NEW HiBy R4
Jun 6, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #916 of 918
Both are excellent players, the R4 can't be beat price/performance. That bieng said I have been using the DX180 for the last few days and am finding the iBasso level of details is bringing out richer neauances to the same IEM'S with greater clarity especially in the top end.

Soon I will have the R6iii here to compare as I think that will be a closer comparison.
I do find some Hiby players like the R6 PRO ii pushed the mids forward a bit.
The DX180 is so far dead neutral more will be revealed when I sit down to compare daps in its review and the Hiby R6iii.
I am just curious. The on-paper specs regarding the core specs - CPU, DAC/Amp chips, OS, etc are quite close IMO. Which part of the DX180 gives it the edge over R4 regarding sound quality? Are the quad dac CS chips better than the quad dac ESS?

I'm interested to know because this will somehow influence my decision to buy it.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2024 at 11:54 AM Post #917 of 918
So, your intent to buy the DX180 is more influenced by your personal preferences than by actual experience. Most discoveries require experimentation. I reviewed all the video reviews on the most popular YouTube audiophile reviewers' channels and websites and read every comment here in Head-fi regarding the R4. Then, I made the decision. Good luck!
Well to experiment you have to get your hands on one. As I stated I never buy a DAP on first release and I am not looking to get a DAP right at this moment. So I can afford to get impressions from reviews and posts. I also want to make sure there are no issues which most Chinese DAP's seem to have on first release. I would like to purchase from bloomaudio when the time comes to get a warranty. There are still some questions for me regarding a North American volume cap so I would like to get confirmation on whether it will come with it if I buy from a North American dealer and if not active on first release will it come in a firmware update later.

Once I know there are no issues to be fixed and it has had any needed firmware updates released without a volume cap then I will take the plunge. We are just a few months from Black Friday and I would bet bloomaudio being a US dealer would have some deals. When you can't demo without importing all you can really do is get the DAP that fits your preferences and meets your needs the best as no DAP will be perfect. Honestly I don't anticipate there being much difference in sound quality between all the DAP's in this price range.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #918 of 918
Well to experiment you have to get your hands on one. As I stated I never buy a DAP on first release and I am not looking to get a DAP right at this moment. So I can afford to get impressions from reviews and posts. I also want to make sure there are no issues which most Chinese DAP's seem to have on first release. I would like to purchase from bloomaudio when the time comes to get a warranty. There are still some questions for me regarding a North American volume cap so I would like to get confirmation on whether it will come with it if I buy from a North American dealer and if not active on first release will it come in a firmware update later.

Once I know there are no issues to be fixed and it has had any needed firmware updates released without a volume cap then I will take the plunge. We are just a few months from Black Friday and I would bet bloomaudio being a US dealer would have some deals. When you can't demo without importing all you can really do is get the DAP that fits your preferences and meets your needs the best as no DAP will be perfect. Honestly I don't anticipate there being much difference in sound quality between all the DAP's in this price range.
Makes sense!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back