iFi Zen DAC (V2, V2 Signature) vs. old iDSD Nano
May 10, 2024 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

johncarm

100+ Head-Fier
I'm interested in getting an iFi Zen DAC V2 or V2 Signature.

I have an old iDSD Nano (not Black Label) which a very talented technician modified and created a super HQ 5V LPS for, and it's a very high performer. Very musical and good extension/resolution. (Not stellar, but good for the money - it was a $600 mod on top of the $200 iDSD, so $800 for a great DAC.)

I'm interested in whether iFi has improved the performance in the Zen DAC series (such as V2 or V2 signature). I would have my technician modify the Zen DAC as well and use the same LPS.

I'm only asking about the stock sound.. if iFi has improved the sound (both iDSD and Zen DAC use Burr-Brown chips, not sure if the same chip) then it's likely to be improved in the mod as well.

Any opinions on whether the Zen DAC is a step forward from the iDSD?

Only asking about the stock version - obviously no one else has done my mods. I also have an unmodified iDSD Nano. I hooked that up to my very resolving headphone system and was amazed by how musical it was. Everything was very musically expressive.

May 20, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #2 of 2
I'm interested in getting an iFi Zen DAC V2 or V2 Signature.

I have an old iDSD Nano (not Black Label) which a very talented technician modified and created a super HQ 5V LPS for, and it's a very high performer. Very musical and good extension/resolution. (Not stellar, but good for the money - it was a $600 mod on top of the $200 iDSD, so $800 for a great DAC.)

I'm interested in whether iFi has improved the performance in the Zen DAC series (such as V2 or V2 signature). I would have my technician modify the Zen DAC as well and use the same LPS.

I'm only asking about the stock sound.. if iFi has improved the sound (both iDSD and Zen DAC use Burr-Brown chips, not sure if the same chip) then it's likely to be improved in the mod as well.

Any opinions on whether the Zen DAC is a step forward from the iDSD?

Only asking about the stock version - obviously no one else has done my mods. I also have an unmodified iDSD Nano. I hooked that up to my very resolving headphone system and was amazed by how musical it was. Everything was very musically expressive.
Not sure if you are aware of the thread created by Thor who is the creator of Zen DAC.

On the thread, he gave some ideas on how to make the Zen DAC and CAN sound better.

I have no experience regarding the iDSD Nano but I did follow his suggestions on making a better LPS and modifying the regular Zen DAC v2 to v2 Signature.

All I can say is that the Signature sounds much better than the regular one. If u know someone who can mod it for you, it would be cost effective to buy a regular and mod it into Signature.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back