McChanson amps tube rolling thread
May 23, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #631 of 645
@David A Silva @VanHai Hahah, yes exactly. :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile:
My name is Greg and I'm also a tubeaholic.
Let's all meet in the middle in some country and have nice tube chats without our wives.:innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:

I pulled the trigger on the 6J5 Rca and Raytheon today and the pair of 6C5‘s as well, the seller approached me because I was paying too much shipping on eBay and I asked for a pair of 6K6’s he still had.
They are also 6K6 Neotron.
Never heard of them before, anyone know them?
The first tubes I found were Made in France, they could possibly be Visseaux.

The new caps are now running in the 4h and have been remarkable since I put the headphones on, although they are still new.
The first 1h was a bit undefined but that subsided in the 2nd hour.
Auteur sounds very good with them, I've hardly heard it this good with them.
Very good bass control, super strong midrange and wonderful highs so far.
It's quite similar on Atrium, only 2 lanes better.
As tubes I used Kt63 Gec,6bw4 Haltron and 12At7 Rca JRC to burn in the tubes at the same time.
Later the 6550 Rca will be used with the Brimar 13DE9.
To be honest, I don't know if it makes sense because the cap sounds good straight away.
The Mysterious cap has replaced the Mundorf SGO in the case.
I will try to handle it sensitively.
Since none of you should doubt the decision in favour of the Mundorf.
In fact, there was always something about the Mundorf caps that bothered me, even in the Euforia.
Nevertheless, I wanted to give the SGO a fair chance, although it suits my personal taste as a basic sound.
But here and there something was missing from the personal side.
The slightly undefined bass range of the Mundorf sometimes bothered me, the mids and vocals were often good, the last mile was rarely missing, if it was then it was forgivable, the treble range was definitely missing 2 miles.
Here it always seemed to me that the curtain from the theatre was never fully open but only 3/4.
Dynamics, macro, definition and detail were often always dependent on the recording, and the last part I don't want to worry about is recordings and perhaps also tube-dependent.
To put it briefly, the new caps are what I personally would have liked the Mundorf to sound like.
Although it's quite early to say this, it's what I noticed directly in the first 3 hours.
And this cap actually scratches the Vcap CuTF a bit, although I would roughly say that both are different in presentation and the way music is reproduced is different.
In fact, I still have to give things some time.
As this tube combo might be a perfect match, it might be completely different with another tube combo.

The conversion was a bit tricky this time in the Junior.Eric would certainly do it very well if he rebuilt it.Since I had shortened the Vcaps a bit and the new caps were not necessarily generous with the wire, I had to play a bit and create what space I could.It went well again this time and will also be the last conversion I have made.
No more new caps, if then only for a new amplifier like S Ultimate or GemS.
The Ultimate will stay like this as long as there are no problems with the caps.
In the Mini Ultimate, the size of the cap could possibly be a problem due to its size.

May 23, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #632 of 645
I'm sorry Deleeh, I can only find my E80CC:s from the fifties right now and they have D-getters and thick glass with pinched waist. I have a couple of 'modern' versions like yours too, somewhere. They also have 'ring' or 'halo' getters but I don't remeber the size of these. I will look for them but the only way for me to see where they were made is to check the codes. I only have Philips made versions from Heerlen and Valvo and no Tungsram Hungary.
One of my old versions has the same red Valvo branding as yours and is coded Philips Heerlen, Holland, March 1957. Another has the white Mullard logo and is coded Heerlen September 1959. I don't find a Valvo version right now. Too many tubes and boxes and wives to keep them in order.
No problem, thank you anyway.:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:
Oh, you speak from experience about the woman, it's almost the same for me.

@David A Silva

I just remembered, 12Au7/6Sn7 if you have any should sound a little less intense unless the 6J5 are a little lower in their Mu amplification as a driver tube together with the EL84.
12At7 is slightly too harsh for me personally, even with the Zmf it can be borderline.

