What is the best EQ software for Mac and iPhone?
Nov 17, 2022 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

zlayde

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all -

I've got a nice Dac/AMP setup going with Apple music. Curious: what is the best software for EQ on Mac?

Also...what is the best software for iPhone?

Thanks in advance!

Rich

Feb 26, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 15
Mar 20, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 15
Mar 20, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #6 of 15
My only issue with SoundSorce is that it uses BW as a parameter instead of Q and, as many published settings use Q, you have to convert. Minor issue and this site provides a conversion calculator: https://sengpielaudio.com/calculator-bandwidth.htm
How are you using the EQ? I created txt files with the params (including Q) and select those via "Headphone EQ" -> "Add Other Profile".

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 15
How are you using the EQ? I created txt files with the params (including Q) and select those via "Headphone EQ" -> "Add Other Profile".
I just enter the parameter values in the equalizer screen. See attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 9.37.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 9.37.11 PM.png
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 15
Ah, I see. I remember I also had issues in that regards (maybe it was the same) and then went for the txt files. Has the nice side effect that you have a backup of your EQ presets as well, since you have plain txt files on your computer.

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 15
Ah, I see. I remember I also had issues in that regards (maybe it was the same) and then went for the txt files. Has the nice side effect that you have a backup of your EQ presets as well, since you have plain txt files on your computer.
How do you access the txt files? Do you know the directory?

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 15
Mar 20, 2024 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 15
I don't think you can access the ones that SoundSource comes with, but you can create your own txt files anywhere on your computer. The presets can be found here: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results.
Thank you! It's intesting that in these text files they use Q, but in the graphic interface they use Width. I've reached out to Rogue Amoeba to suggest they provide an option to use Q. The conversion is simple arithmetic.

Mar 23, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #12 of 15
Thank you! It's intesting that in these text files they use Q, but in the graphic interface they use Width. I've reached out to Rogue Amoeba to suggest they provide an option to use Q. The conversion is simple arithmetic.
I heard back from Rogue Amoeba and it turns out that the PEQ interface in my screen shot, iAUNBandEQ, is a plugin developed by Apple and bundled with MacOS.

Mar 25, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #15 of 15
I’m just trying to learn about EQ and I’m a noob. From what I can see, there’s no real way to EQ with an iPhone.

Can these same settings be applied to a PC?
You could get a Qudelix 5K and that has an iPhone app that has a parametric EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back