iFi audio - Introducing the ZEN DAC Signature V2 and ZEN CAN Signature HFM, Perfectly Balanced As All Things Should Be!
Jan 27, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #211 of 220
Many of my friends said the original diablo sounded clean, powerful but dry, insipid and flat. The zen sig and the idsd sig (blue one) give a more substance and layer into the sound
Ok, interesting! I find the Diablo to definitely be clean and powerful sounding, but I like the tone and sense of space a lot, so it's interesting people hear it differently. It makes my headphones sing and not just planars - dynamics, too.

But it is good to know that they found the Zen Can Signature to be some more substance and layered. That's what I was looking for.

Jan 27, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #212 of 220
Many of my friends said the original diablo sounded clean, powerful but dry, insipid and flat. The zen sig and the idsd sig (blue one) give a more substance and layer into the sound
I never felt (heard that of the OG Diablo or the 2) for that matter, although I perceived the 2 to be a bit less on the "analog" side than the OG I think that almost all of our products steer towards the side of "old school analog" type sound that I dearly love!

More or less TBH part of the reason I fell in love with iFi gear from the start.

Cheers, and trust your own ears!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
May 18, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #213 of 220
Hello, I have the zen dac+amp Signature v2 HFM combo.

- I'am planning to buy an additional dac with snappier transient response (potentially Bifrost 2) to plug into the Signature amp. I guess it's possible ? Will it preserve the new dac sound qualities, in particular faster transients, or is the IFI v2 stack designed to work in synergy for a relaxed listening ?

- Else, since I only listen on low impedance transducers, do you recommend buying small separate amplifiers for each dac, or do you recommend any type of switches to feed one amplifier with multiple dac ? In this case I am curious to know about the possibilities (my audio chain is balanced, I don't know if it matters)

May 18, 2024 at 5:42 AM Post #214 of 220

- I'am planning to buy an additional dac with snappier transient response (potentially Bifrost 2) to plug into the Signature amp. I guess it's possible ? Will it preserve the new dac sound qualities, in particular faster transients, or is the IFI v2 stack designed to work in synergy for a relaxed listening ?

- Else, since I only listen on low impedance transducers, do you recommend buying small separate amplifiers for each dac, or do you recommend any type of switches to feed one amplifier with multiple dac ? In this case I am curious to know about the possibilities (my audio chain is balanced, I don't know if it matters)
Diablo

May 18, 2024 at 7:40 AM Post #215 of 220
Thank you for the answer but I'm currently interested in the Bifrost 2 SQ specifically in addition to having a relaxed dac, hence keeping a dedicated amp and dacs for flexibility, which was the reason I bought the IFI stack in the first place. Diablo's look and color aren't really appealing for me, and (apparently?) may not be fully balanced like the Signature v2 architecture.

May 18, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #216 of 220
Thank you for the answer but I'm currently interested in the Bifrost 2 SQ specifically in addition to having a relaxed dac, hence keeping a dedicated amp and dacs for flexibility, which was the reason I bought the IFI stack in the first place. Diablo's look and color aren't really appealing for me, and (apparently?) may not be fully balanced like the Signature v2 architecture.
You won’t find any other DAC with the same fast transients. It is immersive and engaging.

The soundstsage is awesome for gaming. Tall with holographic layering, without sound harsh in the upper highs.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #217 of 220
You won’t find any other DAC with the same fast transients. It is immersive and engaging.

The soundstsage is awesome for gaming. Tall with holographic layering, without sound harsh in the upper highs.
Let me rephrase my question. Can I install faster and or other flavourful expensive dacs alongside the Signature v2 amplifier without quality loss.
I'm not only interested about speed, there are other sound characteristics, features and design that come with dacs.

May 19, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #218 of 220

I have not heard the newest Schiit dacs but I owned several its dacs in the past. All schiit multibit dacs sounded compressed and sleepy on the long listening to my ears. It doesn’t matter if it is the gumby, the mumby or whatever versions (repeatedly I have not heard the Bifrost 2/64, Lim ..) all of them sounded worse than my Zen dac sig. I have not changed my Zen dac sig for 3 years unlike I did in previous years. Schiit ds dacs sounded ok compared to other brand I owned mostly because they didn’t sound glarey. So my recommendation here is you should go and try Schiit newest dacs (before Bifrost 2 era) and find if they suit your preference.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #219 of 220

Suggestion - MHDT Labs, Istanbul NOS R-2R, D/A converter: Burr-Brown PCM61P-K.

May 21, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #220 of 220
Suggestion - MHDT Labs, Istanbul NOS R-2R, D/A converter: Burr-Brown PCM61P-K.
Thank you for your recommendations.
Would you simply pair the more expensive dac with the ifi zen amp v2? Or will the relaxed character of the amp hold back speed and precision of more expensive dacs ? I am aware it may not necessarily be an optimal pairing, is it?
If it keeps more like 65% to 90% of the dac detail retrieval, I would be happy with it.

Then, I might use 2 dacs on the ifi zen can Signature. A relaxed and energetic dac, is it fine to do that ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back