DIY Ground Box Thread
May 20, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #1,696 of 1,705
With the Nano fluid the major junctions - signals for electronics and loudspeakers. For the salt packets - about half of the upstairs switches and sockets. The downstairs is on the other phase so I wonder if it will matter that much but I will eventually do this for every one.

I used the fluid on my AC plug and it arcs/flashes when I insert the plug - everything is attached to the same plug. The only thing that is ON when the plug is inserted is a line stage and two RYTHMIK subwoofers all of which require minimal power. I rarely unplug this but I had to yesterday and it flashed just like it did after applying the liquid. I had thought, maybe, the liquid having been recently applied may have caused the arcing but this time was a week later. Have you experienced anything like this?

I have an area of confusion with the ground boxes - are you using a 14 gauge wire connected to the ground pin of an RCA or XLR connector - that seems like lots of wire for an interconnect cable to contend with.

Are you using an unused socket with just the ground connected or is this part of the cable? I guess for those without additional jacks on their gear there is no choice what to do. I am using a DAC that has both XLR and RCA and their grounds are shared so I will use the extra jack. Still want to be sure I have this correct: 14 gauge wire from the box to component (DAC) ground?

Thanks for your work. I think this will eventually be considered as something that is done for a good music system by people who have no idea who you are and where this was born. That is the highest compliment someone's work can receive. I suspect there will be many out there who will claim to have "discovered" your discovery and this is considered flattery but it is of the lowest order.
That is a lot of questions LOL. I have to go to work but will answer your questions later tonight when I get home. Based on what you have shared, so far you have only experienced about 10% of the system performance gains possible based on what you are planning to do. Even without the ground boxes yet, you are still missing out on a lot of performance gains possible. I will explain and share how and why later when I get home.

May 21, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #1,697 of 1,705
Answers to your questions...

With the Nano fluid the major junctions - signals for electronics and loudspeakers. For the salt packets - about half of the upstairs switches and sockets. The downstairs is on the other phase so I wonder if it will matter that much but I will eventually do this for every one.
* Furutech Nano Liquid:

For optimal system performance gain using Furutech Nano Liquid, "treat all mechanical connections". You know what the Nano Liquid did for the system improvements you have heard so far, treating just a few places. Imagine if you treated the entire system? What the Nano Liquid is doing is minimizing micro arcing of the electrical signal when passing and bouncing back and forth between connections. This micro arcing I have seen magnified in a lab many years ago. What this micro arcing does is generate a high frequency noise, which masks data from your system that is on the original signal/recording. Mechanical connections, which are two mating pieces of plated or non-plated metal are never perfectly flat. These inconsistencies of the metal mating surfaces leave micro gaps that the electrical signal (line level, AC and DC power) will bounce back and forth at very high speeds. What we are trying to do is minimize this micro arcing using Nano Liquid.

* Regarding the AC line treatment with Rochelle salt:

For optimal system performance gain with this tweak, "treat all junctions on all circuits". You can hear when junctions treated are on circuits other than on the one the system is hooked up to. This is assuming the junctions being treated originate from the same breaker box. My theory is that all of the AC wiring throughout the home is acting like an antenna picking up different frequency bands of high frequency noise. Seems that at the breaker any noise on one circuit will bleed and transfer or be picked up by the other circuits terminated at the breaker box. This will become obvious when you treat other circuits and can hear it effect the system.

I used the fluid on my AC plug and it arcs/flashes when I insert the plug - everything is attached to the same plug. The only thing that is ON when the plug is inserted is a line stage and two RYTHMIK subwoofers all of which require minimal power. I rarely unplug this but I had to yesterday and it flashed just like it did after applying the liquid. I had thought, maybe, the liquid having been recently applied may have caused the arcing but this time was a week later. Have you experienced anything like this?
Nope, never experienced this. But I always turn off power to whatever I am treating, before reinserting into the system. Because you have a power draw, is likely why you are experiencing the arcing during plugging and unplugging the AC plug.

have an area of confusion with the ground boxes - are you using a 14 gauge wire connected to the ground pin of an RCA or XLR connector - that seems like lots of wire for an interconnect cable to contend with.

