USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
Apr 25, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #6,421 of 6,431
4.4mm balanced requires different circuit and physically larger, so that would be good for another DAC model which would target higher output level, balanced output (maybe balanced + 3.5mm single-ended combined). Such DAC will drain more power from mobile device for sure and thus will be less compatible, less portable, less wearable, drain mobile device's battery faster. Therefore DAC V1 was created as basement on top of which other devices may come, like you mentioned.
Gotta start with how much I appreciate the way you explain the issues you are considering.

I also wish you success on this new device.

I am a weirdo so I would want your next level device to be a serious contender to unseat great units such as the Cayin RU7. Or some of the others out there that are also pretty special. So I would hope for something that is a real player and not just geared to a price point.

Balanced out 4.4 is a given. I would hope for something other than ESS (lots of good choices nowadays, CS, AKM, ROHM, R2R, DSD). Not that I don't own any ESS based units, I certainly do. But lately ESS seems to put a bright sheen on everything. I do know implementations can smooth this out, but not every design seems to recognize this subtlety.

I am currently listening to the RU7 fed by a iphone 15 Pro Max serving up the Pentangle via SACD ISO (DSD) using Neutron player. And it sounds absolutely tremendous and I thank you for that also.

Apr 27, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #6,425 of 6,431
I don't know much about an Honor phone. I gather it does not have circuitry to bypass Android limitations of 24 - 48. That could be an issue.

Are you using a good app like UAPP (I don't have any Android devices right now but that app was very good).

The fact that your dongles sound fine with laptops points to your phone. I think people like LG phone sound quality for what its worth.

I am an iphone person and most dongles work just fine with those.

Apr 27, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #6,426 of 6,431
I do not have this issue. I paused music for 7 mins, using UAPP as the music app.
Just had it happen again, it's not time related as I had just plugged it into my phone but the music was paused. I did have a Bluetooth audio device connected to my phone as well but I don't think that was the case the first time. Double checked the volume before pressing play and it was set correctly so something else is going on.

I've noticed that sometimes the M1P will start off at a lower volume before ramping up to the correct volume but other times it will start out too loud and ramp it down. So maybe there's a firmware bug with the amp level control? Whatever the issue is I'm not willing to spend a bunch of time to figure this out and possibly damage my earbuds so I packed it up for a return. Really disappointed because I love the sound it produced as it reduced the harshness I heard through other sources with several of my earbuds.

Has anyone ran into issues with the Questyle m12i? It seems to be my next best option in a similar price range higher price range (was thinking of the M12's price, not the M12i's).

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #6,428 of 6,431
Just a PSA to anyone considering buying Colorfly's CDA-M1P, don't leave it connected to your device with music paused for more than a couple of minutes. I left mine that way for maybe 5-10 minutes and when I came back and pressed play I heard a horrible screech that sounded like a modern fire alarm and was just as loud if not louder. I managed to unplug my earbuds from it pretty quickly and thankfully it doesn't seem to have killed my earbuds but I wouldn't connect anything you care about to it until you've made sure yours doesn't have this issue. As much as I like the sound signature of the M1P it's being returned as I don't want to risk any of my earbuds or make my tinnitus worse than it already is. Any suggestions for a DAC that has a similar sound signature with a better design and tighter quality control?
My experience with CDA-M1P has been mostly stress free, it warms up quickly because of its tight aluminum chassis. Once after changing sources from laptop to phone I got a very loud static noise from Tidal. It might've been some interference though as I was on a bus.

Hiby FC6 and Questyle m12i are reported to have a similar (or even more analog) signature. I will have the second one soon so can confirm later.

Apr 28, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #6,429 of 6,431
Do you think EPZ TP50 is a worth competitor to FC6? I see that it seems to be the best dongle around 100 euro right?

Should I pull the trigger or wait? Or maybe look for something else. I mostly use over ear cans
I tried out EPZ TP50 for the first time yesterday. Really like the synergy with Kefine Delci. Large stage and a lot of detail, many options, decent power. My impression is that it fares better in technical/electronic/pop music than Colorfly CD-M1P (which I prefer for simpler music that should sound "warmer").

Coming back to your question, it depends on your sound preference. FC6 is reported to have a significantly more analog tuning and a narrower, forward-facing soundstage. TP50 is between analog/musical and hi-fi/analytical, leaning towards analog. TP50 is also more powerful, has extra 4.4 output and more functions than FC6.

Also, Questyle m12i is reported to have an extremely close sound signature to FC6, despite having an ESS DAC instead of a R2R ladder (and being significantly cheaper). I am waiting it to arrive and if I like it, I'm skipping FC6 unless it's heavily discounted. I prefer to buy Fostex T50RPmk4 cans soon.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #6,430 of 6,431
I tried out EPZ TP50 for the first time yesterday. Really like the synergy with Kefine Delci. Large stage and a lot of detail, many options, decent power. My impression is that it fares better in technical/electronic/pop music than Colorfly CD-M1P (which I prefer for simpler music that should sound "warmer").

Coming back to your question, it depends on your sound preference. FC6 is reported to have a significantly more analog tuning and a narrower, forward-facing soundstage. TP50 is between analog/musical and hi-fi/analytical, leaning towards analog. TP50 is also more powerful, has extra 4.4 output and more functions than FC6.

Also, Questyle m12i is reported to have an extremely close sound signature to FC6, despite having an ESS DAC instead of a R2R ladder (and being significantly cheaper). I am waiting it to arrive and if I like it, I'm skipping FC6 unless it's heavily discounted. I prefer to buy Fostex T50RPmk4 cans soon.
Thank you for your answer.

As I check Andy review, he said that TP50 with the slow filter it get much more analog that is near to Dacport HD,M1P and FC6 is that true? If the filters work so good with TP50 then I think is a very flexible dac/amp.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #6,431 of 6,431
Thank you for your answer.

As I check Andy review, he said that TP50 with the slow filter it get much more analog that is near to Dacport HD,M1P and FC6 is that true? If the filters work so good with TP50 then I think is a very flexible dac/amp.
Thanks for reminding me, I was using the fast filters until now, need to relisten and confirm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back