ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 9, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #286 of 291
May 9, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #288 of 291
So is the XLR output balanced?

It is balanced, but the amp is single-ended. I'm calling it pseudo balanced. The output transformer is performing a single-ended to balanced conversion, transformers can act as phase splitters. It offers a slightly different flavor relative to the 1/4" out, which is single-ended, at least to my ears.

May 9, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #289 of 291
Not to be a pain, but can you expound upon the perceptual differences between the 1/4" out and the XLR? Interesting tidbit on phase splitting functionality of the output transformer, explanation on how that happens would be cool.

The amp is gorgeous! I want one. I do have a Norne cable terminated in 1/4" so could compare with balanced output as well. We are so fortunate to have access to equipment of this caliber and aesthetic.

May 9, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #290 of 291
Not to be a pain, but can you expound upon the perceptual differences between the 1/4" out and the XLR? Interesting tidbit on phase splitting functionality of the output transformer, explanation on how that happens would be cool.

The amp is gorgeous! I want one. I do have a Norne cable terminated in 1/4" so could compare with balanced output as well. We are so fortunate to have access to equipment of this caliber and aesthetic.

For XLR, the output transformer secondary is center tapped, which splits the single-ended signal on the transformer primary into +/- phase, i.e. converts from single-ended to balanced. The way I hear it, the XLR is a little more airy, spacious whereas the 1/4" is a little more intimate but punchy and dynamic. Others may hear it differently through, but that's my take!

May 9, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #291 of 291
For XLR, the output transformer secondary is center tapped, which splits the single-ended signal on the transformer primary into +/- phase, i.e. converts from single-ended to balanced. The way I hear it, the XLR is a little more airy, spacious whereas the 1/4" is a little more intimate but punchy and dynamic. Others may hear it differently through, but that's my take!
I have only been using the SE output, and based off your description sounds like I am using the right one for my preferences. I will have to try the XLR eventually. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back