New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Grade Fuses - Page 12

post #166 of 277

Well, I found some Isocleans on sale, so I'm going to try one in my amp and see.  Oh, and for those saying you should rewire your house, etc. etc...you can start here, with this:

 

http://www.aaudioimports.com/ShowProduct.asp?hProduct=64

 

Isoclean%20Zero%20Ohm%20Sub%20Panel,%20image%201_1.jpg

post #167 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Monkey View Post

Well, I found some Isocleans on sale, so I'm going to try one in my amp and see.  Oh, and for those saying you should rewire your house, etc. etc...you can start here, with this:

 

http://www.aaudioimports.com/ShowProduct.asp?hProduct=64

 

Isoclean%20Zero%20Ohm%20Sub%20Panel,%20image%201_1.jpg



Great looking but rediculously priced.

post #168 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolov91 View Post




What blows my mind is people go to all this effort without using audiophile air.

 

Air is the most important part of the chaine, because without it, there is no music. So, why people play music on the stagnant air in their home, instead of premium fresh air from the tops of famous mountains, like Everest etc is beyond me.

 

Sure cables make a night and day difference, but only if you have audiophile air to hear them.


good point. you might want to seek cold air to, as sound does travel faster as temperatures lower (if you want to increase the speed of course)

post #169 of 277

So, assuming I have the ears of a Golden God, what exactly am I supposed to be hearing with an Isoclean in my Woo 3+ that I didn't with the base fuse?  There's no way to do a strict A/B comparison, and I'm not sure what's different...I can't say there is or isn't a difference, other than in a cumulative sense in my whole system. 

 

Sure, as things sound now, the sonic presentation is much better than my DVD player feeding the Woo, but then a couple Gs in audio stuff ought to improve everything, lol.  It's like going from my stock HD650 cable to the top of the line APS v3 with all the bells and whistles...yes, it feels nicer, and looks cooler, but does the improvement merit the price over and above any other after-market cable?...debatable.

 

At this point, the few things that yielded major improvemnents overall (outside of amp and headphones) were the Black Gate caps in the Woo (detail, presentation, clarity and separation) and the OMZ DAC (detail, naturalness, musicality, and smooth presentation).  Everything else on its own hasn't come close to justifying the expense, lol.  A $30-40 fuse isn't much in the grand scheme of things, but is it worth it in comparison to the stock one?  Again, debatable. 

 

Admittedly, I wasn't expecting any earth-shattering difference, and I'm sure there IS a certain quality that's different, I just can't put my finger on it.  I definitely don't see myself entering the world of "fuse rolling" anytime soon.  It's much more fun and rewarding to roll tubes and debate the merits of a Siemens CCa vs. an Amperex 6922...

post #170 of 277

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey View Post

So, assuming I have the ears of a Golden God, what exactly am I supposed to be hearing with an Isoclean in my Woo 3+ that I didn't with the base fuse?

 

 

Do you have anything that kicks off EMI/RFI handy?  Something with an AC motor, dimmer switch, fluorescent light, etc.  If I had something that was supposed to "clean up" the power, I'd key up a ham radio transmitter and deliberately put some RFI on the line.

 

I'd want to see if the fuse (or power cord, etc.) let intentionally noisy power through.  If the Isoclean supposedly cleans power, then give it some dirty power and see what happens.

 

Even if a 'scope doesn't measure "everything" that a tweak allegedly does, you could still measure enough noise on the line to demonstrate that the noise exists.


Edited by Uncle Erik - 10/30/10 at 2:00am
post #171 of 277

That's a good thought...I'll have to try something.  The whole rig is on a Furman power conditioner. but the wiring in the rest of the house is old (1950's), and there's plenty of 60hz hum (not on the equipment though, I'm speaking in general...).  I don't hear any noise from the PC or its battery backup, even though they share an outlet (that particular AC line was installed about two years ago, and is separate from the rest of the house), and the fridge and lights and dimmers and fans in the house add no significant noise to the audio equipment.  I should probably just plug the amp straight into an outlet (and not on the Furman) and listen for any noise.  Thanks for the idea, UE!  (and nice to see you here again, and not just on B&B, lol...)

post #172 of 277
Thread Starter 

OK guys I have been enlightened on a possible problem upgrading to these type of fuses. Let see if I can explain this clearly very simple. Will not give the name of the fuse at this time but may later. If you replace your fuses in a right and left channel set up. They may have a channel inbalance in sound. One channel may sound louder than the other. This may because the resistance may not be held in a tight tolerance. One fuse had a lot less resistance than the other fuse sent to the customer in a pair.  A retailer let me know of this situation because of the thread. To help this type of thing matching of fuses may have to happen like of tubes. But with fuses it will be of resistance. To solve this problem. Any thoughts?

post #173 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG POPPA View Post

OK guys I have been enlightened on a possible problem upgrading to these type of fuses. Let see if I can explain this clearly very simple. Will not give the name of the fuse at this time but may later. If you replace your fuses in a right and left channel set up. They may have a channel inbalance in sound. One channel may sound louder than the other.

 

Time to buy a new amplifier if they do.

 

se

 

 

post #174 of 277
Thread Starter 

Not really. If the resistance is really different between the fuses? It would make sense to try to match the resistance as close as possible to solve the situation.

post #175 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG POPPA View Post

Not really.

 

Yes, really. If the amp's gain is being affected by the resistance of the line fuse, there's something terribly wrong.

 

se

 

 

post #176 of 277
Thread Starter 

For example if one channel resistance is 100 ohms and the other one is 1000 from the fuses of course they are going to sound lopsided. It is just the fuses. My gear just has one fuse in the IEC for the most part. Have not even tried to go through the Sansui 9090 yet, it has a bunch in the circuit.

post #177 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG POPPA View Post

For example if one channel resistance is 100 ohms and the other one is 1000 from the fuses of course they are going to sound lopsided.

 

*sigh*

 

I think it would be best if I say nothing more here.

 

se

 

 

 

post #178 of 277
Thread Starter 

So talking to the retailer again, to double check that I have the problem correct. You have 2 fuses of the same amp rating like a 3amp fuse. They are used one for the left channel and one for the right. For example one would have 100 ohms and one would have 1000 for argument sake. They would sound off, the left channel and right channel would sound inbalanced. And the retailer told me if you switch them the would act the same but opposite. That is how they came to the conclusion of the fuses being the problem. Hope this clarifies a little better.

post #179 of 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG POPPA View Post

So talking to the retailer again, to double check that I have the problem correct. You have 2 fuses of the same amp rating like a 3amp fuse. They are used one for the left channel and one for the right. For example one would have 100 ohms and one would have 1000 for argument sake. They would sound off, the left channel and right channel would sound inbalanced. And the retailer told me if you switch them the would act the same but opposite. That is how they came to the conclusion of the fuses being the problem. Hope this clarifies a little better.


If that's what you're being told, then it's not time to buy another amplifier, it's time to get another retailer.

 

se

 

 

post #180 of 277
Thread Starter 

Would like to hear your opinion a bit more. Please explain more in detail your opinion. I don't get really where you are coming from with your opinion. Please enlighten? Have you came across this and fixed it another way? Is there something we are missing really? Please let us know where the failure with this problem and how to fix it? It was fixed with two fairly matched fuses with the resistance?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: