Aegis DIY Tube Headphone Amplifier
May 22, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #2,446 of 2,450
Yeah, still available... the only trouble I've seen was with Woo amps where the circuit wasn't performing exactly as required for the 274b. It would flash bright on startup I think and potentially blow the filament. Not sure of the exact technical problem but it seemed to only be related to how Woo amps operated. For those amps it was recommended to use ER5U4G.

Other than that there was the quality control issues prior to Thomas taking over but he sorted all that out quite a while back now. The 274b & 274a are both listed on Elroy's website as well as being sold via the UK distributor. I'd imagine that will be the same in the US. Certainly haven't seen anything about them being pulled.
Got ya, and I believe Thomas is only selling direct now by the way. Perhaps some old distributors might still have some inventory, but I believe you have to buy straight from Thomas now. I have had the Elrog ER300B's in the past, so I am very familiar with Thomas and the amazing sound of his tubes, and I am sure the 274b is incredible.

Curious for reference, what version of Mullard GZ34 do you have?

I think it would be an interesting comparison between the ER274b and Phillips Holland GZ34, as I think those two are going for the same type of sound sig. . .linear, dynamic and open with textures galore.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 8:15 AM Post #2,447 of 2,450
Got ya, and I believe Thomas is only selling direct now by the way. Perhaps some old distributors might still have some inventory, but I believe you have to buy straight from Thomas now. I have had the Elrog ER300B's in the past, so I am very familiar with Thomas and the amazing sound of his tubes, and I am sure the 274b is incredible.

Curious for reference, what version of Mullard GZ34 do you have?

I think it would be an interesting comparison between the ER274b and Phillips Holland GZ34, as I think those two are going for the same type of sound sig. . .linear, dynamic and open with textures galore.
Just the standard GZ34 unfortunately. It would make for an interesting comparison.

A word that jumps to mind when I first heard the ER274b was expansive... the sound felt big. More balanced across the range so I guess more linear when compared to something like the Brimar 5R4GY that has great bass texture but not as extended as the ER274b. The 274b also has more weight that the standard GZ34. I would struggle using the GZ34 with Mullard EL38's as it felt a bit edgy... possibly smoother or sweeter highs for the Elrog. I wish I was better at describing these things with proper audio speak 😀

If I'm listening to an acoustic guitar, after the string is plucked the sound would carry more with the ER274b. Other tubes felt like it cut the note short. You could feel the friction of a violin bow across strings more with the 274b and pickup on small movements of the artist as they move around. Perfect timbre, even with classical piano albums. I think what I like most is it just sounds more real. You can feel the resonance when they come down hard on the keys as the sound reverbs around the wooden frame.

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #2,448 of 2,450
Just the standard GZ34 unfortunately. It would make for an interesting comparison.

A word that jumps to mind when I first heard the ER274b was expansive... the sound felt big. More balanced across the range so I guess more linear when compared to something like the Brimar 5R4GY that has great bass texture but not as extended as the ER274b. The 274b also has more weight that the standard GZ34. I would struggle using the GZ34 with Mullard EL38's as it felt a bit edgy... possibly smoother or sweeter highs for the Elrog. I wish I was better at describing these things with proper audio speak 😀

If I'm listening to an acoustic guitar, after the string is plucked the sound would carry more with the ER274b. Other tubes felt like it cut the note short. You could feel the friction of a violin bow across strings more with the 274b and pickup on small movements of the artist as they move around. Perfect timbre, even with classical piano albums. I think what I like most is it just sounds more real. You can feel the resonance when they come down hard on the keys as the sound reverbs around the wooden frame.
I think you are doing a fantastic job of describing what you hear, and I appreciate the info.

May 22, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #2,449 of 2,450
What wire do you have available? 20awg is probably the most common size of hookup wire made. You could use 18awg for the output and rectifier tube heaters and 22awg for everything else

For what part of the circuit?

Can we use 18 awg or 20 awg for everything ?

May 22, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #2,450 of 2,450

Users who are viewing this thread

Back