SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 22, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #15,706 of 15,718
I'm using Apple music and downloaded all the music on my memory card and play my music outside offline mode.
It don't drain the battery just as it is playing local music.

May 22, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #15,707 of 15,718
How long will the w1am2's battery last if we use streaming (Tidal or UAPP) with wifi turned on. Airplane mode activated. Google apps disabled. And the screen is off almost all the time?

I have heard and read many reports that Sony's claims of long battery life can only be taken seriously for offline use.

Is it true that with the wifi on and streaming hires the battery evaporates quickly?

How long have you been using it?
Does anyone have this experience and can share?

Thanks!!

Specs below from the manual.
- EQ/DSP have a big hit on battery life.
- High-Res files have a hit on battery life
- Also Online Streaming, Bluetooth Transmitter, screen usage
In short, features/functions which require more CPU usage will reduce battery life. (logical, and the same for any DAP, I believe)

The most battery efficient is: Direct mode, playback from local storage memory. High-Res Streaming Off

If in a situation where long battery life is needed, then change the settings to optimize.
Otherwise, a shorter battery life just needs a recharge at the end of the listening session, which should be OK for most people.
The advantage of the Sony is that it is possible to get long battery life.
Similar to a smart phone, where depending on settings and usage, all day usage can be fine for some, and for others, they will need to carry an external battery pack with them all the time.

***************************************************************************************************************
https://www.sony.com.hk/en/electronics/walkman/nw-wm1am2/specifications

BATTERY LIFE - CONTINUOUS PLAYBACK MUSIC(W.MUSIC APP)
MP3 (128kbps) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 40 hrs,
MP3 (128kbps) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 40 hrs,
FLAC (96kHz / 24bit) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 40 hrs,
FLAC (96kHz / 24bit) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 40 hrs,
FLAC (192kHz / 24bit) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 35 hrs,
FLAC (192kHz / 24bit) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 35 hrs,
DSD (2.8224MHz / 1bit) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 25 hrs,
DSD (2.8224MHz / 1bit) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 15 hrs,
DSD (5.6448MHz / 1bit) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 18 hrs,
DSD (5.6448MHz / 1bit) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 13 hrs

BATTERY LIFE - CONTINUOUS PLAYBACK MUSIC(OTHER MUSIC APP)
MP3 (128kbps) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 18 hrs,
MP3 (128kbps) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 18 hrs
BATTERY LIFE - BLUETOOTH (TRANSMITTER MODE)
MP3 (128kbps) / SBC-Connection pref: Approx. 20 hrs,
FLAC (96Khz/24bit) / LDAC Connection Preferred(Auto): Approx.18 hrs

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #15,708 of 15,718
Specs below from the manual.
- EQ/DSP have a big hit on battery life.
- High-Res files have a hit on battery life
- Also Online Streaming, Bluetooth Transmitter, screen usage
In short, features/functions which require more CPU usage will reduce battery life. (logical, and the same for any DAP, I believe)

The most battery efficient is: Direct mode, playback from local storage memory. High-Res Streaming Off

If in a situation where long battery life is needed, then change the settings to optimize.
Otherwise, a shorter battery life just needs a recharge at the end of the listening session, which should be OK for most people.
The advantage of the Sony is that it is possible to get long battery life.
Similar to a smart phone, where depending on settings and usage, all day usage can be fine for some, and for others, they will need to carry an external battery pack with them all the time.

***************************************************************************************************************
https://www.sony.com.hk/en/electronics/walkman/nw-wm1am2/specifications

BATTERY LIFE - CONTINUOUS PLAYBACK MUSIC(W.MUSIC APP)
MP3 (128kbps) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 40 hrs,
MP3 (128kbps) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 40 hrs,
FLAC (96kHz / 24bit) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 40 hrs,
FLAC (96kHz / 24bit) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 40 hrs,
FLAC (192kHz / 24bit) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 35 hrs,
FLAC (192kHz / 24bit) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 35 hrs,
DSD (2.8224MHz / 1bit) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 25 hrs,
DSD (2.8224MHz / 1bit) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 15 hrs,
DSD (5.6448MHz / 1bit) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 18 hrs,
DSD (5.6448MHz / 1bit) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 13 hrs

