ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
May 18, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #6,316 of 6,381
in the Caldera thread someone made a poll for pad choices, think that's a nice idea for the Atrium too if not done yet, also due to the new ultra perforated pads that came with caldera release.

https://smartpolls.co.uk/p/67189
This pad poll kind of got buried in that post, so here’s a little bump for it

May 19, 2024 at 6:12 AM Post #6,317 of 6,381
This pad poll kind of got buried in that post, so here’s a little bump for it

Its quite even for now, lets see will it change if there are more votes
1716113577986.png

May 19, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #6,318 of 6,381
It wouldn't surprise me if this poll gets tied. All of them are great options IMHO. I think the Caldera pads have the better "technicalities", is more neutral and with the best spatial qualities. When I want a slightly more colored/ euphonic/ fun sound I pick the Auteur or the Universe pads, not that the Caldera pads can't be fun too. The Auteur pads have a unique 3D-ness to the soundstage that I'm addicted to. In a way pad-rolling is a bit like tube-rolling, just another layer to finetune the sound after your preference or mood of the day and so on.

May 19, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #6,319 of 6,381
It wouldn't surprise me if this poll gets tied. All of them are great options IMHO. I think the Caldera pads have the better "technicalities", is more neutral and with the best spatial qualities. When I want a slightly more colored/ euphonic/ fun sound I pick the Auteur or the Universe pads, not that the Caldera pads can't be fun too. The Auteur pads have a unique 3D-ness to the soundstage that I'm addicted to. In a way pad-rolling is a bit like tube-rolling, just another layer to finetune the sound after your preference or mood of the day and so on.
looks like it's a good idea to get all the three lambskin options for tuning preference :) Caldera Pad with nice tubes has to be insane in terms of euphonic and technical qualities (theoretically). Auteur und Universe Pads must be very close for the Atrium i think. Used both of their non perforated hybrid options for my TH900's.

May 19, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #6,320 of 6,381
looks like it's a good idea to get all the three lambskin options for tuning preference :) Caldera Pad with nice tubes has to be insane in terms of euphonic and technical qualities (theoretically). Auteur und Universe Pads must be very close for the Atrium i think. Used both of their non perforated hybrid options for my TH900's.
The Caldera Ultra Perf lamb is a real tradeoff between the increased space & perhaps euphonic qualities and decreased bass, impact and richness.

May 20, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #6,323 of 6,381
Does anyone happen to know how to distinguish between the Universe and Auteur pads?
They look very identical visually and it would be nice if Zmf could name them on the back or somewhere with an abbreviation so you can recognise them.

I ask the same thing few days ago and got the answer here

1716194130799.png

May 20, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #6,325 of 6,381
giphy (1).gif

May 21, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #6,326 of 6,381
Could I ask for your advice on this? I received an email from ZMF today stating the Marblecake Walnut model I ordered has a small blemish and offer me a partial refund bringing it down to B-stock pricing, alternatively they can create a new set. I've asked if they could send a picture on which I could base my decision. What would you suggest I do? (I'm quoting the relevant part of the email below, for reference.)

In the quality control process, one of our technicians noticed an area where the wood had been stabilized for structural integrity, leaving a small seam in the wood. This headphone is still structurally sound and the blemish would not impact the sonics or warranty. This is a very beautiful unit, but unfortunately we are not able to classify this unit as A-Stock.

Due to this small imperfection, we would be happy to offer you this headphone at a refund for the B-Stock pricing. Additionally, another option would be for our team to create a new Marble Cake Walnut set as well.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #6,327 of 6,381
Could I ask for your advice on this? I received an email from ZMF today stating the Marblecake Walnut model I ordered has a small blemish and offer me a partial refund bringing it down to B-stock pricing, alternatively they can create a new set. I've asked if they could send a picture on which I could base my decision. What would you suggest I do? (I'm quoting the relevant part of the email below, for reference.)

In the quality control process, one of our technicians noticed an area where the wood had been stabilized for structural integrity, leaving a small seam in the wood. This headphone is still structurally sound and the blemish would not impact the sonics or warranty. This is a very beautiful unit, but unfortunately we are not able to classify this unit as A-Stock.

Due to this small imperfection, we would be happy to offer you this headphone at a refund for the B-Stock pricing. Additionally, another option would be for our team to create a new Marble Cake Walnut set as well.
if you're willing to go through the hassle of sending them back (and not having your headphones for some time) i'd say go for it.

else a small issue like that can be overlooked

p.s: might as well use that refund money and get some pads to roll

May 21, 2024 at 5:05 AM Post #6,328 of 6,381

I have a B-stock stabilized VO. I’ve looked it over many times and still don’t know why it’s B-stock. Their standards are very high. I’d be inclined to get a nice pretty cable with the savings.

May 21, 2024 at 5:09 AM Post #6,329 of 6,381
if you're willing to go through the hassle of sending them back (and not having your headphones for some time) i'd say go for it.

else a small issue like that can be overlooked

p.s: might as well use that refund money and get some pads to roll
They haven't sent the headphones yet. This was discovered during production of the headphones.

May 21, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #6,330 of 6,381
They haven't sent the headphones yet. This was discovered during production of the headphones.
as an impatient person i would just take whichever option allows me to get the headphones the fastest, especially since it is still under warranty.

as @cats4cans mentioned, you can always use the cash on a nice cable, or even a zmf salire, or (my pick) more pads to roll.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back