Are you using an unused socket with just the ground connected or is this part of the cable? I guess for those without additional jacks on their gear there is no choice what to do. I am using a DAC that has both XLR and RCA and their grounds are shared so I will use the extra jack. Still want to be sure I have this correct: 14 gauge wire from the box to component (DAC) ground?
Believe me when comes to performance of ground boxes, "everything matters". This includes the ground cable. Trust me on this. Or better yet, test this yourself, will be obvious right away. Proper gauge wire to use for ground cable if following my recipe is:

* 14ga. when modding an interconnect or digital coax cable such as a coax SPDIF cable. So from signal or AC power cable to ground box.
* 11ga. (dual twisted 14ga.) as the main cable from ground box to component using an RCA plug, Banana plug or spade. Also for modded AC power cable, by installing to ground of the AC plug or IEC connector.

The 14ga wire (ground cable) when installed as part of mod to say interconnects as in the included pics, is not part of signal transmission of the system. The ground cable in this application is used solely for filtering of the cable and that section of the component (like output stage of a DAC). The key is to make sure the ground signal wire of the interconnect is in direct contact with the metal of the RCA connector. Obviously both the 14ga. wire and signal wire will be in direct contact with the ground signal wire, which is what you want. I highly recommend using solderless connectors when building ground cables or modding them. Again the sonic difference is obvious.

Thanks for your work. I think this will eventually be considered as something that is done for a good music system by people who have no idea who you are and where this was born. That is the highest compliment someone's work can receive. I suspect there will be many out there who will claim to have "discovered" your discovery and this is considered flattery but it is of the lowest order.
My pleasure. I am not looking for credit or financial compensation. Just sharing with other audiophiles, music lovers and people that want to truly improve their system's performance. On the cheap also compared to what it would take at the retail level. Like I mentioned before, the plan you have is good. Even without some of the other tweak gems in this thread. Each part of your plan (Nano Liquid, AC home wiring and ground boxes) is addressing different noise that is polluting your system. Each of the different high frequency noise pollution hinders your system's potential. You will be shocked at what your system is capable of. Will be a fun ride, you will get to experience your system transform into a different system altogether.

Attachments

• Nordost Odin 2 balanced XLR GB mod - 3.jpg
    Nordost Odin 2 balanced XLR GB mod - 3.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 0
  • AC Ground Cable 1.2M - 1.jpg
    AC Ground Cable 1.2M - 1.jpg
    664.3 KB · Views: 0
  • SPDIF Ground Box Cable Mod.jpg
    SPDIF Ground Box Cable Mod.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Ground box at wall coax connecctor.jpg
    Ground box at wall coax connecctor.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 0
May 21, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #1,698 of 1,705
i bought these a while ago https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005006088172206.html

5x 16mm amethyst bebbles

today after settling on the idea todo some kind of mix for my chinch caps i wanted to try consistently larger quartz pieces

these placed on the speaker (i placed all 5) have actually quite a nice impact on high frequencys ... they actually make them sound "sharper", more accurate, specially noticable with some violines and stuff with harmonics, this is acutally nothing like what smaller quartz pieces do, they seem to make the high frequencys more annoying (maybe the smaller pieces "overdo" the effect while the 16mm bebbles have around the right size to give some nice amount of the same effect?)

May 21, 2024 at 10:05 AM Post #1,699 of 1,705
i also bought these coloured flourite gems: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005006128929954.html (there is a 3 items discount going on with this item but i cant send a link... 1,59 euro per 100g)
with mohs 4 they should be easy to crush in a granite (mohs 6) grinder :)

i bought some green flourite before but it hasnt arrived yet, curiousity about flourite comes from the fact that its a "non-conductor" .... it basicly doesnt transfer electricity but still has some amount of measureable resistance, i thought its worth a shot and yesterday i just found out while listening what esoteric people say about flourite that it also "helps against EMI" like black tourmaline... maybe coincident here but some things make me curious enough to test it :)

May 21, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #1,700 of 1,705
I hope I am not breaking any rules by using two accounts - I could not remember my password at home so I am posting as both my name and as popquisling. I will close one of them.

I do not doubt I am nowhere close to hearing what is possible and that keeps me motivated to keep working. I am confident this is the only way to ameliorate the unfortunate aspects of AC power and luckily it is not even mildly expensive. One must put lots of time into it but that only makes it more gratifying when you have had a hand in the improvement of your system. I am a DIYer by nature so I get pleasure from using my own hands to improve my system. This might be a great introduction for previously NON DIYers to discover this pleasure. Nothing can beat hearing an improvement in your system that nothing else could bring no matter the cost.

I will eventually incorporate ALL of your ideas - it does take time as you know better than anyone. I plan on using the Nano fluid wherever there is an assumed gas-tight connection in the system.

