Audio Grade Fuses
Jun 3, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #827 of 830
Instead of an expensive silver slug, just replace your iec inlet with the best pure copper Furutech one and connect it straight to the wires of your equipment. No fuse or rod.
Agree that’s where the line of thought logically goes. A bit more permanent and involved for those of us just dabbling in this space and quite unsure about permanently running sans-fuse.

Jun 3, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #828 of 830
I now have a better appreciation for the use of gold in electrical contacts.
Yes, gold-plating is an excellent way to ensure the underlying metal permanently stays conductive.
But in the hifi world, the actual SQ benefits of this are not so clear cut...

It's been often reported that gold-plated copper results in a warmer sound, and rhodium-plated copper gives a more transparent, detailed, cooler sound.
And I've demonstrated this to myself comparing gold-plated and rhodium plated Furutech connectors. I much prefer the rhodium version. In comparison, the gold version loses a lot of detail and is just a bit flat and dull. But some users love this added warmth, and hate what they hear as rhodium's cold, analytical nature. It's no surprise that people have different preferences, but what surprised me was how obvious those differences were, considering the underlying copper connector was exactly the same.

Back to the slug conversation, I think my titanium slug shows broadly similar characteristics to the above rhodium-plated Furutech sound (and I expect silver slugs will be similar (but not identical)). And my copper slug relates to the gold-plated Furutech sound (and I expect gold-plated copper slugs to be similar (but not identical)).

Note that rhodium is also highly inert, but has lower conductivity than gold. It is also much harder than gold, so will last longer when you're regularly re-making the connection, such as for headphone jacks. Shame it costs much more than gold these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back