Low Pass freq for crossover for LSR305 for adding subs
May 11, 2024 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
I got a PB-1000 to add the subs to LSR305 speakers. Anybody know the cross over frequency for low pass filter for the subwoofer addition? Is it 50 or 80hz?

I found this response online. Should the crossover be at 50hz? Or low pass filter on the subs to be 50hz?

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 5
80hz is is where bass loses its directionality so that’s generally where subs are crossed over. Location flexibility with a sub also provides options to address room modes. The location of your main speakers may not be ideal for bass reproduction.

Subs are able to produce more bass that the majority of speakers so it’s a case of best transducer for the job. I’d recommend starting at 80hz, figure out the best location for your sub, then adjust from there.

May 11, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 5
If your sub is powered, crossing over at 80 instead of 50 will take a load off your mains. Bass takes power, and you want to use the sub to make it easier on the mains.

May 15, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 5
80hz is is where bass loses its directionality so that’s generally where subs are crossed over. Location flexibility with a sub also provides options to address room modes. The location of your main speakers may not be ideal for bass reproduction.

Subs are able to produce more bass that the majority of speakers so it’s a case of best transducer for the job. I’d recommend starting at 80hz, figure out the best location for your sub, then adjust from there.
I found the sound a bit too thick when I set to 80hz, and tried a youtube sound sweep, and notice significant energy starting around 50hz. So, I cut off my subs at 50hz.

May 15, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 5
You might want to set it to 80 and just turn down the gain on the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back