What portable amp to get for Sennheiser 555?
Jul 21, 2008 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Young Spade

Headphoneus Supremus
I have some HD555s and I love them to death. They are my first "good" headphones and I wanted to get a portable amp for them.

I listen to music from my iPod and use those headphones for them when in the car and at home.
I know that an amp will make it that much better, but I don't know what kind or where I can get a good one from.

The main things I want are compactness, (the smaller the better), good quality, usb charge (minor but a plus), and cheap.

The cheaper the better.

Thanks in advance.

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 13
Since I may be buying the HD 555 or HD 595 I'm also interested in a cheap amp that would benefit the sound quality.

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have some HD555s and I love them to death. They are my first "good" headphones and I wanted to get a portable amp for them.

I listen to music from my iPod and use those headphones for them when in the car and at home.
I know that an amp will make it that much better, but I don't know what kind or where I can get a good one from.

The main things I want are compactness, (the smaller the better), good quality, usb charge (minor but a plus), and cheap.

The cheaper the better.

Thanks in advance.

How much would you like to spend? then people should able to tell you the best bang for bucks at that price range new & used

Jul 24, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 13
I also have the 555's and can tell you this much:

I just got a Yulong DAH-1 mark USB DAC with a fairly well-regarded built in headphone amp. I also bought, on a whim, a $50 Cmoy portable headphone amp in the Altoids tin off of ebay for fun.

There is a MAJOR difference between the two, like night and day, with the amp in the Yulong being superior (no big surprise). The Yulong's amp brings just SO MUCH out of the 555's that isn't there when plugged directly into an iPod. The Cmoy only improves things maybe 20%.

I've also plugged the 555's into a 15-year-old Sony receiver that I dusted off recently, and it looks like I stumbled onto the 'they don't build 'em like they used to' phenomenon: the combo were quite impressive. Looks to me like the 555's are heavily amp-dependant, and a good amp will transform these phones onto an entirely different level.

As a reference point, for $50, this Cmoy is well thought of for the price.

Spend more. Save up. Sell something. Apply for credit. A $250 Visa card should take care of most of it. The 555's will do so much better with a better amp.

If it were up to me, I'd save and get the Corda Move2 (do a search) portable usb headphone amp. Do a search here. I doubt you'd be disappointed. I think they're about $275.

For less money, then I'd look at the Firestone products at Audiophileproducts.com. I don't think I"d spend any less than their cheapest product. They also sell thru Amazon, so a Amazon credit account will work with them.

Jul 24, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 13
I started all this with the HD555 and after having listened and owned several higher end headphones, I mys say they are an impressive pair of headphones. I agree with the previous poster who said they really shine with an amp...well, more than the amp itself i think what makes the difference is the source, but the amp definitely helps.

Right when I was ready for a higher end product I tried them for the headstage lyrix dac/amp that i bought to pair with the HD650 and I have to tell you they realy started doing everything so much better that I just never use them without the amp/dac anymore, because the sound is just not close as engaging.

I would highly recommend the headtstage lyrix usb/dac to anyone. The best sound Ive ever experience was from them and the HD650. Right now I am listening to the triple fis with it and it is also amazing.

If you love the HD555, when you set the gain to high and turn on the bass boost on the lyrix, you will be thrilled. They go for about 130 directly from headphonia in ebay.

Jul 24, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #6 of 13
HD555 definitely sound a better with amp, but to me it isn't day and night difference. Like alitomr has suggested, headstage is a good option but if you want the dac as well, i would say Boa sounds slightly better and more transparent to me, lyrix is rather noisy comparing to the boa as i find it. You can check them both out at Headphonia.com and iBasso. Good luck!

Jul 24, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 13
I have the HD595's and am using them with a Headamp AE2. I agree with the post above. Start saving your money and expand your budget. Don't waste your time and money on a cheap amp. I have bought and sold many cans in the last year, but I still have my AE2.

Jul 27, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #9 of 13
Ok, thanks guys. I just bought a LoD cable to use, its a good one so all I need now is the amp.
I don't really have any money right now but I am looking to get a good amp around Christmas time so I will take you guys' advice and SAVE my money, I am kind of bad at doing that
biggrin.gif

But I copied all of your recommendations down for further use, thanks a bunch.

Jul 27, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #10 of 13
Ok, thanks guys. I just bought a LoD cable to use, its a good one so all I need now is the amp.
I don't really have any money right now but I am looking to get a good amp around Christmas time so I will take you guys' advice and SAVE my money, I am kind of bad at doing that
biggrin.gif

But I copied all of your recommendations down for further use, thanks a bunch.

This is another reason why I like this forum.
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #12 of 13
Oh it already has
biggrin.gif

But I love it even more, the different music that I have started listening to has been worth it. (Classical mostly).

I never knew any of the names of any songs that I liked in the genre so I just stayed clear until now.

Jul 27, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #13 of 13
Yeah I owned an HD595 before I gave it up for my HD580, and my Go Vibe Petite really powered it well, plus it had a built in DAC.

Do some research, then buy mine!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back