Violectric V222 and V202
May 9, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #1,816 of 1,821
Really just the heat and the size. As much as I loved the sound of it, I realized after a couple of weeks in use (in the winter!) that it just wouldn’t work in my setup come spring/summer. Got the HP8, then, and am pretty happy with that one (and will be even more once I got fully rid of the hum).
That is my main concern and keeping me from buying the HA-6A now, I plan to get it in winter.
I’m gonna compare the 2A vs 3A vs 6A when the zmf atrium closed arrives hopefully this month. 2A smaller form factor and hope it’ll be good alternate with the V222

May 9, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #1,817 of 1,821
There is an assumption that the hierarchy and differences between amplifiers are as follows:

V222. Has a maximum power of 3.5 W at 50 ohms, has a balanced input and a headphone output. Preamplification from "-18dB" to "+18dB". It is a headphone amplifier only (i.e. it does not have a speaker preamp or line-out for speakers). The remote control is not provided by the design;

V322. Supposedly will have a power rating greater than 3.5 watts into 50 ohms (but less than 5 watts into 50 ohms), and has a balanced input and headphone output. Preamplification from "-18dB" to "+12dB". It is a headphone amplifier only (i.e. it does not have a speaker preamp or line-out for speakers). The remote control is not provided by the design;

V324. Supposedly will have a power rating greater than 3.5 watts into 50 ohms (but less than 5 watts into 50 ohms), and has a balanced input and headphone output. Preamplification from "-18dB" to "+12dB". It is a headphone amplifier and a preamplifier for speakers, i.e. has a linear output to speakers. Has a remote control;

V340. Has a maximum power of 5 watts at 50 ohms. It has only an UNbalanced input and a balanced headphone output. Preamplification from "-18dB" to "+18dB". It is a headphone amplifier and a preamplifier for speakers, i.e. has a linear output to speakers. The remote control is not provided by the design.

The sound signature from younger to older models will presumably change from a warmer to a more neutral sound. Older models will have better synergy with low sensitivity headphones, because the power of the device increases.

More reliable and official information should appear soon. We are waiting.

May 9, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #1,818 of 1,821
Got the HP8, then, and am pretty happy with that one (and will be even more once I got fully rid of the hum).
Agree, the Icon Audio HP8 is a fantastic transformer coupled amp. It runs both dynamics and planar HP's very well for me and the adjustable impedance works with all my ZMF's. It gets just a little warm on the casing and only the tubes are hot. I found mine used and it had an annoying hum as well. Recently I sent it to a certified Icon Audio distributer in Canada and they were able to replace a part that significantly improved the hum issue.

May 9, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #1,819 of 1,821
Well, the 324 definitely steals the 340's show, so you can figure out the rest.

May 9, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #1,820 of 1,821
Well, the 324 definitely steals the 340's show, so you can figure out the rest.
The new units look great. Hoping to see these at the next NYC CanJam. I enjoy stopping by the table and chatting with Lake People/Violectric/Nimbus representatives and they team with Fostex on the headphones for demos. Do they go to the Dallas, TX CanJam as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back