The Ethernet cables, Switches and Network related sound thread. Share your listening experience only.
May 22, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #2,206 of 2,212
Yes, my extender is a wifi extender (with 4 ethernet ports). It's the unfortunate reality and I'm hoping I can maximize SQ as much as possible despite that being my case. I do have LPSUs on both the main modem/router and the extender and I've turned off wifi broadcasting from the extender. I've got the extender accepting both 2.4g and 5g wireless bands from the main router.

I just purchased an Ether Regen and will connect as recommended to start:
  • Wifi extender > ~3m ethernet cable > ER > 0.5m ethernet cable > server/streamer
Depending on how that goes, I can experiment with inserting the SOtM isolator somewhere within that chain
Will connect everything this weekend.

First iteration is:
Wifi extender > Meicord Opal > DXE Iso Plus > Meicord Opal > Pink Faun LAN Isolator > EtherRegen > TWL Freedom > Stack Audio SmoothLan > TWL Freedom > Streamer

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 4:03 AM Post #2,207 of 2,212
An RE650 will automatically choose the cleanest broadcast frequency. You should configure it for both 2.4 and 5Ghz and allow it to choose. Disabling the broadcast radio as you've done provides a noticeably cleaner signal.

Finally dug into the settings of the TP Link RE650 wifi extender.

It's now only receiving the 2.4 GHz signal from the router.
And no wifi signal broadcasting from it.
Will only have ethernet signal coming from it to my system.

Looking forward to hearing how this affects playback.

May 22, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #2,209 of 2,212
Will connect everything this weekend.

First iteration is:
Wifi extender > Meicord Opal > DXE Iso Plus > Meicord Opal > Pink Faun LAN Isolator > EtherRegen > TWL Freedom > Stack Audio SmoothLan > TWL Freedom > Streamer
IME, LAN Isolators can have positive and negative effects, depending on quality and placement. I have heard mixed opinions on the DXE isolators for audio. Also, Uptone recommend only the cable in between the ER and streamer. That is what I found when I tried a Network Audio Muon. It was great ahead of the ER, but compromised the sound when used in between the ER and my streamer. Therefore, I would recommend to try this as a second iteration:
  • DXE Iso between your general network and router LAN connection. My thinking here is that ethernet is bi-directional, and the Isolator will prevent noise from downstream devices entering the router
  • Pink Faun between the modem and router (WAN port), to prevent ISP system noise from entering the router
  • SmoothLAN between extender and ER
Is the ER new? If so it will need 100 hours break-in to deliver its potential. What power supply will you use? Looking forward to your findings.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #2,210 of 2,212
1716400350986.png

https://en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/fritzbox-5530-fiber/technical-specifications/

This thing is very interesting as it replaces 2 boxes. GPON and Router.

So this means the fiber cable from the wall goes straight into this as it works as modem/GPON/Router.

Anybody here who has experience with it ?

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #2,211 of 2,212
IME, LAN Isolators can have positive and negative effects, depending on quality and placement. I have heard mixed opinions on the DXE isolators for audio. Also, Uptone recommend only the cable in between the ER and streamer. That is what I found when I tried a Network Audio Muon. It was great ahead of the ER, but compromised the sound when used in between the ER and my streamer. Therefore, I would recommend to try this as a second iteration:
  • DXE Iso between your general network and router LAN connection. My thinking here is that ethernet is bi-directional, and the Isolator will prevent noise from downstream devices entering the router
  • Pink Faun between the modem and router (WAN port), to prevent ISP system noise from entering the router
  • SmoothLAN between extender and ER
Is the ER new? If so it will need 100 hours break-in to deliver its potential. What power supply will you use? Looking forward to your findings.
Thanks Audio Bomber

The EtherRegen is used, so no problems there. Will use a Plixir Elite LPS with it.

I have a Cisco SG110D switch with a Fidelity Audio C4Mk2 clock installed.
Thinking of putting that between my modem and router (Asus RT AX86U Pro).
Was then planning to place an Acoustic Revive RLI 1GB Triple C between modem and router, along with the first DXE Iso Plus.

May 22, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #2,212 of 2,212
Thanks Audio Bomber

The EtherRegen is used, so no problems there. Will use a Plixir Elite LPS with it.

I have a Cisco SG110D switch with a Fidelity Audio C4Mk2 clock installed.
Thinking of putting that between my modem and router (Asus RT AX86U Pro).
Was then planning to place an Acoustic Revive RLI 1GB Triple C between modem and router, along with the first DXE Iso Plus.
Lots of gear! You're in for a boatload of experimentation to find the best configuration. I suggest starting with simple and adding/changing as needed.

Caution, as discussed previously, the router contains a firewall. Any gear connected upstream of the router is an open door to hackers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back