May 23, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #633 of 645
@David A Silva @VanHai Hahah, yes exactly. :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile: :gs1000smile:
My name is Greg and I'm also a tubeaholic.
Let's all meet in the middle in some country and have nice tube chats without our wives.:innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:

I pulled the trigger on the 6J5 Rca and Raytheon today and the pair of 6C5‘s as well, the seller approached me because I was paying too much shipping on eBay and I asked for a pair of 6K6’s he still had.
They are also 6K6 Neotron.
Never heard of them before, anyone know them?
The first tubes I found were Made in France, they could possibly be Visseaux.

The new caps are now running in the 4h and have been remarkable since I put the headphones on, although they are still new.
The first 1h was a bit undefined but that subsided in the 2nd hour.
Auteur sounds very good with them, I've hardly heard it this good with them.
Very good bass control, super strong midrange and wonderful highs so far.
It's quite similar on Atrium, only 2 lanes better.
As tubes I used Kt63 Gec,6bw4 Haltron and 12At7 Rca JRC to burn in the tubes at the same time.
Later the 6550 Rca will be used with the Brimar 13DE9.
To be honest, I don't know if it makes sense because the cap sounds good straight away.
The Mysterious cap has replaced the Mundorf SGO in the case.
I will try to handle it sensitively.
Since none of you should doubt the decision in favour of the Mundorf.
In fact, there was always something about the Mundorf caps that bothered me, even in the Euforia.
Nevertheless, I wanted to give the SGO a fair chance, although it suits my personal taste as a basic sound.
But here and there something was missing from the personal side.
The slightly undefined bass range of the Mundorf sometimes bothered me, the mids and vocals were often good, the last mile was rarely missing, if it was then it was forgivable, the treble range was definitely missing 2 miles.
Here it always seemed to me that the curtain from the theatre was never fully open but only 3/4.
Dynamics, macro, definition and detail were often always dependent on the recording, and the last part I don't want to worry about is recordings and perhaps also tube-dependent.
To put it briefly, the new caps are what I personally would have liked the Mundorf to sound like.
Although it's quite early to say this, it's what I noticed directly in the first 3 hours.
And this cap actually scratches the Vcap CuTF a bit, although I would roughly say that both are different in presentation and the way music is reproduced is different.
In fact, I still have to give things some time.
As this tube combo might be a perfect match, it might be completely different with another tube combo.

The conversion was a bit tricky this time in the Junior.Eric would certainly do it very well if he rebuilt it.Since I had shortened the Vcaps a bit and the new caps were not necessarily generous with the wire, I had to play a bit and create what space I could.It went well again this time and will also be the last conversion I have made.
No more new caps, if then only for a new amplifier like S Ultimate or GemS.
The Ultimate will stay like this as long as there are no problems with the caps.
In the Mini Ultimate, the size of the cap could possibly be a problem due to its size.
It is very likely that the Neotron is a rebranded Visseaux. You can go to Google Images and type in Visseaux 6K6 and see if they look the same.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Vis...EBmAIAoAIAmAMAkgcAoAfoAg&sclient=gws-wiz-serp

May 23, 2024 at 3:37 PM Post #634 of 645
No problem, thank you anyway.:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

@David A Silva

I just remembered, 12Au7/6Sn7 if you have any should sound a little less intense unless the 6J5 are a little lower in their Mu amplification as a driver tube together with the EL84.
12At7 is slightly too harsh for me personally, even with the Zmf it can be borderline.
Thanks @Deleeh , I will check it out!👍🙏

May 23, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #635 of 645
May 23, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #636 of 645
I had a blast session this morning. Turned on my 4 amps and listened simultaneously with 2 switch boxes to see who was zooming who.

