What's the best USB audio cable for the money?
May 17, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #1,306 of 1,335
I really meant no offense and I wasn’t trying to be snarky.
It honestly did come across that way, but ok.

I just never heard the difference in five different USB cables I own.

But the Ifi iGalvanic I have works, and I measured that it indeed works as intended. So does the Intona galvanic isolator.
Have you owned, or ever used the Excalibur USB cable?

Anyway, I had the AudioQuest Jitterbug, and didn't find it all that effective, and why I no longer use them. Instead, now I just run an Excalibur USB cable from PC to my Denafrips Iris DDC. The DDC feeds both my Pontus via HDMI (I2S), and my Teac VRDS CD player via optical cable. Zero complaints.

May 18, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #1,307 of 1,335
I am going to grab an Excalibur as soon as I can, It is highly recommended and I think "I" may tend towards that warmer analog sound so it will be an interesting test between it and my "never mentioned" mercury cable....:beerchug:

Cheers!!
AVConnection has them cheap right now. 1meter version is $94, 2meter is $101.
They charge like $20~ shipping irrc, but, no tax if you live outside of EU. And for that paid shipping it arrived fast as Hell. Got mine 2 days after I ordered it and I live in the middle of the country in the US.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #1,308 of 1,335
Why you even try to convert him? There are always these religious discussions when an atheist comes into the group. He just doesn't "believe" in it and apparently has more knowledge than others. I wouldn't waste energy on something like that

Did you read what I wrote or are you just spouting off nonsense because you are in a bad mood and it’s easy to type behind a keyboard ?

I said I hear differences in headphone connectors. Not to mention some cables.
Our ears are not measuring devices.

and why should anyone convert me or convert you or anyone??

What in earth are you talking about? We were all getting along just fine and exchanging experiences.
That’s all. No one trying to force anyone to believe in anything.

Have some coffee. Must be early there.

Cheers

May 18, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #1,309 of 1,335
It honestly did come across that way, but ok.

Have you owned, or ever used the Excalibur USB cable?

Anyway, I had the AudioQuest Jitterbug, and didn't find it all that effective, and why I no longer use them. Instead, now I just run an Excalibur USB cable from PC to my Denafrips Iris DDC. The DDC feeds both my Pontus via HDMI (I2S), and my Teac VRDS CD player via optical cable. Zero complaints.

No.
and the person I was talkin to didn’t take it in a snarky manner.
But you chose to and it wasn’t even directed towards you.
Wow. Lol

I actually have the jitterbug, but no longer use it because I have two galvanic isolators.
The jitterbug sounded like it actually did make a difference.

May 18, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #1,310 of 1,335
This is the way, I think. For now Im content with Excalibur feeding Yggy Unison via USB. But as previously mentioned I will jump on a Schiit DDC if it's priced right and run Unison to Unison via two Excaliburs since Yggy doesnt have I2S. It'd have to be cheaper than the Gustard U18 or Denafrips Iris which are $500-$600. I just don't think I'll get anywhere near $500 worth of difference vs the already excellent Excalibur >> Unison.
But if it's a couple hundred bucks I will. The same shell that their $100 components are in with the DDC guts from URD and a Unison output should legitimately be like $250. And thats probably the most I'd pay for it, too.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #1,311 of 1,335
I’ve measured different USB cables and they make zero diff.

A galvanic isolator on the other hand does make a diff.
Here is a good objective measurement comparison of USB cables which proves that they do color the signal.

May 18, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #1,312 of 1,335
I’ve measured different USB cables and they make zero diff.

A galvanic isolator on the other hand does make a diff.
That depends some cables sounds different and some not.

The Jitterbug depends on your gear, here I use the Jitterbug for my hifi-nerves, but I can't hear the difference.

Supra Excalibur on the other hand is a big, big improvement, on almost all gear I suppose.

It's a very big difference between Excalibur and the cheap white Supra High speed.

The Cheap is way warmer and lack abit detail.

Excalibur is detaljed in all register and have a wide soundstage.

It's silly to claim that this is placebo, it is consensus on the matter from folks who try cables.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #1,313 of 1,335
This is the way, I think. For now Im content with Excalibur feeding Yggy Unison via USB. But as previously mentioned I will jump on a Schiit DDC if it's priced right and run Unison to Unison via two Excaliburs since Yggy doesnt have I2S. It'd have to be cheaper than the Gustard U18 or Denafrips Iris which are $500-$600. I just don't think I'll get anywhere near $500 worth of difference vs the already excellent Excalibur >> Unison.
But if it's a couple hundred bucks I will. The same shell that their $100 components are in with the DDC guts from URD and a Unison output should legitimately be like $250. And thats probably the most I'd pay for it, too.
The DAC I have is the Denafrips Iris.

I thought about getting the Hermes so I could connect my CD player to it, but the player is sounding great going through the Pontus into the headphone amp.

May 18, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #1,314 of 1,335
The DAC I have is the Denafrips Iris.

I thought about getting the Hermes so I could connect my CD player to it, but the player is sounding great going through the Pontus into the headphone amp.
I almost went with a Pontus II as well and if I had I'd run an Iris , too. Im sure that it sounds fabulous.

May 18, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #1,315 of 1,335
That depends some cables sounds different and some not.

The Jitterbug depends on your gear, here I use the Jitterbug for my hifi-nerves, but I can't hear the difference.

Supra Excalibur on the other hand is a big, big improvement, on almost all gear I suppose.

It's a very big difference between Excalibur and the cheap white Supra High speed.

The Cheap is way warmer and lack abit detail.

Excalibur is detaljed in all register and have a wide soundstage.

It's silly to claim that this is placebo, it is consensus on the matter from folks who try cables.

Now you are doing what you don’t like and trying to convince me of something.

I never tried to convince anyone. I was simply stating my observations.

And it’s not a placebo effect. That is completely different. It’s called ‘ confirmation bias’

More power to you if you have heard a huge diff in USB cables. I simply stated that I can’t hear a difference or measure one.

May 18, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #1,316 of 1,335
Here is a good objective measurement comparison of USB cables which proves that they do color the signal.

Come on man. You must be young right?
That is a very badly conducted test, that doesn’t even test the correct things.
That’s the only thing he could do since he doesn’t have an AD or Analyzer.
lol, pardon I’m not laughing at you but Lahlan who made the video.

It’s all good. We can have two different opinions. Don’t have to agree on everything.

Cheers

May 18, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #1,317 of 1,335
Come on man. You must be young right?
That is a very badly conducted test, that doesn’t even test the correct things.
That’s the only thing he could do since he doesn’t have an AD or Analyzer.
lol, pardon I’m not laughing at you but Lahlan who made the video.

It’s all good. We can have two different opinions. Don’t have to agree on everything.

Cheers
He just trying to show in a test that usb cables are different.

Because all us that use better Quality usb knows this is true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back