The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
May 16, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #3,721 of 3,728
Those RCA you have are nice.

May 17, 2024 at 8:40 AM Post #3,723 of 3,728
Loaded question incoming. For those who have the Aegis (DIY or ZMF version) and OTL tube amp and ZMF dynamic drivers. Do you prefer ZMF DD on the Aegis or on an OTL?

I have the Aegis and thoroughly enjoy my ZMFs on the Aegis but have a nagging feeling that I still want an OTL amp 😅
If you want to dip your toe into the OTL pool, pick up a Valhalla 2 while they're still available. You're not going to find a better deal on a brand new, high quality piece of equipment for $300 than with the Valhalla 2.

May 17, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #3,724 of 3,728
Yeah, if you're around hi-fi long enough, you're bound to have some heat sink scars.
IMG_2361.jpeg

Not hifi, but definitely heat sink scaring. The vertical pipe with the heat sink is a one way heat pipe full of CO2. The much smaller heat sinks on the side of the enclosure are about 25 lbs each. I’ve wiped blood off all of them at one point or another. For scale, the smaller heat sinks are 12” x 36” x 4”

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #3,725 of 3,728
IMG_2361.jpeg
Not hifi, but definitely heat sink scaring. The vertical pipe with the heat sink is a one way heat pipe full of CO2. The much smaller heat sinks on the side of the enclosure are about 25 lbs each. I’ve wiped blood off all of them at one point or another.

I liked this post, but ouch.

May 22, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #3,726 of 3,728
I just want to throw this out there for new ZMF owners who may be looking for a good "cheaper" amp to pair with their new cans that is solid state. Look into the Marantz 22XX series. Doesn't need to be the super high-end ones like the 2265B/70/75. I was able to pick up a great looking 2218 with a wood case for $400. Sounds incredible with the AC. On top of that you get the cool blue lights, EQ and loudness button. Big warm sound :)

May 22, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #3,727 of 3,728
I just want to throw this out there for new ZMF owners who may be looking for a good "cheaper" amp to pair with their new cans that is solid state. Look into the Marantz 22XX series. Doesn't need to be the super high-end ones like the 2265B/70/75. I was able to pick up a great looking 2218 with a wood case for $400. Sounds incredible with the AC. On top of that you get the cool blue lights, EQ and loudness button. Big warm sound :)
I have that same Marantz. Pretty much all vintage receivers are a fantastic match for high impedance headphones. :deadhorse:
You can get a vintage piece with more watts and less cash by some of the less popular brands like Akai, Onkyo, Fisher, Toshiba, etc,,,
Marantz, Sansui and Pioneer receivers are almost always going to set you back more $.

May 22, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #3,728 of 3,728
I have that same Marantz. Pretty much all vintage receivers are a fantastic match for high impedance headphones.*** :deadhorse:
You can get a vintage piece with more watts and less cash by some of the less popular brands like Akai, Onkyo, Fisher, Toshiba, etc,,,
Marantz, Sansui and Pioneer receivers are almost always going to set you back more $.
*** Vintage receivers typically have an added resistor placed within the output stage for the headphone jack -- to raise impedance well above the nominal 4, 8, 16 ohms used for loudspeakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back