DNA Sonett 2 : Tronal Japanese 5AR4 (Rectifier) and Super Tube 6H30-DR (Input)

Woo Audio WA22 2nd Gen : TS 5998 (Power) Mullard GZ 34 (Rec) and Amperex 6201 (Driver)

Ultrasonic Studios Oblivion : A quad 6S19P (Output) and Telefunkun 12AX7 Long Plate (Input)

Super UltimatE : Genalex Gold Lion GZ34 (Rec) Telefunken EL12 Spez (Power) and 5A/152M (Driver)

I changed so many power tubes on the UltimatE, and it ran neck to neck with the other 3 amps. Especially with DNA Sonett 2. Finally, with EL 12 Spez, it pulled ahead. Not a landslide, but like a 1/2 foot ahead. Matt is right about the EL 12 Spez. It is a spacious, airy, rich and very dynamic tube.

It's easy to see your preferred sound signature. Looking at all the amps with the tubes (apart from the Sonett which I have never sampled) they are all revealing, clarity and details laden. Those are my preference too.

I don't think I've paired c3g with EL12 spez (Tesla) before so seeing what you did, I gave it a try and it's good ! My favourite drivers are in the slots. If I have to nominate my favourite drivers, they would be c3g and ECC35.

IMG_9370.jpg

May 23, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #640 of 645
@Deleeh if what I think you install as a cap is true, I'm amazed you managed to squeeze it into the Junior chassis. FT3 or K72 are very long caps with almost no leads. You have to make your own leads. I saw Eric ripped the Miflex caps out of where it resided and in the process dislodged all other neighbouring solder joints. Ouch.

But he got it in good and it's sitting right next to the Mundorf Supreme SGO 1.0 uf. FT3 is is 0.22 uf. Despite the difference in uf, I find no deficiencies in either caps but the FT3 has been firing away for close to 2 weeks now and I didn't feel like switching it to Mundorf.

May 23, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #641 of 645
And very soon 5A/152M :L3000:. I am missing ECC35 in my inventory. How do you compare ECC35 and RCA 5691?

I have a pair of near new RCA 5691 branded GE but it doesn't come close to ECC35 according to my ears. If you have to get ECC35, get the long glass, short base version.

I have quite a few 6SL7 equivalent (70 mu) but ECC35 gain is higher than any of them. I don't know why because ECC35 is a premier 6SL7.

I have Brimar 6SL7gt red letters, Tung Sol 6SU7gty, GE 5691 and Sylvania 6SL7gt vt229.

Part of the reason for my wanting to get 5a/152m is to compare it with my c3g and I prefer c3g as drivers because I have far too many good power tubes to use c3g as power tubes. :relaxed:

May 23, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #642 of 645
A year on with the Super Gold Ultimate and my love for it has not diminished. It has just grown more and more. It is the sound. As much as I love Odyssey and Oblivion, it is Ultimate that I power on everyday.

May 23, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #643 of 645

@David A Silva

Just looked up online. 12AU7 and 6J5 have an average mu of 20. May differ a bit from the individual tubes I have. I will swap in a 12AU7 after I break in the EL84 a bit.👌
I knight you Sir MuMeister!!!👍🙏

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #644 of 645
Just looked up online. 12AU7 and 6J5 have an average mu of 20. May differ a bit from the individual tubes I have. I will swap in a 12AU7 after I break in the EL84 a bit.👌
I knight you Sir MuMeister!!!👍🙏

12AU7, 6J5, 6SN7, EL11, EL3N all have mu of 20. That reminds me, Eric passed me a 12AY7 - mu of 40. It's in now with EL12 spez. What can I say. Every tube sound good on Ultimate.

IMG_9371.jpg

May 23, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #645 of 645
12AU7, 6J5, 6SN7, EL11, EL3N all have mu of 20. That reminds me, Eric passed me a 12AY7 - mu of 40. It's in now with EL12 spez. What can I say. Every tube sound good on Ultimate.

IMG_9371.jpg
Eric sent me a 12AV7 that has a mu of 37. I have had good results with a similar tube that has a mu of 47. To me it seems to be more an art than science how to match up drivers with power tubes in relation to the mu - trial and error.
On the other hand, it seems to me that some people have some kind of formula in mind when they match up input and output tubes. Perhaps someone can explain to me if there is a way to predict the synergy between input and output tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back