Cayin Soul 170HA: A Beastly TOTL Vacuum Tube Headphone/Speaker Amplifier wth KT170
May 21, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #91 of 98
Interesting how this amp is gonna be with Raal Immanis.
That's like the only big boy amp that wasn't paired with the Immanis in munich.

I expect excellent results, but unfortunately couldn't test it.

I am very interested in this pairing too. After I auditioned for the original RAAL SR-1B, I was stunned and wanted to find out if I could use it with our amplifier. I wrote an email to Danny of Requisite Audio asking if the HA-300 is remotely possible, and the answer is not feasible. Now that they have widely their product line and we have a new big brother around the corner, I definitely want to give it another try.

Since we have to revise the output transformers of the engineering samples, late August seems to be a reasonable "guess" for the official launch. Nope, we don't have any confirmed schedule right now, this is just an educated guess based on previous R&D history. We probably won't find out the possibility of RAAL x Cayin until late 2024.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 21, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #92 of 98
Is the power supply unit solid state. I can see the 2 tube rectifiers but no details on the PS, so just asking?

The 170HA power supply is tube rectified. To stack the external power supply under the amplifier, we need to install the rectified tubes in the amplifier chassis and run the cable down to the external power supply separately.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 21, 2024 at 2:35 AM Post #93 of 98
I am very interested in this pairing too. After I auditioned for the original RAAL SR-1B, I was stunned and wanted to find out if I could use it with our amplifier. I wrote an email to Danny of Requisite Audio asking if the HA-300 is remotely possible, and the answer is not feasible. Now that they have widely their product line and we have a new big brother around the corner, I definitely want to give it another try.

Since we have to revise the output transformers of the engineering samples, late August seems to be a reasonable "guess" for the official launch. Nope, we don't have any confirmed schedule right now, this is just an educated guess based on previous R&D history. We probably won't find out the possibility of RAAL x Cayin until late 2024.

Andy, the original Raal SR-1B used a Resistor Interface, which required the amplifier to have huge power reserves, since most of it would vanish on the Resistors.

However over the years Raal invented a transformer Interface for their products. Which let's you use them with basically any halfway decent amplifier.
The new Immanis and Magna are even more sensitive than the older models.

You should get your hand on any Raal with Transformer Interface TI-1B and try it on your amps.

I'm certain that Soul 170Ha, Ha-300 Mk2 and Ha-6a will have no problems driving the Raals and Ha-3a might still be possible albeit not ideal.

The Transformer Interface, makes it look like a 32 Ohm headphone to the amplifier. Immanis has 84db sensitivity, so roughly as hard to drive as Susvara.

May 21, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #94 of 98
The 170HA power supply is tube rectified. To stack the external power supply under the amplifier, we need to install the rectified tubes in the amplifier chassis and run the cable down to the external power supply separately.
Ah ok, that makes sense. Is there a reason for not using the 22 DE4 valve this time around?

May 21, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #95 of 98
Ah ok, that makes sense. Is there a reason for not using the 22 DE4 valve this time around?

Cayin has phased that out on newer HA-6A and HA-3A models as well. I think it has to do with the supply chain issues of supporting so many models with a tube that isn't in production anymore. There are still a lot of 22DE4s out there for individuals to find, but it's a bit of a different story for manufacturers.

May 21, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #96 of 98
Cayin has phased that out on newer HA-6A and HA-3A models as well. I think it has to do with the supply chain issues of supporting so many models with a tube that isn't in production anymore. There are still a lot of 22DE4s out there for individuals to find, but it's a bit of a different story for manufacturers.

Why not a more common rectifier tube like 5u4g, which could be rolled with 274b, 1641, 596 amongst others. Just curious the reason behind going for this specific type which face the same nos availability issue as 22de4?

May 21, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #97 of 98
Why not a more common rectifier tube like 5u4g, which could be rolled with 274b, 1641, 596 amongst others. Just curious the reason behind going for this specific type which face the same nos availability issue as 22de4?

Good question. I'm not sure what the inspiration was to use the 22DE4.

May 21, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #98 of 98
The 22DE4 is a good rectifier and at the time, many were available and cheap.

They were used in TVs, some radios and many devices and 1000s and 1000s were put in land fills as tubes were phased out but many still remained. They could be bought for 25 to 50 cents, so great price and like I mentioned, a good rectifier. I would like to use 5AR4/GZ34 because I have a big supply of NOS in Mullard, Amperex and in metal base in those. :^) But I am fine with the 22DE4. You can also put a in line ultra high speed rectifier in line, still get the tube qualify but your tube rectifier will last just about forever.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back