Schiit Vali 3 : Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #856 of 860
So what do you think of your Vali 3? Edit: saw your more recent post. So with Lyr3, I have far more difficulty telling the difference between tubes than with Vali 3. There are definite differences with this little guy.

Could it be to do with the specific (individual, not general type) tubes you are using in each amplifier ?

I mean, the ones in the Vali 3 might simply be more different to each other than the ones in the Lyr 3.

What tubes have you used in the Vali 3 that gave the biggest difference ?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2024 at 1:16 AM Post #857 of 860
Just got mine but waiting on a "Y" splitter power cord from the Amazon because all the outlets are taken on my power strip.

20240606-140753.jpg

20240606-140818.jpg
Uh-oh. @jonathan c , there may be some unrest brewing in Count Knobula's kingdom. You may need to go bigger....and shinier. 🤣

1717737223424.png

Jun 7, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #860 of 860
So what do you think of your Vali 3? Edit: saw your more recent post. So with Lyr3, I have far more difficulty telling the difference between tubes than with Vali 3. There are definite differences with this little guy.

Could it be to do with the specific (individual, not general type) tubes you are using in each amplifier ?

I mean, the ones in the Vali 3 might simply be more different to each other than the ones in the Lyr 3.

What tubes have you used in the Vali 3 that gave the biggest difference ?

In the vali-3 I believe I can hear the difference and have a preference for a grey glass RCA 6sn7 from 1943 as well as 6N3P-DR vs a collection of 5670s (rca command, GE Jan, Ge 5 star etc) I think these two are … warmer? More on the bottom, less on top. More relaxed? Which is my preference. But the differences are small (if I’m not lying to myself that I can hear them).

I have recently gotten a lyr 3 second hand and am currently cooking an old Russian tube in it: Foton from 1950s. I have not had a chance to try other tubes in it yet. My plan is to try to see if I can tell a Lyr-3 and Vali-3 apart though mostly I just end up listening to Mozart’s requiem or Lully’s Armida and forget about comparing things.

Ow - of note, the old RCA 6SN7 had a very audible hum in the right channel on the Lyr but same tube on the Vali-3 with an adapter was perfectly fine. No idea why.

PS. At the risk of contradicting myself GE Jan 5670w and a GE 5 star are my least favorite “upgrade” tubes. There is something in them that scratches at my ears in the upper frequencies. Maybe it’s just my specific tubes, or my ears, or I’m hallucinating. But I can listen to a 6n3p indefinitely and with the GE tubes after a couple of hours I get annoyed. People seem to like them though, so there is that. Maybe they will get better with time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back