Final Audio D8000 Planar Magnetic Headphone
May 8, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #4,876 of 4,890
what would be a complementary headphone to D8K Pros.
I am thinking Verite Open, any suggestions would be very welcome.
As much as I love the VO, I'd have to go with the Atrium Open. It's natural, big analog sound makes even horrible recordings listenable.

May 8, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #4,877 of 4,890
Exactly right.

FWIW I have a loaner Caldera closed in house for eventual review. Still early stages, but the closed Caldera sounds wonderful to me.

The OG D8K is a wonderful headphone, too. I'll soon have a pair of the D8K LE's "H" pads to try on my D8K. The stock "F" pads of D8K sounded kind of harsh to me (and it's not a harsh headphone); then I switched to the D8K Pro's "G" pads ... sound isn't harsh, but is bassy and warm (pleasing but can be too much).

I'm hoping the "H" pads are the Goldilocks earpads to bring the D8K to a new level. I would normally padroll w/3rd party pads to do this, but that's nearly impossible with the D8K, the pad/earcup interface of which is specifically tuned, very hard to replicate w/3rd party pads.
Well I think the H Pads are.
They tighten up the bass without losing the slam/ or impact. The seal around your ears is the best with those pads. You’ll see. With the stiffer construction it improves comfort and ergonomics. ☺️
Since I bought my H Pads last year for the OG D8K I haven’t pad swapped since With either F or the G pads. It is not that either are bad pads, I just feel the H pads are superior, especially for comfort.

May 8, 2024 at 3:58 PM Post #4,878 of 4,890
They tighten up the bass without losing the slam/ or impact. The seal around your ears is the best with those pads. You’ll see. With the stiffer construction it improves comfort and ergonomics. ☺️
Since I bought my H Pads last year for the OG D8K I haven’t pad swapped since With either F or the G pads. It is not that either are bad pads, I just feel the H pads are superior, especially for comfort.
They really are, I have tried a decent amount of headphones now and the D8k OG with H pads are so perfect for me that it spoils other options. It fixes any issues I had with the OG D8k and improves the comfort. Even with other headphones like utopia or atrium, I always seem to fall back to the D8k. I have a susvara coming in so maybe it can be a perfect combo with the it.

May 8, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #4,879 of 4,890
If anyone wants a replacement headband, audio46 just came in stock with them. I have been talking to final and their shipment finally arrived.

May 8, 2024 at 4:09 PM Post #4,880 of 4,890
H pads are the way to go. The comfort and breathability are way better.
They are also firmer and put the ears further from the driver, which improves the spatiality in my opinion.
If anyone is missing bass, it's easy to EQ it.

May 9, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #4,881 of 4,890
May 9, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #4,882 of 4,890
They really are, I have tried a decent amount of headphones now and the D8k OG with H pads are so perfect for me that it spoils other options. It fixes any issues I had with the OG D8k and improves the comfort. Even with other headphones like utopia or atrium, I always seem to fall back to the D8k. I have a susvara coming in so maybe it can be a perfect combo with the it.
And at one point when I bought the H-Pads I thought I might be nuts or being over the top spending nearly $200.00 USD on headphone pads. Now I find I’m absolutely with in my means to have bought them. I could, like many of you with experience with the H-pads, argue that the pads are worth there price point. ☺️

May 9, 2024 at 9:18 AM Post #4,883 of 4,890
And at one point when I bought the H-Pads I thought I might be nuts or being over the top spending nearly $200.00 USD on headphone pads. Now I find I’m absolutely with in my means to have bought them. I could, like many of you with experience with the H-pads, argue that the pads are worth there price point. ☺️
Why would you think that? You probably wouldn’t think anything of spending three times on a cable, when pads make probably more of a difference than a cable.

May 9, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #4,884 of 4,890
Why would you think that? You probably wouldn’t think anything of spending three times on a cable, when pads make probably more of a difference than a cable.
Like I said. I’m nuts. 😉
And to be perfectly honest I did buy the Junkosha Junflon SPC cable in 3M length with 4-pin XLR termination. I’m totally contradicting myself on what is ‘worth it’ at certain price points.
I made the decision that if I bought the D-8000 I would go ‘all in’ and not try to skimp on cost….pads…cables…upgraded headband. You name it.
In the end. I haven’t looked back or regretted a single thing. Everything matters, especially with the D8K. For me, it is the best headphone in the world.

May 9, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #4,885 of 4,890
Like I said. I’m nuts. 😉
And to be perfectly honest I did buy the Junkosha Junflon SPC cable in 3M length with 4-pin XLR termination. I’m totally contradicting myself on what is ‘worth it’ at certain price points.
I made the decision that if I bought the D-8000 I would go ‘all in’ and not try to skimp on cost….pads…cables…upgraded headband. You name it.
In the end. I haven’t looked back or regretted a single thing. Everything matters, especially with the D8K. For me, it is the best headphone in the world.
Not nuts at all. My point is that people will spend a lot of money on a cable, and yet pads, which are less costly probably do more to change the sound.

May 9, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #4,886 of 4,890
Not nuts at all. My point is that people will spend a lot of money on a cable, and yet pads, which are less costly probably do more to change the sound.
Your point is definitely well taken. ☺️

May 9, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #4,887 of 4,890
Amazing thank you. I'm visiting Vienna this summer would love to audition higher end zmf's
One of the reasons I'm so eager to get the LE's "H" pads on my D8K is to max out the evident sonic potential of this great headphone. Assuming those pads take it higher, job #1 will be to compare it head-to-head with the ZMF Caldera open, a planar I've come to rely on in so many ways.

There are no losers in a comparison like that....

May 9, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #4,889 of 4,890
Amazing thank you. I'm visiting Vienna this summer would love to audition higher end zmf's
Great, give him a call he's open only a few days of the week...

May 10, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #4,890 of 4,890
One of the reasons I'm so eager to get the LE's "H" pads on my D8K is to max out the evident sonic potential of this great headphone. Assuming those pads take it higher, job #1 will be to compare it head-to-head with the ZMF Caldera open, a planar I've come to rely on in so many ways.

There are no losers in a comparison like that....
Please do it 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back