or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread - Page 77

post #1141 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanter View Post
Hi everyone! I have them and love them without any amping but am looking to get a cheap tube amp to make them even better, could you recommend a few?

And by cheap, I mean cheap, the lowest of the low end amps. ~$150. Now I know 'YOU WON'T GET THE MOST OUT OF THEM BLAH BLAH BLAH', I've heard that so many times. But you know what, I'm liking them without any amping, so I think I'll live them even more with a cheap tube amp. So, which cheap tube amps are a good match?
If you love it without any amp between the path, save the money then. But again, I wonder how does it sound without a proper amp in driving the HD650. I even have issues pairing it with a portable amp, which is a RSA Predator.
post #1142 of 36851
A HeadRoom Airhead, or even better, the Bithead since it offers you a DAC to better that of you computers.
post #1143 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimlink View Post
A HeadRoom Airhead, or even better, the Bithead since it offers you a DAC to better that of you computers.
Rather than a cheap tube amp?

btw was the dude in your avatar blue a few minutes ago? I could have sworn it was.
post #1144 of 36851
No it was always green. Weird.
post #1145 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanter View Post
Rather than a cheap tube amp?

btw was the dude in your avatar blue a few minutes ago? I could have sworn it was.
Why would you wanna incur additional cost when you are satisfy with the can without an amp? It may not necessary enhancing your listening pleasure by having another piece if equipment between the signal path, unless your primary concern is to have the music louder but not the quality of the reproduction. Think twice ya.
post #1146 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanter View Post
Rather than a cheap tube amp?

btw was the dude in your avatar blue a few minutes ago? I could have sworn it was.
A cheap tube amp is more likely to just look cute/sexy more than anything else.
post #1147 of 36851
I don't know of any cheap low-end amps that would do the HD650 any good. Save your money.
post #1148 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I don't know of any cheap low-end amps that would do the HD650 any good. Save your money.
Does everyone agree? I don't have a lot of experience with headphones, I like the way they sound without any amping, is it true that a $100-200 amp wouldn't provide any improvement?
post #1149 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanter View Post
Does everyone agree? I don't have a lot of experience with headphones, I like the way they sound without any amping, is it true that a $100-200 amp wouldn't provide any improvement?
It can even make it worse... if wrong choice is chosen.
post #1150 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanter View Post
Does everyone agree? I don't have a lot of experience with headphones, I like the way they sound without any amping, is it true that a $100-200 amp wouldn't provide any improvement?
Here are two relatively inexpensive amps that do provide worthwhile improvement with the HD650 (worthwhile relative to their cost, and worthwhile as determined by my increased enjoyment of music using them with the HD650):
1) a FiiO E3 - I prefer the sound of the HD650 with this amp over a HeadRoom MicroAmp (one purchased in July, 2008), or an iBasso D10 with stock opamps (although with Highflight's latest D10 Topkit of opamp/buffers, I prefer the D10). A FiiO E3 does not bring out the best I've heard from the HD650, but I find that it brings out a good deal more from them than no amp or than other considerably more pricey, but still modest, amps. I don't think you'll find very many people who share this view with me, but I find the FiiO E3 to be a worthwhile amp for the HD650. And for its price (around $10), it's not much of a risk to give one a try.
2) a HiSoundAudio AMP3 - which can be used as either a DAP (with built-in Class A amp), or as an amp-only, since it has a line-in jack and a menu-selectable amp mode that it runs in. It sells for about $160 - $200, depending on the vendor and deal obtained, and it does an exceptionally good job with the HD650.
In my estimation, the AMP3 is a worthy competitor for bringing out from the HD650 the best that I've heard (compared to a KICAS Caliente and a Mapletree Ear+ HD, used with the sources/IC's in the rigs in my sig).
post #1151 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanter View Post
Hi everyone! I have them and love them without any amping but am looking to get a cheap tube amp to make them even better, could you recommend a few?

