Unveiled: Meet the HD 620S
Jun 7, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #541 of 555
I personally find the DT 770 Pro X LE one of my least fatiguing headphones despite its V-shape, but Beyer dynamism never bothered me fatigue wise and the Stellar.45 drivers don’t stab my ears with the treble like the old ones and the controlled tight bass also makes it easy on my ears. The 770 Pro X is less isolating than the DT 700 Pro X though and the DT 700 Pro X is more neutral than the DT 770 Pro X.

Curious what I’ll think of the HD 620S compared to the Beyers when I get them, they’ll be here Monday. Also curious how the HD 620S compares to the Focal Azurys, but those aren’t shipping till late June for me.
I don't find them fatiguing myself, but I know a lot of people moan about the "Beyer peak." Even so, HD620s is less peaky in this respect.

Jun 7, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #542 of 555
Jun 7, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #543 of 555
Received a cheap balanced cable today from Amazon Japan while I wait on a better one from Arctic Cables. No great difference in timbre/tonality, but indeed bass is a bit more nuanced with better control.

20240607_164423.jpg

Jun 7, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #544 of 555
I don't find them fatiguing myself, but I know a lot of people moan about the "Beyer peak." Even so, HD620s is less peaky in this respect.
Yeah, they do have the Beyer peak, whereas the DT 700/900 Pro X don't really have it. I was expecting that, I am expecting a more HD 6xx tuning with the HD 620S which is what I want with them, curious how close they get and which HD 6xx headphone I think they will sound the most alike to my ears.

What I'm looking forward to is comparing how the HD 620S compare on a more technical level and in terms of spaciousness, staging, and imaging to the Beyers.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #545 of 555
Had both, alongside the new Beyer DT 770 PRO X Limited Edition. 620s has much better isolation and less leakage than the Beyers. Comfort about same. Build goes to Beyer. The 620s is notably less v-shaped with better texture in the mids; Beyers are more dynamic than also more fatiguing (though 700 Pro X are the least dynamic of the Beyer bunch). Incidentally, I don't find any stridency in the 620s treble. If anything, it's a tad too smooth.
Which one would you choose personally? (if you can only keep one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Yeah, they do have the Beyer peak, whereas the DT 700/900 Pro X don't really have it. I was expecting that, I am expecting a more HD 6xx tuning with the HD 620S which is what I want with them, curious how close they get and which HD 6xx headphone I think they will sound the most alike to my ears.

What I'm looking forward to is comparing how the HD 620S compare on a more technical level and in terms of spaciousness, staging, and imaging to the Beyers.

In the same boat. I have been looking at 600-series for a while. But they are all god damn open ones. Love the sound, but i need my headphones to be closed.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #546 of 555
Which one would you choose personally? (if you can only keep one :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
Well, I returned the Beyer DT 770 PRO X LTD Edition so there's your answer! (And I consider myself a big Beyer fan, at least before they sort of lost their way on the 3rd gen T5/T1 models. Kept all the "classic" DT990/DT770 models though).

Jun 7, 2024 at 11:20 AM Post #547 of 555
Well, I returned the Beyer DT 770 PRO X LTD Edition so there's your answer! (And I consider myself a big Beyer fan, at least before they sort of lost their way on the 3rd gen T5/T1 models. Kept all the "classic" DT990/DT770 models though).
Thanks to you i'm now 349,90€ poorer 🥴

Made the order, but really tbh thank you for your feedback!

Jun 7, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #548 of 555

In the same boat. I have been looking at 600-series for a while. But they are all god damn open ones. Love the sound, but i need my headphones to be closed.
My favorite of the HD 6xx line is probably the HD 600 tuning wise. I like the HD 660S2 and find it the best technically but it's a bit too subdued in the upper mids/lower treble to my ears. I'm hoping the HD 620S leans more towards the HD 600 to my ears.

I personally enjoy the new Beyers but they definitely did take a new direction with the T1/T5 Gen 3 and DT 700/900. But Amiron Home and T1.2 Black Editions showed they were experimenting with early versions of the T1.3 tuning. I really like the T1.3 but can see why many do not like it at all.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #549 of 555
Exciting. I just bought it and expect delivery tomorrow, along with FiiO KA17. I know that they will be selling a balanced cable later. Are there any advantages to waiting, or could someone recommend a balanced cable from the Jungle, reasonably priced $75 and under.

I'm really looking forward to this. This year I've gotten back into listening to music and have tried a handful of DAC dongles.

Jun 7, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #551 of 555
Exciting. I just bought it and expect delivery tomorrow, along with FiiO KA17. I know that they will be selling a balanced cable later. Are there any advantages to waiting, or could someone recommend a balanced cable from the Jungle, reasonably priced $75 and under.

I'm really looking forward to this. This year I've gotten back into listening to music and have tried a handful of DAC dongles.
Hello. Reading thru the description, should I be looking to buy a 3.5mm male to 4.4mm male balanced cable? I plan to plug the headphones into a USB DAC, the FiiO KA17 which has a balanced 4.4 output. I'm unclear if the headphones input is proprietary or if any higher end 4.4 balanced cable will work?

Thanks.

Jun 7, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #552 of 555
Hello. Reading thru the description, should I be looking to buy a 3.5mm male to 4.4mm male balanced cable? I plan to plug the headphones into a USB DAC, the FiiO KA17 which has a balanced 4.4 output. I'm unclear if the headphones input is proprietary or if any higher end 4.4 balanced cable will work?

Thanks.
Proprietary is probably not the right word because there's no intellectual property or top secret schematic, but the side that plugs into the headphone is a 2.5 mm with a twist and lock barrel.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jun 7, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #553 of 555
I prefer Sennheiser, because Beyerdynamic never changes the earcups. They're that small and narrow since forever. Their headbands are also not that great.
They did rather recently with the DT 700/900 Pro X, they are still round though. But I do find Sennheiser does experiment more with new chassis and earcup designs than Beyer. And the headbands on many of the older-style Beyers are bad/fragile. I feel they finally addressed the headbands reliability issues on the Pro X models. But the older more fragile headbands are still on the other models including their flagships.

I've never personally had a problem with Sennheiser headband reliability or had any structural problems in general. In terms of overall quality control and reliability I do find Senns better than Beyers.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #554 of 555

The KA17 is a great little DAC, provided you don't need to use EQ. (It's supported, but I think there are problems with the implementation; it ends up sounding "off," at least on my phone.)

Jun 7, 2024 at 12:38 PM Post #555 of 555

Thanks.

Search for balanced cables for the Sennheiser HD 560S and you should find plenty of options that work with the 620S

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back