- 233 Posts. Joined 4/2013
- Location: Midwest
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K1000tagged by System, 10/8/10
- productAKG K 271 Studiotagged by System, 3/24/11
- productAKG K501tagged by System, 10/8/10
- productBeyerdynamic DT 250 - Headphones ( ear-cup )tagged by System, 8/18/11
- productEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphonestagged by System, 10/8/10
- productEtymotic Research ER6 Isolator In-Ear Earphones (Black)tagged by System, 8/18/11
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 10/8/10
- productGrado SR225i Headphonestagged by System, 3/24/11
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 10/8/10
- productSennheiser HD 280 Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11More
- productSennheiser HD 580tagged by System, 3/24/11
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by System, 3/24/11
- productSony MDR-V6 Monitor Series Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
Related Forum Threads
- Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old) Last post on 7/10/15 at 11:27pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for Movie Scores/ Classical/ Symphonies Last post on 7/29/11 at 8:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for Radiohead Last post on 3/6/13 at 6:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Most bang for 200$ ? Last post on 9/15/12 at 3:17am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 6/30/15
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
First of all I would like to thank Hifinage (http://www.hifinage.com/) for arranging a review tour and sending this to me. They are really stepping up their game and slowly increasing the product...
First things first: I would like to thank Lin and RHA for the opportunity to test these IEMs and provide my honest opinion of them in return. It really is great that this community allows this...
Not too long ago, I was a lowly noob looking for my first headphones. I waded through the murky waters of terminology I couldn’t understand and brands I’d never heard of before. Over time, some...
Eddie Current's Zana Deux reviewed... Pre-amble - the Zana Deux original vs the new Zana Deux Super... - There are two versions of this tube amplifier. Both are output transformerless (OTL)...
This review will cover the X5ii, comparing it to the Pono player and the original X5. I have a Pono in my possession now. I unfortunately sold my original X5 prior to receiving the review sample,...
Rank the Headphones that You Own. - Page 342post #5116 of 51217/15/15 at 7:49amI just happened to try some narrow bore silicone tips. They weren't too narrow to kill too much bass but they did improve the treble to my liking. I feel a little better liking the more expensive 100 again.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5117 of 51217/15/15 at 11:42am
Finalized mods on some headphones.
1: Sansui SS-100: Rockwool felt and stock damping in earcup. Pads replaced with modified Shure SRH-550DJ earpads. Best of the bunch by a significant margin, very flat and clear. A tiny bit smeared in detail when compared to the ER-4S, but simultaneously more neutral and realistic sounding. Not comfortable. Don't sound good without proper amplification; these might have more room to scale.
2: Etymotic ER-4S: Using the foam tips and orange filters I got from a friend. Much more comfortable and still about the same as the stock frost triflanges soundwise: slightly dark sounding with treble peakage. Detail microscope. Good soundstage. Midrange tone is dead on. Don't play loud very well. Low bass roll off.
3: Pioneer Monitor 10-II: Foam frontwave damping (creatology around driver, open-cell over driver). Foam around driver in earcup and crammed into the driver vents. Rear cup covered in foam and poly-fil. Stock pads replaced with Brainwavz HM5 pleathers. Converted to dual entry using parts from a second, broken M10-II. Various cosmetic mods and touch-ups. By far my most involved project here. Sound is like the TH900: Boosted bass and treble but maintains good clarity and detail throughout the frequency range. Probably not as detailed as the TH900. Extremely good soundstage. These aren't bad by any means, but they are quite colored, which keeps me from using them often (these will probably see more work due to this).
4: Toshiba HR-810: Earcups closed with electrical tape from the inside. Felt stuck to rear of cup. Stock pads replaced with decayed and cleaned Pioneer SE-700 earpads. These probably aren't done either. Very good; flat and crisp. However, the lack of seal on the ear side prevents them from pushing bass. I had non-decayed SE-700 pads on them before, which allowed them to physically slam your skull, but one got damaged and as a result I had to change them to something else. Trying to find another earpad that works well before sending them off to their new owner.
5: Pioneer SE-500: Literally the exact same situation as above, to a worse extent. Cups closed with tape, felt layered with that. Pads do not seal and bass does not slam. Quite bright and not pleasant sounding. These have potential, but the problem here is that the pads are an odd shape, so suitable replacements are much harder to find. My only idea at this point is more extreme mods involving converting them to over ear and modifying the yoke structure.
Edited by takato14 - 7/15/15 at 12:21pmpost #5118 of 51217/15/15 at 3:59pmQuote:
Those original tips are a disaster, at least for me. They don't fit well at all.post #5119 of 51217/16/15 at 3:14ampost #5120 of 51217/18/15 at 1:39ampost #5121 of 51217/20/15 at 5:52pm
HE-400 modded with grill removal/Audeze pads/Lohb's suspension headband mod fed via speaker taps
Ultrasone Performance 840 with Alpha pads (portable setup is my best basshead combo with Cayin C5)
- Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Headphone Impedance
- › Audeze LCD-X 8 seconds ago
- › ***NEW*** Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp??? 1 minute ago
- › Classical Contemporary Music Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Watches - another passion of ours, it seems...post your pics! 3 minutes ago
- › UpTone Audio USB REGEN 4 minutes ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 5 minutes ago
- › I make 10,000 posts per year! 5 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 : A Review by Baycode 5 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 7 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 7 minutes ago
- › Fidue A73 Hybrid Monitor Earphones with universal single button... by wrathzombie
- › RHA T20 by Wyd4
- › Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon by Stillhart
- › Eddie Current Zana Deux SE by mikoss
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by fleasbaby
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by LandonO
- › Audeze EL-8 Closed-Back by twister6
- › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL by RushNerd
- › Klipsch Image X10 Noise-Isolating Earphone by achelgeson
- › Philips SHE3590BK/10 In-Ear Headphones (Black) by nauhid
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3