Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 › Reviews › kleefurd's Review

Glad I auditioned them...

A Review On: Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350

Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350

kleefurd
Posted · Updated · 14727 Views · 3 Comments

Pros: Nice isolation, and ergonomics. Good packaging effort. "Honest" - Good materials sound awesome, bad materials sound like the crap they are.

Cons: Clamping a little tight, have to bend the frame to loosen a little. Microphonics a little irritating when listening in low levels. Mids can improve.

Decided to go shopping to buy myself a replacement for the Sennheiser HD25-1 which has served its purpose touring with me for the last 9 years. Auditioned quite a few headphones, and almost missed the DT1350. Thankfully I was not happy with the sound of the other headphones and headed to another shopping district and chanced upon the DT1350 on demo. Fell in love with the voicing. Had bad relationship with Beyerdynamics in the past, and hated the DT90, but the DT1350 won me over. Big time. Glad I gave the cans a chance, and fell in love. Well done, Beyer.

Mids could be more accurate in my opinion. The high mids somehow sounds a little off. I am used to listening to studio monitors and use them as a point of reference since I spent more than two decades in recording studios.

Observations after 1 week of using them

Isolation might be affected by the microphonics especially when used in flights/trains. While they are closed cans, they are still better used at home rather than outdoors. Else one will be left guessing where all that "rumbling, second bass note, etc" are coming from. I was hoping that Beyerdynamic and all the headphones company learn something from Westone... BRAID YOUR CABLES!

Geesh... If you are making something portable, consider the microphonics!

Fit is better than it was a week back, and I am loving the seal and how the sound is smoothing out... funny how cars and cans have in common... the "first thousand clicks" to burn/run it in.
I still love the voicing of the DT1350 but this is personal, rather being a "this is the best sound". Because there is no such thing. One man's meat is definitely another man's poison when it comes to preference for sound.

Nice and meaty mids, soundstage still not as open as thousands of other cans out there. If you want an "intimate sound" like listening to a pair of near field monitors in a quiet room, this pair of cans will make you smile.

Make sure you audition a pair of burnt-in cans though... new from the box, they can be a little disappointing.

Aesthetics build, so-so, there are prettier cans out there. Lots of nicer looking ones. These are industrial looking but they get the job done. And comfortable. Wore them for most part of a 12 hours flight, and I was not sore when I landed. That is a sign of a good fit. (I am of medium build).

Week 2

(more observations, average listening per day : 4 hours. Can burn-in time : over 200 hours).

The fit is less clampy now. I would say comfortable but you still feel it there. The pads softened as mentioned by the others, and the seal and sweet spot is easier to find now. (Had that "where is my bass" moment before the pads softened). Microphonics still a problem, and would be looking at a solution at some point when I can get some nice braided cables to replace the stock ones.

The voicing of the DT1350 makes me happy, because it reminds me of the Quested speakers I used to love so much in the early years in the studio. The mid range is beautiful, in my opinion. And the low extension is enough for me to enjoy what the bassman is playing without having to feel like I am standing beside a bass amp or subwoofer. Highs can get a little bright but matching with the TEAC HA-P50-B smoothes them out. The DT1350 does not match well with the FiiO E17+E09K combo, as the amp/DAC brings out the worse in the cans. Mids become hollow-er, brights just get brighter... not good at all.

The high frequency response of the DT1350 is really good, and I love the fact that I can pick up all the subtle strings, vocal parts, harmonies, etc. in the recordings. Behaves a little more like the ribbon tweeter monitors at the top end. But for me, the overall voicing works very well. It has the "typical British sound" that I love. (This is an old school reference).

I don't think there is much to add about the "stock version" of the DT 1350. If I get to "upgrade" the very noisy cables, I will come back and post again. Otherwise, this shall be the last update.

If one likes clarity and a neutral sounding pair of close cans, with an intimate sound close to your ears, this is probably one of the best cans out there. Not really on the cheap side, but it will be money well spent.

- - -

(more to come if I manage to find material and time to replace the stock cables)

The lower mids were scooped and the lower treble/upper midrange had an odd artificial "hissing" noise to it, sort of tizzy and hazy. It shows up as an 8kHz peak/resonance on CSD plots. It was actually the reason I got rid of mine, as I'm very sensitive to that region and it sounded downright irritating, to be honest. Probably could've been fixed with a little bit of cup dampening, but companies can't be assed to do that nowadays so whatever.

Glad you like them. Good review.
I think a "warm sounding" amp cleared up the high fizz quite a bit. But you are right about the scooped lower mids.

Geesh... If you are making something portable, consider the microphonics!

Nothing to hate about them.