ZMF Atrium Closed
Feb 12, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #2,821 of 3,183
Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #2,822 of 3,183
Posting this here as it helped a couple people on the Bokeh thread. Wanted to quickly share my method for switching ZMF pads, as I continue to see folks struggling with this on all the different ZMF threads and this cuts the pad change time down to seconds. Please try this and let me know if it helps.

@zach915m This guy deserves some free pads or something!

Feb 12, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #2,823 of 3,183
Posting this here as it helped a couple people on the Bokeh thread. Wanted to quickly share my method for switching ZMF pads, as I continue to see folks struggling with this on all the different ZMF threads and this cuts the pad change time down to seconds. Please try this and let me know if it helps.

What is this sorcery!

Feb 12, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #2,824 of 3,183
Nice! I have placed my order for the AC and am very excited! Will be looking forward one day in the not too distant future to posting my impressions. I have enjoyed Fostex TH900 mk2 as my bass cannon headphones. But my more recent acquisition of the HEKse has caused me to want a closed back HP with more forward mids and better timbre than the Fostex while still maintaining the fun engaging bass. The AC really seems like it will fit the bill.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #2,825 of 3,183
Unveiling the ZMF Wooden Finger award! Given to those who's efforts lead to more efficient pad rolling. :) Seriously though that technique was awesome, I tip my hat.

1707768286702.png

Feb 12, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #2,826 of 3,183

Appreciate the tip! definitely helpful

Feb 12, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #2,827 of 3,183
Indeed he does. That is a great tip. And @zach915m deserves a spanking for a) not knowing this and/or b) not telling us! :)

EDIT: I tried this method with the AC today and I think I need to practice it… It wasn’t as straightforward. But I think the pads I have on the AC are tighter than the average ZMF pads.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #2,828 of 3,183
Nice! I have placed my order for the AC and am very excited! Will be looking forward one day in the not too distant future to posting my impressions. I have enjoyed Fostex TH900 mk2 as my bass cannon headphones. But my more recent acquisition of the HEKse has caused me to want a closed back HP with more forward mids and better timbre than the Fostex while still maintaining the fun engaging bass. The AC really seems like it will fit the bill.

If you like the TH900's bass and want something similar without a messed up frequency response I think the AC definitely fits the bill. While the TH900 has great bass the AC comes pretty close in sub-bass quantity but it's so much more refined and everything else in the FR is just way better.

Feb 12, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #2,829 of 3,183
Unveiling the ZMF Wooden Finger award! Given to those who's efforts lead to more efficient pad rolling. :) Seriously though that technique was awesome, I tip my hat.

I’m going to be honest. I’ve scrolled by this post like 4 times today and each time I burst out laughing. I have no idea why I find that wooden hand so funny but I do

Feb 12, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #2,830 of 3,183
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 12, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #2,831 of 3,183
Feb 12, 2024 at 11:06 PM Post #2,833 of 3,183
Thought I’d experiment a bit with pads tonight after getting the hang of @BeelzAlBob’s handy trick. I changed from the Caldera Suedes back to the stock Lambskin Caldera Thins for a while. They sound good, but I think they’re still a bit too bass-heavy for me in my setup. I’ve already gone right back to the Suedes. Nice to have options!

On a side note, I was listening to a song tonight on the AC that I just heard on my Meze Elite earlier today and was finding the vocals a bit more recessed in comparison. I went through the trouble of doing a quick A-B between the two on my MJ3 and verified the vocals were definitely more prominent and forward on the Elite.

I remembered my little SW51+ tube amp was sitting down on a lower shelf of my rack, lonesome and forlorn now that the MJ3 is in the house. It has two SE headphone jacks with different output impedances. I plugged in my AC to the “high” jack, which is I believe 54 Ohms. Lo and behold, the vocals jumped right back into focus. The higher output impedance made a substantial difference, and now I’m wondering if I might have to start using the SW51+ with my AC and the MJ3 with my Elite.

Don’t get me wrong, the AC sounds great on the MJ3. That’s the amp I’ve been using almost the whole time I’ve had them. I did try the AC one time on the SW51+ early on when I still had the stock Lambskin Caldera Thin pads installed and before the drivers were fully burned-in. It didn’t particularly impress me at that point. I really think the combo of Yggy A2 > SW51+ (High-Z jack) > Atrium Closed w/Caldera Suedes is something special and possibly my sweet spot.

P.S. The new Madi Diaz record is good stuff and sounds incredible on the AC/SW51+.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #2,834 of 3,183
I plugged in my AC to the “high” jack, which is I believe 54 Ohms. Lo and behold, the vocals jumped right back into focus. The higher output impedance made a substantial difference,

Damping for the AC is indeed improved imho with higher output impedance. Good direction!

Feb 13, 2024 at 6:23 AM Post #2,835 of 3,183
I think the combo of Yggy A2 > SW51+ (high Z) > Atrium Closed w/Caldera Suedes is something special and possibly my sweet spot.

Damping for the AC is indeed improved imho with higher output impedance. Good direction!
Absolutely agree with these statements. I'm not an expert by any means, but from brief experience with ZMF dynamic drivers, a high impedance output adds magic to them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back