And by cheap, I mean cheap, the lowest of the low end amps. ~$150. Now I know 'YOU WON'T GET THE MOST OUT OF THEM BLAH BLAH BLAH', I've heard that so many times. But you know what, I'm liking them without any amping, so I think I'll live them even more with a cheap tube amp. So, which cheap tube amps are a good match?
The ld mk2 I have using russian 6n6p power tubes and WE403b driver tubes set at gain10 is very good with my hd580s. They cost around $150... maybe less than $200 including those tubes and shipping. I have a feeling they will be great with 650s. They are snappy and sparkly sounding with my 580s so they might neutralize the hd650s well. Try them, you have nothing to lose at this pricepoint. I prefer this amp to my old c2c and gilmore lite for example and they are waaaayyy cheaper.
post #1152 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimlink View Post
A cheap tube amp is more likely to just look cute/sexy more than anything else.
Yup, some people buy tube amps because. . . tubes glow.
post #1153 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbulack View Post
Here are two relatively inexpensive amps that do provide worthwhile improvement with the HD650 (worthwhile relative to their cost, and worthwhile as determined by my increased enjoyment of music using them with the HD650):
1) a FiiO E3 - I prefer the sound of the HD650 with this amp over a HeadRoom MicroAmp (one purchased in July, 2008), or an iBasso D10 with stock opamps (although with Highflight's latest D10 Topkit of opamp/buffers, I prefer the D10). A FiiO E3 does not bring out the best I've heard from the HD650, but I find that it brings out a good deal more from them than no amp or than other considerably more pricey, but still modest, amps. I don't think you'll find very many people who share this view with me, but I find the FiiO E3 to be a worthwhile amp for the HD650. And for its price (around $10), it's not much of a risk to give one a try.
2) a HiSoundAudio AMP3 - which can be used as either a DAP (with built-in Class A amp), or as an amp-only, since it has a line-in jack and a menu-selectable amp mode that it runs in. It sells for about $160 - $200, depending on the vendor and deal obtained, and it does an exceptionally good job with the HD650.
In my estimation, the AMP3 is a worthy competitor for bringing out from the HD650 the best that I've heard (compared to a KICAS Caliente and a Mapletree Ear+ HD, used with the sources/IC's in the rigs in my sig).
oooooh that is VERY exciting to hear! Could you describe the way they sound with that amp?
post #1154 of 36851
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post
That's an interesting comment, because in theory you would expect tubes to suit the 702 (adding a bit of weight) and definitely not suit the 650 (adding weight it doesn't need, and not adding the SS sharpness it needs). Yet your experience is the opposite.
My opinion in that matter is that 701/2 is fantastic with a ss amp because the positives come together - especially the issue of speed matching. If you tube the 701/2 - you are fundamentally purposefully inhibiting the phones true potential by slowing it down. I bet this phone was engineered under the condition of a ss amp. Injecting a tube sound is asking the 701/2 to do something it never really excelled in - ie highlighting its limitations.

Hot off the heels of the Sennheiser orpheus (tubed) came then 580, 600, and 650 - The DNA is evident in it's apearance. I believe that these phones were engineered with the understanding that they will be connected to tubes - as orpheus was.

650 is never a fast phone - the bass is not the tightest - about as tight as tubes - perfect synergy, the warmth the laid back treble, sounds exactly like tube charcteristics - coincidence? I think not.

Connected to ss amps - the slower bass is really obvious and they won't exploit the core strength of midrange intimacy of the 650.

The HD800 marks the completion of Senheissers shift in paradigm from seduction (orpheus - niche markets) to precision (larger market = greater potential profit). It began with the introduction of the HD595 (successor to the 580 as the leader of the rest. ie excl 600/650). Angled drivers? silver plastics? shift in tonal balance? It ends with the HD800.

I may still buy the HD800 (must have "the best") but I know the 650 is in my heart and will not leave.

The only upgrade left for me is a aftermarket 650 cable, still have the stock. How is the cardas cable? I can purchase these new in Australia.

PS. For some stupid reason I feel I need to get a headphone with wooden cups because my simple mind equates wood with "old school" hence will synergise with "old school" tubes. On the contrary - I would have thought the "old school" look of the K701 would be perfect with tubes - I buy on looks how shallow.
post #1155 of 36851
You can get a Zero or Aune.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sennheiser HD650 Impressions Thread