Why is it called "burning"?
Aug 14, 2001 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Beagle

His body's not a canvas, and he wasn't raised by apes.
CD burners. Why "burners". Why not "CD recorders"?
Were cassette recorders called "tape magnetizers"? No. "Hey, I'll magnetic tape a copy for ya" Why not "MD burners" too? Or is it because the recording artists are being "burned"?

Aug 14, 2001 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 7
While commercial CDs are "pressed" (the soft aluminum is actually stamped so that pits are impressed into it), home CDs are literally burned. The substrate on a blank CD is burned darker by the burner's laser to emulate a "pit" or left untouched to emulate a raised block.

Aug 14, 2001 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 7
And MD recorders don't burn anything. They just remagnetize the surface....no burning here, lol. Though, the disc does have to be heated to 180 degrees F, if I remember right.

Aug 15, 2001 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 7
coolvij: I don't know the exact temperature, but it sounds right to me, because this is actually the same technology as in mo-drives (= magneto-optical). And cd-rw works with yet another different technology, again - but I never really liked cd-rw's, anyway.
wink.gif

Beagle: I don't know, whether it's the same in your place, but over here the modern burners with cd-rw-support are mostly marketed as cd-rewriters, now.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 15, 2001 at 11:56 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks guys, for educating me.

Aug 17, 2001 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 7
It also just sounds better as an underground term ya know?
wink.gif

"Hey let's go download a whole bunch of MP3s, burn 'em, and screw buying CDs! BURN BABY BURN!!!"
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 18, 2001 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 7
That reminds me that I haven't worn my "Duke Nukem - I played it"-t-shirt for too long...
wink.gif

Grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back