BATTERY LIFE - CONTINUOUS PLAYBACK MUSIC(OTHER MUSIC APP)
MP3 (128kbps) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 18 hrs,
MP3 (128kbps) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 18 hrs
BATTERY LIFE - BLUETOOTH (TRANSMITTER MODE)
MP3 (128kbps) / SBC-Connection pref: Approx. 20 hrs,
FLAC (96Khz/24bit) / LDAC Connection Preferred(Auto): Approx.18 hrs
Sony 40hour max rating is probably done without any microSD card inserted which a typical Walkman owner would be utilising. Adding any microsd would make these numbers drop.

May 23, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #15,711 of 15,718
Has anyone run into this bug?song capacity it seems I've gone over the song/format capacity for my M2. After adding more music to my microSD, the library is not showing the total number anymore. I should have >12,000 songs all 16 bit to DSD 256. It's still playing songs fine but it does bug me a bit not being able to see how large my library is.
Do you mean the All Songs folder?
I have a 512GB card full of music and the All Songs folder shows me 1/---- when I start playing.
I'm guessing it can't show the actual total number of songs due to some UI limitation.
When I play a specific album or Folder it shows the correct number of total audio files in that folder or Album.

May 23, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #15,712 of 15,718
Do you mean the All Songs folder?
I have a 512GB card full of music and the All Songs folder shows me 1/---- when I start playing.
I'm guessing it can't show the actual total number of songs due to some UI limitation.
When I play a specific album or Folder it shows the correct number of total audio files in that folder or Album.
Yes, sounds like we have the same problem. I'm new here so I'm not sure how to add pictures. I have 599GB/ 1TB so I would like to add more music but now I'm worried the card or dap might crash or something.

May 23, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #15,713 of 15,718
How long will the w1am2's battery last if we use streaming (Tidal or UAPP) with wifi turned on. Airplane mode activated. Google apps disabled. And the screen is off almost all the time?

I have heard and read many reports that Sony's claims of long battery life can only be taken seriously for offline use.

Is it true that with the wifi on and streaming hires the battery evaporates quickly?

How long have you been using it?
Does anyone have this experience and can share?

Thanks!!
With wifi on and the screen on, the battery dies after 4-5 hours!Sometimes I wonder if my wm1am2 is broken.If I listen sequentially with wifi and screen off, the battery lasts a long time.

I'm sorry, but using wm1am2 with the screen on is a terrible experience.I wonder if this is the case for everyone who uses wifi and the screen is on?

May 23, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #15,715 of 15,718
With wifi on and the screen on, the battery dies after 4-5 hours!Sometimes I wonder if my wm1am2 is broken.If I listen sequentially with wifi and screen off, the battery lasts a long time.

I'm sorry, but using wm1am2 with the screen on is a terrible experience.I wonder if this is the case for everyone who uses wifi and the screen is on?
Same here.

May 23, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #15,716 of 15,718
Could anyone share how much time they can get when using wifi for streaming, but with the screen off… maybe turning on the screen only every now and then to change an album or artist?

Could I get at least 10 hours of battery life on the w1am2?

I'm about to buy a new one, but if the wifi streaming duration with the screen off is less than 7-8 hours, I might have to rethink.

A DAP that has a maximum duration of 40 hours, not being able to reach even 10 hours if you turn on the WiFi, becomes complicated.

May 23, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #15,717 of 15,718
Raven and the gold brick :thumbsup: A rich and organic pairing!
PXL_20240523_183238586.PORTRAIT.jpg

May 23, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #15,718 of 15,718
Could anyone share how much time they can get when using wifi for streaming, but with the screen off… maybe turning on the screen only every now and then to change an album or artist?

Could I get at least 10 hours of battery life on the w1am2?

I'm about to buy a new one, but if the wifi streaming duration with the screen off is less than 7-8 hours, I might have to rethink.

A DAP that has a maximum duration of 40 hours, not being able to reach even 10 hours if you turn on the WiFi, becomes complicated.
Wi-Fi and screen off will give you atleast 15hrs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back