I can see the value of 14 gauge wire for the ground box wire just wanted to be sure I had not misunderstood. For those who do have to incorporate this into their cable I think it could be difficult. Those connectors you speak of, I assume they use a screw to clamp the wire, must have a larger clamping area than I have ever seen.

I do not see where this clamping option is available for XLR unless I have misunderstood, again, and you are crimping these connections.

Your giving spirit is plainly obvious in this thread and I consider this a beautiful gift.

I can see some folks making a living installing salt packets in dedicated, but lazy, audio kooks houses. (I consider myself an audio kook who loves music)

I had maybe 40 watts of stuff turned on when the NANO treated plugis inserted. One would think that would not cause any disturbance at all. Hasn't hurt anything so I am not worrying about it.

THANKS for the gift of your treatments, time and knowledge.

May 21, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #1,701 of 1,705
I hope I am not breaking any rules by using two accounts - I could not remember my password at home so I am posting as both my name and as popquisling. I will close one of them.

I do not doubt I am nowhere close to hearing what is possible and that keeps me motivated to keep working. I am confident this is the only way to ameliorate the unfortunate aspects of AC power and luckily it is not even mildly expensive. One must put lots of time into it but that only makes it more gratifying when you have had a hand in the improvement of your system. I am a DIYer by nature so I get pleasure from using my own hands to improve my system. This might be a great introduction for previously NON DIYers to discover this pleasure. Nothing can beat hearing an improvement in your system that nothing else could bring no matter the cost.

I will eventually incorporate ALL of your ideas - it does take time as you know better than anyone. I plan on using the Nano fluid wherever there is an assumed gas-tight connection in the system.

I can see the value of 14 gauge wire for the ground box wire just wanted to be sure I had not misunderstood. For those who do have to incorporate this into their cable I think it could be difficult. Those connectors you speak of, I assume they use a screw to clamp the wire, must have a larger clamping area than I have ever seen.

I do not see where this clamping option is available for XLR unless I have misunderstood, again, and you are crimping these connections.

Your giving spirit is plainly obvious in this thread and I consider this a beautiful gift.

I can see some folks making a living installing salt packets in dedicated, but lazy, audio kooks houses. (I consider myself an audio kook who loves music)

I had maybe 40 watts of stuff turned on when the NANO treated plugis inserted. One would think that would not cause any disturbance at all. Hasn't hurt anything so I am not worrying about it.

THANKS for the gift of your treatments, time and knowledge.
Nano Liquid on non-gas tight connections also. Like RJ45, USB, etc. The XLR solderless connectors I recommend will accommodate most of the 14ga. wire from the ground cable. Can provide link for them later if you like.

May 21, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #1,702 of 1,705
@rickmcinnis

Here are the different solderless connectors I recommend to use for Ground cable and ground box applications. All can be purchased very inexpensively from Aliexpress and perform well beyond their price points. For ground box use case, IMHO sound better than the Furutech originals. Use with the Furutech Nano Liquid for best results.

I will note that for the ground box end, I prefer the spade to the locking banana connector. The spade offers more contact area to the binding post then the banana. But for interconnect pair cable mods, you have to use both unless you have two ground boxes. One channel a spade and the other banana. If you decide to mod a cable, the interconnect (XLR or RCA/SE) is the one to do first.

Attachments

• Clone Furutech CF-202R solderless locking banana connector.jpg
    Clone Furutech CF-202R solderless locking banana connector.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 0
  • EIZZ solderless XLR connectors.jpg
    EIZZ solderless XLR connectors.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 0
  • spade and banana.jpg
    spade and banana.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 0
  • AC cable GB modding - 2.jpg
    AC cable GB modding - 2.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 0
  • AC cable GB modding - 4.jpg
    AC cable GB modding - 4.jpg
    533.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Furutech FI-50 connector pair.jpg
    Furutech FI-50 connector pair.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Furutech FI-50 IEC.jpg
    Furutech FI-50 IEC.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 0
  • Furutech PS-950 ground cable mod.jpg
    Furutech PS-950 ground cable mod.jpg
    688.7 KB · Views: 0
  • SPDIF Ground Box Cable Mod.jpg
    SPDIF Ground Box Cable Mod.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 0
May 22, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #1,704 of 1,705
i would use 99,9% isopropanol for things like this, hand santizer usually means there are more things inside... if you are lucky the remaining 9% are only water

May 22, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #1,705 of 1,705
i would use 99,9% isopropanol for things like this, hand santizer usually means there are more things inside... if you are lucky the remaining 9% are only water
If you are referring to my previous post with the pic with bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol, balance is suppose to be water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back