Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
May 22, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #2,942 of 2,952
Playing with using feedback turned on while using the Mjolnir 3 as a preamp. I am going to give it a few days to see if I notice a major difference when I switch back. So far so good though.

In other news I ordered a desk fan to blow air over the pile of Schiit on my desk. It should arrive today.

May 22, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #2,943 of 2,952

In other news I ordered a desk fan to blow air over the pile of Schiit on my desk. It should arrive today.
Someone said it sounds different if one keeps it cool with fans. Maybe you can confirm/deny that?

On the other thread, I asked if fans could affect the sound. The fan itself, it seems, no. However the fan's power supply can feed back into the mains and affect everything. Or so they said. Maybe that's what was heard.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #2,945 of 2,952
Someone said it sounds different if one keeps it cool with fans. Maybe you can confirm/deny that?

On the other thread, I asked if fans could affect the sound. The fan itself, it seems, no. However the fan's power supply can feed back into the mains and affect everything. Or so they said. Maybe that's what was heard.
Mine has been a space heater for a few weeks now, so I guess that is long enough that if any differences are audible I would be able to notice them. lol

May 22, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #2,946 of 2,952
Just preference. Atrium is grander sounding in the bass with some output impedance elevation while it’s more reserved from very low OI amp. IMHO, it's not just output impedance, but full tube amp circuit along with higher output impedance do more synergetic things to Atrium while planar drivers and tube synergy needs to be a hybrid configuration to extract the absolute best out of it (e.g. Riviera AIC-10 Bal and Hifiman EF1000 to Susvara, both hybrid amps) due to planars excelling on low impedance amps

Agreed. Tubes bring their own magic, but impedance matters a lot.

Amps with high output impedance will vary their output voltage significantly as the load impedance approaches the output impedance. Dynamic headphones have an impedance peak at the resonant frequency of the driver (generally around 100 hz). A high impedance amp will tend to emphasize that resonant frequency if the overall headphone impedance is close to the output impedance of the amp. That can work really well with some headphones and not so well with others.

High output impedance affects Planar phones as well, but differently. High output impedance means the amp isn’t so good at delivering current. A lot of planars will sound compressed on high output impedance amps.

All that being said, the output impedance is so low on the MJ3 that it’s a complete non issue unless you want to color the sound from the headphones. That’s where having a high quality equalizer can be very helpful.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #2,947 of 2,952
Agreed! That is why the first thing I wrote with go tubes or MJ3 for Atrium is preference :)

May 22, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #2,949 of 2,952
Agreed. Tubes bring their own magic, but impedance matters a lot.

Amps with high output impedance will vary their output voltage significantly as the load impedance approaches the output impedance. Dynamic headphones have an impedance peak at the resonant frequency of the driver (generally around 100 hz). A high impedance amp will tend to emphasize that resonant frequency if the overall headphone impedance is close to the output impedance of the amp. That can work really well with some headphones and not so well with others.

High output impedance affects Planar phones as well, but differently. High output impedance means the amp isn’t so good at delivering current. A lot of planars will sound compressed on high output impedance amps.

All that being said, the output impedance is so low on the MJ3 that it’s a complete non issue unless you want to color the sound from the headphones. That’s where having a high quality equalizer can be very helpful.
This is a great and informative post. Appreciate you.

May 23, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #2,950 of 2,952
vibrates a bit and "sounds like a cheap refrigerator" are hardly the same thing
I got great advice on my PM by other forum user to put MJ3 on Vibrapod Cones. It reduces the buzz significantly.

Thank you bro again!!

May 23, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #2,951 of 2,952
I got great advice on my PM by other forum user to put MJ3 on Vibrapod Cones. It reduces the buzz significantly.

Thank you bro again!!
oh, wow, that is a great idea. I run them on my Mentor just to provide spacing between it and my Yggy but sounds like for a Mjolnir is a must.

May 23, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #2,952 of 2,952
oh, wow, that is a great idea. I run them on my Mentor just to provide spacing between it and my Yggy but sounds like for a Mjolnir is a must.
The MJ3’s power supply is overbuilt and picky i see, the building i live in was built about 5 years ago so i imagine there’s some sort of power filtering going on because i get zero noise and no vibration from my MJ3. When i hear of people using dc blockers and things of that nature i just think of how crazy the power supply is, it’s a boatload of transformers, chokes, and caps in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back