SJY Audio Starry Night Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 28, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #421 of 435
I'm seriously contemplating getting the centrance amp mini as my end game amp but we will see

I know woo audio 😂 but 3k is about the top of my budget lol
I know, I can't drop 9k on an amp either. It would be nice though :wink:
I am looking at Tube amp options between $1k and 3k as well.

Edit: I just dropped 3k on a ZMF Atrium LTD + pads just last week, so that is why the amp would be a 2025 purchase.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #422 of 435
I don't know why, but for some reason this combo just sounds really good:
Wiim Pro > Bifrost 2/64 > Mjolnir 3 > 2 x Gjallarhorn > Moonlight
Feeding them directly from the Mjolnir 3 sounds good too (more detail), but I prefer the Gjallarhorns. Is 30 watts a channel overkill? yes, but it works. :smile:

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:40 PM Post #423 of 435
Been eyeing those pads. Which ones you get?
The universal ones. TBH all the Zmf pads are about the same. Just get their cheapest ones.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #424 of 435
I ordered my first ZMF headphone recently whit a couple extra pads to try out. I will try them on both my Starry Night and Moonlight as well. Do you use your Mjolnir 3 to drive your Starry Night? I still prefer mine powered by 2 x Gjallarhorns (pre-amping them with my Mjolnir 3).
MJ3 can’t drive the Starry Night well. Feels a bit anemic. I used my Flux Mentor stack with ridiculous wattage output. Makes the Starry sounds almost as good as my HEK stealth. If you preamp the MJ3 you’ll lose sound clarity and only get loudness.

MJ3 max output is like 4W at 60 ohms and 2W at 32ohms which is fine for most cans. It can get loud but you don’t have the details and soundstage a high powered amp will give you. Even if you preamp, the max output is still only 2W at 32 ohms.

The JYAudio cans needs high powered amp like my Susvara. I use my Flux Mentor for the Susvara and it works wonders for the Starry Night. The Flux puts out 11W at 32 ohms and my dual stack goes up to 40 Watts.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #425 of 435
A tube amp in on my short list for 2025 purchases, lol. It will take the place of the Burson Soloist 3xp on my desk setup.

Edit: I was eyeing a Valhalla 3, but it seems that it is now on Schiit's back burner.
The Valhalla 2 is available for $299, last call...

Apr 29, 2024 at 2:52 AM Post #426 of 435
MJ3 can’t drive the Starry Night well. Feels a bit anemic. I used my Flux Mentor stack with ridiculous wattage output. Makes the Starry sounds almost as good as my HEK stealth. If you preamp the MJ3 you’ll lose sound clarity and only get loudness.

MJ3 max output is like 4W at 60 ohms and 2W at 32ohms which is fine for most cans. It can get loud but you don’t have the details and soundstage a high powered amp will give you. Even if you preamp, the max output is still only 2W at 32 ohms.

The JYAudio cans needs high powered amp like my Susvara. I use my Flux Mentor for the Susvara and it works wonders for the Starry Night. The Flux puts out 11W at 32 ohms and my dual stack goes up to 40 Watts.
To clarify, I am using the MJ3 as the preamp for the Gjallarhorns. The MJ3 is connected directly to my Bifrost.

Apr 29, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #427 of 435
To clarify, I am using the MJ3 as the preamp for the Gjallarhorns. The MJ3 is connected directly to my Bifrost.
Oh the Gjallarhorn would do it. Though you may want to upgrade your DAC in the future. I have the Bifrost as well but it can’t hold a candle to the Yggy. Your amps will sound different with a more powerful DAC.

Apr 29, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #428 of 435
Oh the Gjallarhorn would do it. Though you may want to upgrade your DAC in the future. I have the Bifrost as well but it can’t hold a candle to the Yggy. Your amps will sound different with a more powerful DAC.
Both the starry night and the moonlight sound wonderful on my ta-22 or my xduo xa10 no additional hardware needed. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #431 of 435
Sorry for the confusion I had meant leather, suede, perf suede, etc.
It depends on how much you sweat and how sensitive your ears are. You want perf if you sweat from prolonged listening and you want leather if you have sensitive ears. The suede will chaff your ears over time. I know people are trying to alter their can’s sonic tuning with their ear pads but with prolonged listening your ear comfort trumps all of that.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #433 of 435
Anyone have the Horizon on pre-order? I have a feeling that it would work well with a good speaker amp given its specs (16 ohm, 89db).

Edit: Granted that most of his headphones sound good with a speaker amp :wink:

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #434 of 435
Anyone have the Horizon on pre-order? I have a feeling that it would work well with a good speaker amp given its specs (16 ohm, 89db).

Edit: Granted that most of his headphones sound good with a speaker amp :wink:

I've got the Horizon coming (sold the Umi - which I do still think is great for its price and against the other planar competition).

My main chain would include a Geshelli Archel 3 Pro which should have good enough power. Understanding is that Horizon is in final stages so it'll be shipped in 1-2 weeks.

May 10, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #435 of 435
Some more on the Horizon front:

1000032172.jpg
1000032173.jpg
1000032174.jpg

Looks like he's getting a lot of variety with his orders to build the various sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back