Popular Classical Music
May 19, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #8,732 of 8,735
Thanks Luis, it is always good to hear about the concerts that you go to. I might pluck up the courage to go to a concert again in the next few months. I used to meet Her Lightness after work most often in the Shelbourne Hotel on St. Stephens Green, which is in the center of Dublin city and is only a short walk away from the NCH, National Concert Hall, Dublin. We met most Friday's for many years and had a glass of vino and a meal before going to the concert. Most often on a Friday it would be the NSO, which is the National Symphony Orchestra but sometimes on other days it would be the NCO, National Concert Orchestra, which often had the addition of singers, etc. I have not been to a concert since Jan 2020. On Friday 13th, Dec 2019 having broken an ear, I stopped booking concerts and only went to one or two in Jan 2020 before COVID 19 cancelled the few remaining concerts that we had booked. We went to so many concerts over more than 20 years, that we don't really miss it much. Her Lightness now has little interest in going to any further concerts. We tend to socialize at home at the weekends, listening to music and eating plenty of healthy food, washed down with a few sips too many of the old vino.

This a starter that we had yesterday, prepared by Madam, which was peeled tomatoes, smoked salmon with some pulped avocado below and some pulped black olives and grapes. She has such patience making stuff, usually looking out to the back garden. We have bird feeders and our garden is bombarded by Magpies dive bombing the birds constantly. We saw a bluetit being taken during the week, luckily it does not happen often and we knock on the window to scare off the Magpies and sometimes birds of prey, like sparrow hawks and Kestrels.

20240518_153407.jpg

'This piece is also known as Chopin - Spring Waltz, but actually it's Mariage d'Amour, that was composed by Paul de Senneville and arranged by George Davidson. The composition of Mariage d'Amour was popularized by Richard Clayderman.'

Passacaglia - Handel Halvorsen

More of Olga's videos here

May 21, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #8,733 of 8,735
Hi John,
very personal decision if attending concerts is worth it or not. I have been to concerts all of my life but for many years I did not attend regularly classical concerts but very few times every year. I actually sort of rediscovered classical music through an invitation by my sister in 2019. She told me a year in advance in 2019 that she was going to invite me to a concert by the Wiener Philarmoniker. I remember I started to listen again to pieces, started to attend regularly to concerts and then came the pandemic and the Wiener Philarmoniker concert never took place. Then I got a season ticket for the national orchestra and have attended many concerts in the last three years. The offer in Madrid is pretty impressive. I cannot possibly attend all the concerts I would like to. Working, money and with other activities I have settled now with maximum one concert per week. Otherwise I do not really dig it so much. Unfortunatelly many great concerts tend to concentrate in some weeks, mainly in January, February, while other weeks have no concert at all.
My wife and I love to attend concerts many Fridays when we have the season ticket. It is for us the start of the weekend and time to relax and dig the music. Afterwards sometimes we have dinner out or at home but always with a bit of Spanish wine or in my case sometimes beer.

Here some beautiful music...

Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2 / Lars Vogt, Boian Videnoff - Mannheimer Philharmoniker​

May 22, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #8,735 of 8,735

Sir Simon Rattle dirigiert Mozart | Elbphilharmonie LIVE​

// PROGRAMM00:00 Intro
06:33 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Sinfonie Es-Dur KV 543 no 39
40:09 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Sinfonie g-Moll KV 550 no 40– Pause –
1:37:09 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – Sinfonie C-Dur KV 551 no 41 »Jupiter«

Mahler Chamber Orchestra
Sir Simon Rattle | Dirigent

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back