Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2 - Page 7

post #91 of 7748

gogogasgas was the first one to state that lcd-2 should not be paired with a warm sound dac or amp. too bad i just got an audio-gd reference8

post #92 of 7748

Solude- Rudistor: As you said, the Rudistors carry a premium price tag. Colouration to that degree, and transformer hum, is really quite unacceptable. There were other quality issues? Perhaps manufacturing quality control is not as it should be in Italy. Thanks for the tip. Perhaps it's why they discontinued that model.

 

The figures you quote for the solid state amp> do they belong to the GS-X? That's an opamp design?

post #93 of 7748

 

 

Quote:
gogogasgas was the first one to state that lcd-2 should not be paired with a warm sound dac or amp. too bad i just got an audio-gd reference 8.

Well, the LCD-2 "should not" be paired with a warm DAC/amp if you are striving for neutrality. 

post #94 of 7748

Reminds me, I'll need to see if I can't borrow a Luxman P-1 again to try them with.

post #95 of 7748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currawong View Post

Reminds me, I'll need to see if I can't borrow a Luxman P-1 again to try them with.


Yes, please! That's a combo that could work. On an HD800 thread, a poster mentioned a Japanese review of the P-1u with the HD800s. The reviewer gave the combo the thumbs down. Perhaps the P-1u would sing with the LCD-2s?

post #96 of 7748

No no the specs are for the Rudi NX-03.  Won't even hurt your head with the other SS numbers on the site.  Don't want to revive the war from 04 between Rudi and Gilmore but yes the PCB quality is not great.  Though supposedly normal the amp was also a good alternative to acid for erasing finger prints or melting down solder 

 

The model wasn't stopped, it was upgraded now sold as a quad tube model RP-8 for $1700.

post #97 of 7748
Thread Starter 

How warm is the LCD-2 relative to other headphones? See my sig for references that makes sense to me.

post #98 of 7748
Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post

How warm is the LCD-2 relative to other headphones? See my sig for references that makes sense to me.


Some might call them "warm" but think it is more accurate to refer to them as full, whole bodied, detailed, rich, nuanced...  They're all those things rolled into one.  The treble, while being very detailed, has no "spikes" to it unlike the HD-800 and the T1.  The bass is much fuller, more impactful, and goes deeper than either of the two aforementioned headphones, yet without any hint of intrusion into the glorious mids.  

 

This is a very "organic" sounding headphone, as opposed to a clinical, sterile, or dark sounding one. It's sound strikes as effortless, and completely unstrained.

 

Spotlessly "clean" is another term that comes to mind.  The Pro-900s lack the cleanness of the ED8.  The ED8 lacks the cleanness of the LCD-2.  The LCD-2 goes much deeper than either of the Ultrasones, yet the midrange and high end are spotless and pristine.  The Ultrasones, are "punchier."  The sonics of the LCD-2 are completely integrated from top to bottom.

post #99 of 7748
Thread Starter 

 I have read all about the LCD-2 in the last couple of onths so wasn´t looking for such a thorough reply. Thanks anyway :). I more wanted to get an idea of where the "average" tone would be. Similar to the T1 (warmer/colder), ED 8 (warmer/colder etc on the same system.

post #100 of 7748
Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post

 I have read all about the LCD-2 in the last couple of onths so wasn´t looking for such a thorough reply. Thanks anyway :). I more wanted to get an idea of where the "average" tone would be. Similar to the T1 (warmer/colder), ED 8 (warmer/colder etc on the same system.

Did my reply satisfy your question?
 

post #101 of 7748
Thread Starter 

Not sure. Maybe but I didn´t understand it. Would you say it´s overall brighter then the Pro 900 and ED 8. You have heard them on the same source/amp?  Maybe it´s easier if I say if they have more or less "body" then both.

 

post #102 of 7748

Smoother across the board than the Ed 8 - they have an upper bass peak and a bit of a treble peak that the LCD-2 do not have.

post #103 of 7748
Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post

Not sure. Maybe but I didn´t understand it. Would you say it´s overall brighter then the Pro 900 and ED 8. You have heard them on the same source/amp?  Maybe it´s easier if I say if they have more or less "body" then both.

 


It's not "brighter" than either of the Ultrasones, but it's far more detailed and clear.  The LCD-2 is much "faster" (sorry Sky) than either of the Ultrasones.  Does that make sense?  I think it will, once you hear them.  It easily has as much body than either of the Ultrasones, but again, that body is much better and more organically and tightly integrated with the rest of the sonic profile than it is with the Ultrasones.

post #104 of 7748
Thread Starter 

Gah you are reviewing it. It´s not what I am after.

 

I don´t care about speed, extension, finess or neutralness. On my headphones I can say the DX 1000 is the warmest followed by Fostex T50RP, Kees Modded Pro 900/ED 8 then T1 and then SA5000 is the brightest

It differ a lot between the DX 1000 and the T1/SA5000.

If we ignore detail retrieval, soundstage size and all that where do  the LCD-2 slot in here when dumb listening?.

post #105 of 7748
Quote:
Originally Posted by oqvist View Post

Gah you are reviewing it. It´s not what I am after.

 

I don´t care about speed, extension, finess or neutralness. On my headphones I can say the DX 1000 is the warmest followed by Fostex T50RP, Kees Modded Pro 900/ED 8 then T1 and then SA5000 is the brightest

It differ a lot between the DX 1000 and the T1/SA5000.

If we ignore detail retrieval, soundstage size and all that where do  the LCD-2 slot in here when dumb listening?.

Gah back at ya!    These things aren't like anything else you have.  You need to hear them for yourself.
Sky, you want to take another crack at it?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2