reflect the quality of the recording. 

 

I do not think these are very different from the HD 800, except for soundstage. I preferred these to the HD650, though those sound warmer. I heard some reverb with the HD 650. All listened to off a Schitt Valhalla. I listen to almost everything, with emphasis on Blues and Jazz of all kinds.

 

 

Sterile? NEVER!!

Truthful? Yes.

Enjoyable? Very. 

 

 


No problem and you just said it, the music is what's important!

If you enjoy the music on x or y headphones, then your search is MOSTLY over (as I recently discovered, it seems

it's never over though! ;-)).

 

 

post #1611 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshoe99 View Post


 No facts equals no opinion, sir.


You, sir, are an epic troll. Congrats on your accomplishment.

post #1612 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens View Post





You, sir, are an epic troll. Congrats on your accomplishment.

This "Epic Troll" as you so carelessly state, Tyll, is the only person here who downloaded a track to make an actual comparison test with, which I reported. You are good at personal attacks like this, but not so good at headphone evaluation, calling the excellent 940 "poor". If it weren't for the very intelligent intervention of Malveaux, your type of thinking might rule this topic, but better minds got the upper hand. It will be a sad day when you can toss out Troll and "poor" comments unchallenged, perhaps then nobody will be reading anymore.

Edit: I wanted to note that having advocated the 940 so much, there was probably an expectation that I would fib and report the 940 as equal to the 800 on the music track I tested in a previous post. But I gave the edge to the HD800 because it sounded better with that example. I'm still hoping for some examples to compare bass, but not as hopeful of finding clearly audible differences in the lower ranges.
Edited by oldshoe99 - 9/17/11 at 9:29am
post #1613 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post




Does the E9 makes a difference or is the E7 enough ? I'm considering to get a E7 only because of it's portability,  but I hope it's not too much a downgrade compared to a Xonar STX.

 

Also to everyone enjoying a lot their SRH940, I  think they should provide precision about their source, since I  think it's the fundamental problem.

 

I  personally don't think they would be worth their price, when running directly from an ipod.  These are headphone that show lot of refinement, and you miss that if you are running them from the wrong source.

 

 

 

 

 

 


I'm only using the E7 as a DAC when I listen at my computer.. It's the E9 doing the amping, as I have the E7 docked into the E9.

My source is either my PC or my macbook pro.. the E9 is plugged in to my apple cinema display usb port (it has 3 powered usb ports).. all of my music is either FLAC, WMA lossless or Apple Lossless smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by Robobandit - 9/17/11 at 9:07am
post #1614 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by donunus View Post

Try getting the d3. What a great cheap DAC! It will warm up the 940s better than the e7 into the e9. So far as the e7 alone for the 940s, don't bother. I didn't like the e7/shure srh 940 pairing. If you use the e7 as an amp only unit though, it may work since the e7s amp is on the dark side. I didn't get to try that though.


The fiio D3 ? Seems quite cheap , thanks.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobandit View Post



I'm only using the E7 as a DAC when I listen at my computer.. It's the E9 doing the amping, as I have the E7 docked into the E9.
 

Yes, what happens if you get rid of E9, and use the E7 as a DAC and amp at same time. Is there an improvement from using the E9 amping, instead of the E7 amping.

 

post #1615 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshoe99View Post


This "Epic Troll" as you so carelessly state, Tyll, is the only person here who downloaded a track to make an actual comparison test with, which I reported. You are good at personal attacks like this, but not so good at headphone evaluation, calling the excellent 940 "poor". If it weren't for the very intelligent intervention of Malveaux, your type of thinking might rule this topic, but better minds got the upper hand. It will be a sad day when you can toss out Troll and "poor" comments unchallenged, perhaps then nobody will be reading anymore.

Edit: I wanted to note that having advocated the 940 so much, there was probably an expectation that I would fib and report the 940 as equal to the 800 on the music track I tested in a previous post. But I gave the edge to the HD800 because it sounded better with that example. I'm still hoping for some examples to compare bass, but not as hopeful of finding clearly audible differences in the lower ranges.


You really should quit while you're ahead...Tyll is one of the most respected members here (and in this hobby in general). His contributions are virtually un-paralleled...period. You've been here not even a month and your comments about Tyll are certainly not taken seriously by anyone. We would all take Tyll's review a lot more seriously than your constant persistence that the SRH940s are an "excellent" headphone. They are not in my opinion too. No matter how often you repeat this, you cannot change how I hear it. They are too bass lite to be considered neutral...even the K701s offered more bass (and I thought they were bass lite). Again...my opinion and thankfully for living in a free country, I can say them, no matter who may disagree.

 

As baka1969 pointed out, some think the HD800s can be a bit too bass lite...I am NOT one of those people.Next to the SRH940s, the HD800s are bass monsters. tongue.gif

 

Rant over. Sheesh.

 

 

 

post #1616 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post




You really should quit while you're ahead...Tyll is one of the most respected members here (and in this hobby in general). His contributions are virtually un-paralleled...period. You've been here not even a month and your comments about Tyll are certainly not taken seriously by anyone. We would all take Tyll's review a lot more seriously than your constant persistence that the SRH940s are an "excellent" headphone. They are not in my opinion too. No matter how often you repeat this, you cannot change how I hear it. They are too bass lite to be considered neutral...even the K701s offered more bass (and I thought they were bass lite). Again...my opinion and thankfully for living in a free country, I can say them, no matter who may disagree.

 

As baka1969 pointed out, some think the HD800s can be a bit too bass lite...I am NOT one of those people.Next to the SRH940s, the HD800s are bass monsters. tongue.gif

 

Rant over. Sheesh.

 

 

 

Go to your library, get a book on logic, and check the Argument based on authority, and see what's wrong with your argument. I have much more experience in high fidelity than Tyll - even more experience with Stereophile. Tyll's absurd comment about the 940 damages his reputation, not mine.

Edit: BTW, your refusal to provide an example of a bass test reflects on your reputation as well. What are you so afraid of? The other guy who provided the clapping test won a point for the HD800, but you seem frightened of losing your point.
Edited by oldshoe99 - 9/17/11 at 12:17pm
post #1617 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshoe99 View Post


Go to your library, get a book on logic, and check the Argument based on authority, and see what's wrong with your argument. I have much more experience in high fidelity than Tyll - even more experience with Stereophile. Tyll's absurd comment about the 940 damages his reputation, not mine.


LoL..wow. Thanks for the laugh. Your comments pretty much show what you're about.

 

Example of bass...here's one....SRH-940s on a Peachtree Nova treble happy and bass shy...far from neutral. HD800s (I actually own them wink.gif) great depth, control and definition. My experiences with the SRH940s were with a Diana Krall ablum (Quiet Nights) that I am very familiar with...and I literally had to struggle to hear the stand-up bass. There was no foundation in the lower frequencies to layer the mids and treble on to.

 

Or maybe this:

 

HD800s: Have a look at the bass...quite flat down to 20Hz. The 30Hz square wave response looks like well a square wave:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf

 

SRH940s: Bass starts to dive around 150Hz eek.gif....30Hz square wave response...doesn't look anywhere as good.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH940.pdf

 

See, I'm a professional engineer and that's how we roll....first hand experiences and actual measurements. Not following your "logic" though...sorry.

 

 


Edited by MacedonianHero - 9/17/11 at 12:39pm
post #1618 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldshoe99 View Post


Go to your library, get a book on logic, and check the Argument based on authority, and see what's wrong with your argument. I have much more experience in high fidelity than Tyll - even more experience with Stereophile. Tyll's absurd comment about the 940 damages his reputation, not mine.

Edit: BTW, your refusal to provide an example of a bass test reflects on your reputation as well. What are you so afraid of? The other guy who provided the clapping test won a point for the HD800, but you seem frightened of losing your point.


eek.gifblink.gifconfused_face%281%29.gif  I never thought I would feel embarrassed for someone elses comments.....


Edited by Ouspensky - 9/17/11 at 12:26pm
post #1619 of 3844

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobandit View Post

Here's what I heard on the Franz Ferdinand track -

In the beginning of the song, with the particularly heavy drum and cymbals.. I felt like his voice was being over-powered by the cymbals.. as they sounded front-and-center of the presentation.

When plugged into amp, the his voice seemed more on equal footing with the cymbals..

I'm not intimately familiar with that song.. and my ears are still learning.. (or rather I'm still learning to interpret what I hear.).. but it sounded more balanced when plugged into an amp... if that makes sense.

I listened in FLAC using the Vox application with no EQ applied, fyi..

 

EDIT: Oops, the multi-quote button didn't work for me. So it sounds like the amp does help a little bit; I agree with the cymbals over-shadowing the voice without the amp. I'm using VLC to play my FLAC files without an EQ. I just downloaded Vox and I'm going to explore its settings as it seems to offer more effects to music tracks than VLC.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelocks View Post

I'm running my 940s through a JDSLabs Cmoy and sound reproduction changed for the better. This Cmoy is just a bit warm, the 940s really shine with this cheap amp!

 

Recommended!!


Ah sweet, sounds promising. I'm going to be building my first Tangentsoft CMoy in the upcoming week, I hope it turns out all right, hahahahaha.

 


Edited by miceblue - 9/17/11 at 1:00pm
post #1620 of 3844
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrabigmehdi View Post




The fiio D3 ? Seems quite cheap , thanks.
 

Yes, what happens if you get rid of E9, and use the E7 as a DAC and amp at same time. Is there an improvement from using the E9 amping, instead of the E7 amping.

 


I haven't tried it that way.. I suppose I could. I just set it up this way as I intended to leave the e9 at my desk.. and I was not planning on going anywhere with the 940s.. but if I wanted to, I could pull the E7 out and carry it with me.


edit - Initial observation is that the bass presence is a bit more.. authoritative when using the E9 as the amp than the E7. I'm not sure if it is better than the E7 with a bass boost or not, though.. I haven't gotten into EQing things yet
Edited by Robobandit - 9/17/11 at 12:35pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread