RAAL 1995 headphones, Magna and Immanis
May 23, 2024 at 7:08 AM Post #1,921 of 1,932
Before he writes anything, let me use this chance to ask you whether you received enough praise for the design.
I am especially referring to grills!

I wanted to write that before, but I guess I forgot.
I am not closely related to sound, except that I have been addicted to music my whole life.
I am no audiophile; I am a passionate music lover.

But I am professionally related to visuals, and what brought my attention to the Immanis/Magna (except we are neighbours :) ) were the grills!

You have made, possibly, the most beautiful grills in the whole headphones industry.
I say possibly because I haven't seen them all, but I have seen enough that I am not afraid to say things like this.

I hope everyone recognizes this because you did a very special and unique thing visually!

So, I am leaving the territory to the Vampire to show up:)

My garlic is ready :)))

Cheers!
hear hear! :)

May 23, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #1,922 of 1,932
Thank you very much for the compliment, i think the same!
Nobody specifically mentioned the grilles, but everyone liked the looks.
Since the grilles being at least 30% of it, it must mean they liked them, I hope.

Ive spent a lot of time on design of the grilles and there's many discarded designs.
Most important thing was to have the highest perforation % possible, for the least amount of reflected sound back to the driver.

I've also added a bit of symbolism there...the garland around the edge is a laurel wreath, a symbol of achievemt and victory.
The Immanis has an added detail, a shining Sun on top of the wreath, symbolizing the victory of light over darkness, enlightment over ignorance and ultimately, spreading warm rays of peace over us all.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
May 23, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #1,923 of 1,932
That's an interesting result for DAVE owners.
So was DAVE directly driving Immanis without even an interface transformer?
Which cable was used for this?

Would you say this was a viable long-term combination? Assuming low to moderate volume levels.
We have four, RCD to Amp, cable options:
1) 4-pin XLR to 4-pin XLR
2) 4-pin XLR to 6.3mm
3) 4-pin XLR to banana
4) 4-pin XLR to spades

May 23, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #1,924 of 1,932

So, I am leaving the territory to the Vampire to show up:)

My garlic is ready :)))

Cheers!
BTW, our Vampire buddy, actually eats garlic!!! He's invincible!
And speaking of food (again), I've had pork sausages for a dinner last night! Good ones! Courtesy of my wonderful hosts!

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
May 23, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #1,926 of 1,932
Nobody specifically mentioned the grilles, but everyone liked the looks.
Well, that's the big minus for the whole audio world...but you did it!
I can see a lot of thoughtful work on them; I can see that they are not just grills.

I am good at what I do, more to say, I understand visuals.
So, a lot of credit to you because you showed a lot of talent, not just for the audio but also for the visuals!

I am glad that I pointed that out first! Don't forget that! hahaha
And speaking of food (again), I've had pork sausages for a dinner last night! Good ones! Courtesy of my wonderful hosts!
Hmm, but we forgot many types of amazing Serbian cheese (Sjenički, Homoljski, Zlatarski, Miročki, Šarski sir, Pirotski kačkavalj)!
Israelis would love it!!! I do!!! :)))

Cheers!

May 23, 2024 at 12:05 PM Post #1,927 of 1,932
I better not speak for himself, but I got a feeling that it was a certain shift for our XVampireX friend, that he needed to adapt to.
The high-end speaker fellows that were present had no need for any adaptation, as they are used to a normal tone balance that Immanis shares with most high-end speakers, so their transition was immediate and seamless.
One head-fier that dropped by later, a guitar player, said that whenever he buys a new set of headphones or IEMs, he immediately gets on with fiddling with EQ, but this was the first time that he had no such need...
It was interesting to watch how the curve of acceptance speed depends on previous background and years in the hobby, and how it relates to expectations.
But I digress...I'm also eagerly awaiting what the XVampireX will write.

It was definitely a different experience from my Caldera.

First of all I'll probably preface this: It's a wonderful headphone and I really enjoyed it. It brought many emotions, even though I had a bad nights sleep awaiting that day (And dreaming of a failed visit) but there was none of that.

While there was not really a wow from the first second, it has grown on me throughout the day, some mental burn in. That could explain why in show conditions and not a private audition, it's much harder to understand what these headphones are all about.

The headphones are all about: Detail, Speed, Dynamics, True to the Recording (No BS).

I unfortunately did not have the chance to listen to the system that I wanted which would be the AC Ithaka through the Auris Headonia 300B AE, but I think that would be a big win and synergy for the Immanis. Both me and Alexandar liked the Headonia 300B and it's a great potential for a next purchase.

I've heard different tracks in different genres, including Classical, Rock and Metal, Electronica a bit, and a few others.

One thing I've commented on during the day was when I was wowed at how Immanis make the Dune soundtrack (First movie) sound with all the extra details, speed, dynamics. I've never heard it like that and I've got both it and the Sketchbook soundtrack and heard it multiple times.

The soundstage wasn't massive but it was there and the Imaging really was precise, including vocals that were crystal clear and present, and just like others said, they felt like they were coming from the front instead of just barely in the middle or back.

The sound felt like it had a ton of air in it, in terms of sound separation and being able to move freely in the space.

Comparing Magna and Immanis bass, I didn't feel like Immanis had less of it and it was hitting like a truck when called for. It was also very deep into the low octaves.

The sound was analog as analog can be and there was no grain, what you see (recording) is what you get.

However... That also means that if the track had too much treble energy, unfortunately, it showed.

I'll still need to do some mental burn in to it when I get it, on my system and on my terms. I definitely don't regret my choice.

Side-Note, I've also heard the Tungsten DS that someone brought, it wasn't anywhere on the same level as Caldera or Immanis, as in it really was disappointing for me.
And I was really surprised how my Caldera scales further from an even better amp.

IMG-20240522-WA0017.jpeg

Attachments

• 20240522_173850.jpg
    20240522_173850.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240522_173843.jpg
    20240522_173843.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240522_155029.jpg
    20240522_155029.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240522_155010.jpg
    20240522_155010.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240522_154956.jpg
    20240522_154956.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #1,928 of 1,932
We have four, RCD to Amp, cable options:
1) 4-pin XLR to 4-pin XLR
2) 4-pin XLR to 6.3mm
3) 4-pin XLR to banana
4) 4-pin XLR to spades
Is RAAL offering also 4-pin XLR to 4.4mm option for powerful DAPs like iBasso DX MAX series, or suitable accessories (adapter) for interconnection as depicted in that picture below ?

If not, would any adapter 4.4mm male to XLR female work properly ? Just like this one : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003708305981.html ?

Attachments

• 20240405_040738.jpg
    20240405_040738.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #1,929 of 1,932
BTW, our Vampire buddy, actually eats garlic!!! He's invincible!
Yeah, and I'm also not afraid of Silver Cables it seems :p

I hope you also had a taste of Sabich like I told you?

Regarding the Visuals, we did talk about it, I didn't really notice the sun, I'm a vampire for a reason, and that's one of them, I hate the sun, because of the heat of where I live, you on the other hand, can't handle a bit of AC :p

I've mentioned that they are really pretty, and also that my colleagues mentioned that they are beautiful and should be put in a museum, not as a history artifact, but to see how pretty they are, an art piece... maybe an art gallery is what they meant :)

Oh, one more thing, they are super comfortable, despite their weight. But then again, I've been wearing my Caldera on full work days so 8 hours of 500+ grams of weight and add another 100 grams, not too bad.

The Interface as a headphone stand is very handy and it works extremely well, also!

May 23, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #1,930 of 1,932
It was definitely a different experience from my Caldera.

First of all I'll probably preface this: It's a wonderful headphone and I really enjoyed it. It brought many emotions, even though I had a bad nights sleep awaiting that day (And dreaming of a failed visit) but there was none of that.

While there was not really a wow from the first second, it has grown on me throughout the day, some mental burn in. That could explain why in show conditions and not a private audition, it's much harder to understand what these headphones are all about.

The headphones are all about: Detail, Speed, Dynamics, True to the Recording (No BS).

I unfortunately did not have the chance to listen to the system that I wanted which would be the AC Ithaka through the Auris Headonia 300B AE, but I think that would be a big win and synergy for the Immanis. Both me and Alexandar liked the Headonia 300B and it's a great potential for a next purchase.

I've heard different tracks in different genres, including Classical, Rock and Metal, Electronica a bit, and a few others.

One thing I've commented on during the day was when I was wowed at how Immanis make the Dune soundtrack (First movie) sound with all the extra details, speed, dynamics. I've never heard it like that and I've got both it and the Sketchbook soundtrack and heard it multiple times.

The soundstage wasn't massive but it was there and the Imaging really was precise, including vocals that were crystal clear and present, and just like others said, they felt like they were coming from the front instead of just barely in the middle or back.

The sound felt like it had a ton of air in it, in terms of sound separation and being able to move freely in the space.

Comparing Magna and Immanis bass, I didn't feel like Immanis had less of it and it was hitting like a truck when called for. It was also very deep into the low octaves.

The sound was analog as analog can be and there was no grain, what you see (recording) is what you get.

However... That also means that if the track had too much treble energy, unfortunately, it showed.

I'll still need to do some mental burn in to it when I get it, on my system and on my terms. I definitely don't regret my choice.

Side-Note, I've also heard the Tungsten DS that someone brought, it wasn't anywhere on the same level as Caldera or Immanis, as in it really was disappointing for me.
And I was really surprised how my Caldera scales further from an even better amp.

IMG-20240522-WA0017.jpeg
Thanks for sharing impressions.

I've been listening to DS this evening which is on loan. Could you share some short thoughts on the main points of difference between the two?

May 23, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #1,931 of 1,932
Shipping out will be spread throughout the whole next week. We will ship 16 units including 3 demos for dealers.
Then, in the week starting with 10th of June, another batch like this one, and so on...
I was #21 last I checked, so it sounds like I hopefully should be in that batch that goes out the week of June 10th :L3000:

Can't wait! Got this freshly restored Sansui AU-X11 ready to test with it. Second pic is everything I replaced inside.
Loving what it did with my STAX, added a lot of impact, can only imagine Immanis on this retro beast...

Attachments

• 438083521_429605319862508_6603232527381877682_n.jpg
    438083521_429605319862508_6603232527381877682_n.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 0
  • GOJDKXAXYAAXejk.jpeg
    GOJDKXAXYAAXejk.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
May 23, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #1,932 of 1,932
Thanks for sharing impressions.

I've been listening to DS this evening which is on loan. Could you share some short thoughts on the main points of difference between the two?

I've heard the Tungsten DS for about 5-10 minutes on the Headonia 300B system, that amp has more than enough power to drive whatever headphone.
The bass wasn't there, the sound was soft bodied, there was a decent stage but the overall tonality, just didn't like it, like I said, the Caldera for me wins in every way, I'm going to be keeping both Caldera and the Immanis, Caldera as backup for the extra bad recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back