Sounds like a USB problem.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by System, 5/6/10
Related Forum Threads
- HD 650s keep breaking, is it my own ignorace? Last post on 7/11/16 at 4:33pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Desktop or Portable Amp/DAC for Sennheiser HD650 Last post on 8/14/15 at 3:54am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphone Results With The Pono (or other DAPs) Last post on 12/23/15 at 9:48am in Headphones (full-size)
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 2/19/15 at 11:24am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Sennheiser HD650 vs AKG K7XX Last post on 7/19/16 at 3:38am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
Great quality to be expected of a Fiio product, the cable works as intended and feels nice in the hand. There`s no strain relief on the 30pin connector, perhaps it`s to increase pliability?...
Feliks Audio Espressivo A Foot Tappin', Head Shakin' Tube Amp | PREVIOUS REVIEW | REVIEW INDEX | NEXT REVIEW | INTRODUCTION A Diamond In The Rough Feliks Audio is a family company...
Intro I've been searching for a pair of headphones to use on commutes for years. I started with the Skullcandy Hesh in middle school which broke after several months. After that i came across...
The ONKYO A800 is a very impressive headphone indeed, and I believe it has the potential to really earn a following among headphone enthusiasts. To be sure, we are in an...
Last year I was so excited buying the Walkman Zx2 and Z7 from Sony, and I was gradually enjoying the better of real quality audio when I am stepping back into the portable world. I feel that now...
Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 2322
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Has anyone here heard significant improvements by throwing more expensive/powerful solid-state amplifiers at the HD650? I used it with a Fiio E10K (High Gain), O2, Schiit Magni 2, Violectric HPA V90 and JDS Labs The Element. Changes were extremely subtle, almost non-existant.
What really appears to bring the very, very best out of the HD650 is an amplifier w/ a damping factor of 50 +. In my case I use the HD650 exclusively w/ my vintage Kenwood KA-8300 integrated amplifier (1976) & I'll tell you, with the right amplifier, as I believe my vintage amp to be, the HD650 is as good as just about any headphone on the market including orthos. I've owned & listened to the following headphones over the years : the HD600 (like that one also), HD598, HD700, HD800, HD800 S, Beyer T1 Gen.1 & Gen.2, DT990/ 600ohm, AKG K702, K712, K702-65th annies, Grado PS1000e, PS500e, GS1000e & i, GH1, SRS325e, RS1i, & e, LCD 2 rev.2, Shure SRH1540, SRH940 & a few more mid-high end which I can't recall & based on my personal taste & based on the "perfect" amplification for them : the HD650 is my personal favourite headphone amongst all of those headphones I've listed.
One important point which at times seems to be forgotten about these headphones is that for a number of years, the HD650 was Sennheiser's flagship headphone. Grant you, that was a few years ago but that doesn't necessarily mean that headphones with newer technology are much better or simply better than the HD650. Price isn't always a true indicator either.
A former member of Head-fi who really knows his stuff put it best when it comes to the HD650 (copy & paste from "a part" of what he wrote on another Internet audiophile site, 3 years ago ) :
Quote : First off, the HD-650 is not a mid-ranged headphone. It was Sennheiser's flagship for years and is still a better headphone than quite a few in the $1,000-$3,000 range. Yes. Seriously.
For those here who don't know me, I usually run the setup in my flair. However, I also have the AKG K-1000, Stax Omega II Mk. 1, Grado HP-2, and a dozen other headphones. I have owned the HD-650, HD-600, DT880, K-701, K-501, and a bunch others. I've been to several large meets and have listened to pretty much everything on the market. Yes, even the Orpheus. My other amp is a Moth Si2A3 and I'm bringing a Barbour Brute Force and Cuiffoli SESS (5842) online pretty quick, followed by a Pete Millett SRPP ECC99 in the grounded cathode configuration. I like speakers, too, and run ProAc Response 2.5 clones I built and Quad ESL-63s.
So when I say that the HD-650 is a high end headphone, I mean it. It's a great headphone and a tremendous value considering that some of the expensive headphones are just ordinary headphones tarted up with aluminum and leather and a really big price tag.
The HD-650 is picky about amplification. This is where the veil myth comes from. The HD-650 is not veiled; amplifiers are veiled. Use a good one and it can sound almost as quick and transparent as an electrostat."
My favourite part of what he wrote & that I happen to agree with is the following :
"The HD650 is picky about amplification. This is where the VEIL MYTH comes from. The HD650 is NOT VEILED; AMPLIFIERS ARE VEILED. Use a good one and it can sound almost as quick and transparent as an electrostat."
I fully agree with this opinion because I'm experiencing it now with the proper amping. This headphone is an exceptional piece of audio technology.
Edited by BobG55 - 7/25/16 at 9:41pm
I'll add that you don't even have to spend a lot of money to make the HD650 truly sing. Listening out of my Vali 2 and Modi 2 Uber 4490 right now and it is an exceptional pairing, almost as good as my Bifrost/Valhalla 2 setup.
Not saying it won't sound good, but if you are using the headphone output of the amp there is a 330 Ohm series resistor which pretty much negates the damping factor of 50 + and will give approx. 1.5dB boost around 90 Hz
- Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
- › Am I asking for too much? 7 seconds ago
- › AKG K553 Pro vs. AKG K550 MK II (and thoughts on the AKG K550 "MK I") 10 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions 13 seconds ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 26 seconds ago
- › Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015 35 seconds ago
- › Shozy Zero: $50 IEMs with real rosewood, taking on the $500 big boys! 38 seconds ago
- › Focal Elear and Utopia Launch (With Impressions) - Head-Fi TV 51 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD800 S Impressions Thread (read first post for summary) 1 minute ago
- › Rising cost of "audiophile" equipment and importance of bias/blind... 2 minutes ago
- › Get more out of my es10's 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by istirsin
- › ONKYO A800 50mm Open Back Headphone by Sonic Defender
- › Sony PHA-3 Headphone Amp by Whitigir
- › Brainwavz Jive by Feilong4
- › AKG K7XX by Aornic
- › SYLLABLE D900S Mini Wireless Bluetooth Earphone Waterproof... by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO E12A Mont Blanc Portable Headphone Amplifier for IEM Special... by Tayyab Pirzada
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...